Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PIII VS P4 VS TBird 1.4

Hey all,

I will be assembling a new machine that will be dedicated to Photoshop 6, Illustrator 9, After Effects [all past mentioned heavy usage] and a bit of Premiere and MSP6. The question is should I Go for

P4 1.4 with i845 Mobo and 1 gig SDRAM

P4 1.4 with i850 Mobo and 512MB RDRAM

TBird 1.4 with Aopen/GigaByte Mobo and 512MB DDRam

the price difference will not kill me, but i am in a position to SAVE. In reality the question is does the 850 MOBO with the RDRAM as stated above provide a noticable and justifiable benifit over the 845 as above stated ? and finally, How does the TBird 1.4 as above mentioned, compare ?

I am sick of reading facts and figures and and and.... I just want to know now, since my existing machine is dying and i want to overhaul it....

My usage will be as above stated..... also I thought of just buying a new ASUS Cusl2-c and just sticking into my existing machine [instaed of the old and tired P2b] if the new setups will not provide me with justifiable improvement... that would be 20% or more in overall performance....

How do AMD machines compare to P4 machine in terms of stability?

I'll probably be running win2k... unless u guys think i will gain a benifit from installing WinXP.

Thanx all.
    Last edited by dizzynoodle; 27 October 2001, 13:22.
    Asus P2B @ 100Mhz
    PIII 800 / 133Mhz running @100MHZ = 600MHZ!!! VIA Asus Slotkey
    SimpleTECH 128MB X 3/ 100Mhz
    IBM 9.GB Ultrawide Scsi LVD
    IBM 18gb secondary drive @ 7200
    Maxtor 37GB storage drive @ 5400
    Marvel G200 TV
    Microtek E6 scanner via scsi card {adaptec 1502}
    HP CD12ri CDRW 12X10X32 BurnProof!
    Creative Infra48 CD ROM
    Creative AWE64 Gold [ISA]
    Realtek Chip NIC 10/100
    21' Samsung Syncmaster 1000p
    Firewire card
    Mini USB hub
    8 port Compex 10/100 hub
    Sandisk Reader - USB
    Cordless Logitec Mouse
    Iomega Zip100 [the old ugly one!]
    HP 1220 C - A3 printer

the athlon would whip the p4 easily in terms of performance.
    would actually suggest you go for an AMD XP 1600(= 1.4GHz) or XP 1700(=1.47GHz) which has the Palomino Core & get
    an Epox 8KHA m/board which has the via kt266A chipset!

Comment

Whatever you get, I really think you should go for the full gig of RAM. Everything you're doing will eat memory for breakfast.

Which leads to bandwidth: The 845 can't really help you with SDR. RDRAM is high-bandwidth, high-latency. But a KT266<B>A</B> or Maybe even SiS board would help lots, and give you the Athlon's nice FPU performance.
      Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

From every benchmark I've read, the P4 crushes the Athlon in every content-creation prog there is (i.e. any Adobe product). Adobe is quick to to tweak their progs to take advantage of SSE/MMX/etc. If thats your primary use, I suggest the over-priced P4, but make sure you get an i850 board. The 845 is JUNK.

Bart
        Bart

Comment

I agree with The Rock.

If you do go for the P4 Stay away from the 845... Cutting down from RDRAM to SDRAM is taking away the one big advantage the P4 has over the AMD..

But if you really want to do content creation you should go for one of the New Apple G4's, According to my friend Steve they kick ass.... are way faster than even the super computers of today and have an OS that is starting to head towards Unix Territory... and everyone knows that Unix is where its at.

Oh. That last paragraph is supposed to be funny.
          AMD Phenom 9650, 8GB, 4x1TB, 2x22 DVD-RW, 2x9600GT, 23.6' ASUS, Vista Ultimate
          AMD X2 7750, 4GB, 1x1TB 2x500, 1x22 DVD-RW, 1x8500GT, 22" Acer, OS X 10.5.8
          Acer 6930G, T6400, 4GB, 500GB, 16", Vista Premium
          Lenovo Ideapad S10e, 2GB, 500GB, 10", OS X 10.5.8

Comment

Why not go VIA P4X266? P4 performance with DDR bandwidth.

There is Soltek SL-85DRV if you are interested. Msg me if you need help finding it.

AMD is a good option, but I have found soo many AVERAGE computer users who have a hard time getting AMD systems working properly for them. If you are a tinkerer and don't mind fixing up the occasional glitch/incompatibility/AGP problem, then go for the best Bang-per-Buck AMD system you can find.
            Epox 8RDA+
            AMD XP 2500+ w/ Alpha PAL 8045
            512mb Samsung PC2700 DDR
            ATI 8500 64mb
            Hercules Fortissimo II
            Tekram DC-315U
            Pioneer DVD 303S
            Pioneer DVR-106
            Zip100 Internal
            Logitech MX 500 Mouse
            Microsoft Natural Keyboard Pro
            Seagate Barracuda ATA IV 80 gig HD
            Seagate Barracuda ATA IV 40 gig HD
            LG Flatron 795FT+
            Sennheiser HD 570 Headphones
            Altec Lansing 641 Speakers

Comment

I, for one, wouldn't trust Via to make a P4 chipset. I don't think intel even licensed it, which means Via didn't get any help building it.
              Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

teez11

Hey all,

I'm getting even more torn... price is not the only factor... i can't afford the P4 1.8, so let's keep that out of the question....

I thought i would go AMD since the TBird 1.4 compared to the P4 1.8 somwhat... and even kicked butt in many reviews... Stability is important for me, i'ma tinkerer at setup time, but i hate keeping the cover off this new machine as it is a solid editing station, so no playing around on this one.

I thought i would go this combo....

TBird 1.4 /266
                GigabyteGA-7DXR or Asus A7M266
                512MB DDR Ram
                40GB Maxtor 7200RPM
                80GB Maxtor D740X 7200RPM Video

whatcha think ?

Alternatevily... i could wait a few days for the P4 prices to come down as expected and go for an Asus P4 1.4 rig with 512 RDRAM [which i'm finding hard to justify the price for - the ram that is!]
                Asus P2B @ 100Mhz
                Marvel G200 TV
                Creative Infra48 CD ROM
                Realtek Chip NIC 10/100
                Firewire card
                Mini USB hub
                8 port Compex 10/100 hub
                Sandisk Reader - USB
                Cordless Logitec Mouse
                Iomega Zip100 [the old ugly one!]
                HP 1220 C - A3 printer

Comment

The A7M266 is a good choice, although support for the chipset will dwindle now that it is discontinued. (Not like AMD supports it much in the first place)

Comment

I have that gigabyte motherboard, and its Ok. It does have problems with its voltages, you cant always rely on it to give the CPU what you tell it to.

The on board Raid is good, and there is a hacked BIOS to change it into a full version of the Promise controller.

The Dual Bios means if you make a mistake with a bios flash, you just boot of the spare, which I like.

If you arnt into the best of the best, the onboard sound is also quite good. I took my SB Live out, and the onboad is almost as good, but without all the headaches.

The Athlons do run hot though, so make sure you have a good case with enough air flow.

Unless you can get one of the new P4s I would stay away for now. Intel has changed their pin count again, and you might end up with no up-grade path if you arnt carefull.

I would say the P4 would be a better bet for what you are doing, but a 1.4 gig Athlon does me quite well, and I dont have any stability issues (now that Ive gone to watercooling).

Hope this helps.

Ali

Comment

If you're using those applications with Windows 2000 or XP professional version, why aren't you considering a dual board? Get a Tyan Tiger MP dual Athlon board and a pair of Athlon MPs with a gigabyte of RAM. This would cost you no more than the 850 with an expensive P4 and would whip the tar out of anything else you could possible afford.

From Pricewatch:

Tyan Tiger MP motherboard $206
                      Two AthlonMP 1800+ @ 268 $536

From Crucial

Four Crucial 256MB ECC Registered 2100 DDR @ 35 $140

Total price for this combo is $882.00 and you have what is probably the fastest available PC platform. Not bad, eh? Of course you want a nice case and at least a 400w power supply, and drives and other components of similar quality. That's the system I would buy today, no doubt about it.

Comment

get an athlon xp with a kt266a mother board as the xp has some multimedia enhance ments which will benefit you
                        is a flower best picked in it's prime or greater withered away by time?
                        Talk about a dream, try to make it real.

Comment

AMD tends to support its chipsets last time I looked. They had absolutely fantastic drivers for the 750 boards. Via never came close to that kind of quality. AMD was even putting out 750 driver updates for a long time after anyone was selling motherboards based on it.

Have things changed that much with the 760 boards?

Comment

I dont think AMD doesnt support its chipsets. I installed the AGP drivers off my mobo CD, and have not had a single problem. If it works, how do you support it.

The VIA drivers are out all the time because the hardware is crap. AMD actually know how to follow specs, so they dont have to release new 4 in 1s every time a new game is released.

Its the same as Intel, although intel is even better because they make most specs. Even SiS and ALI have half decent hardware, and therefore no need to 'support' their chipsets with new drivers every 2 days.

Just my thoughts.

Ali

Comment

so what happens now ? Are u gys saying that the Asus A7v266A is no good coz it uses Via chipset ? No good meaning interms of stability ?
                              Asus P2B @ 100Mhz
                              Marvel G200 TV
                              Creative Infra48 CD ROM
                              Realtek Chip NIC 10/100
                              Firewire card