Linksys router

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linksys router

I'm running into a problem with my Linksys Routher where it stays up for a couple minutes then I lose my connection. I run a ipconfig /renew to get a new IP address and I get a DHCP server not ready error. I pull the power cord off the Router and it finally assigns a number to my computer again. Its getting fustrating doing this every 10-15 minutes it seems like. Its been really bad this afternoon, but some times it runs like a charm without any problems. Any suggestions?

Scott
    Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

Pot shot: Routing tables? Ask your ISP to reset them.
    Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

I infer from your reference to ipconfig that the connection that keeps dropping is between you and the Linksys and not between the Linksys and your ISP. if that is the case then suggest you turn off the "Auto-negotiate" on your NIC and manually configure it to 10Mbps Full Duplex. 100Mbps is of no advantage to you unless you do quite a lot of file and printer shareing with other PC's in your house. The "uplink" side of the Linksys to your Cable Modem is 10Mbps and probably Half Duplex.

This will help to eliminate\confirm two possibilities:

1. The NIC and router unable to properly negotiate a speed/duplex setting.

2. "Flakey" patch cable that will cause problems from crosstalk, especially evident at 100Mbps. -- Replace it.

If this ends up with you running stable then up it to 100Mbps and see what happens.

If neither the auto-negotiation or patch chord seems to be the problem, turn off DHCP on the LAN side and assign your PC(s) static IPs. Static IPs on the LAN side are preferable in my experience anyway for PC to PC file sharing/games/print sharing. It is also much prefered if you need to allow external connections from the WAn side by port forwarding or DMZ.

Good Luck!

Home Brewer the Quintessential Alchemist!

Comment

Also: if you're using cable what cable modem and ISP are you using?

Dr. Mordrid
        Dr. Mordrid
        ----------------------------
        An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Concast@home and my modem is in my Sig

Comment

What firmware are you running on the Linksys Router??
            Alcohol and Drugs make life tolerable.

Comment

Its the lastest Rev from 9/28/2001

Comment

Hmmm....when I first installed my router I had to call and give the ISP (RoadRunner at the time, Comcast now) my routers MAC address. This is so your IP address can be dynamically changed by the ISP. You might call and see if they still need to do this.

Dr. Mordrid
                Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 28 October 2001, 18:57.
                Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Guys, I am a bit confused. GT 98 original enytry was: "I run a ipconfig /renew to get a new IP address and I get a DHCP server not ready error." This being a command line function makes me believe it is his PC that is losing the connection and therefore the address assigned by the Linksys DHCP server. I does not seem to imply that the router is losing the IP address assigned by the ISP (Concast@home). That being the case then there is no need to get the ISP involved, with all the joys that ensue. Not saying that it is or isn't ISP related, just would like to be shure of which side of the router is involved.

GT98 could you clarify which DHCP server is giving the not ready error?
                  Home Brewer the Quintessential Alchemist!

Comment

I'm getting the error from the router when I run ipconfig/renew from the command line in W2K. I'm starting to wonder if its the router giving me trouble or not. I went down to 10mb and I still run into the problem. I have a Dlink network card and the other three PC's in the house have Netgear cards in them. They seem to have the same problem as I do, but I need to do more investagtion into that. next I'll try permently assigning IP addresses to everyone and see how that goes.

For referance, It was running like a champ all day yesterday till about 9PM and then I lost my connection again. I rebooted the Router and was on my way again. I lost it again during the night while I was sleeping also. I'll double check event viewer to see what time it was for sure.

Scott

Comment

If you are concerned that this may be a router issue then it's time to start flashing. Try going back to v1.35/1.37 or so just to try troubleshooting the situation. The latest firmware gave me some grief until I manually set the MTU down to 1400, but I was getting different symptoms, all though eventually it locked up also.

Just a suggestion, maybe one you've already tried.

Al out.
                      Alcohol and Drugs make life tolerable.

Comment

GT98,

I've started to have the same problem. I'll be playing CS, then all of a sudden my connection will drop. If you reset the modem, the connection comes back. I'm going to start some testing here in a bit and see if I can stabilize it without reflashing. I'll post my results once I got some.

Jammrock
                        “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
                        –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Try setting the MTU to 1492 in the router setup pages.
                          chuck
                          Chuck
                          秋音的爸爸

Comment

Hmmm......

I'm using firmware version 1.40.1, Sep 10 2001 and don't have any connection issues.

If your D-Link is using a RealTek chipset that could be part of the problem.

Another problem could still be your ISP. Some don't like the idea of you sharing the internet connection and have started periodically checking for a MAC address that would indicate a router is present. When the software detects one it disconnects the offending system.

The solution is to copy the NIC's MAC address into the routers "MAC Addr. Clone" setups. This gets around the ISP's periodic snooping for a router by having it imitate a NIC. These setups are in the Linksys "Advanced" setups menu.

IF you try this don't forget to write down the MAC address of your router and NIC before you start. The MAC addresses of both your router and NIC are on the first page of the Linksys setups, but I'm not sure if cloning would change these displays.

Dr. Mordrid
                            Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 30 October 2001, 00:49.
                            Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Working...
                            X