New VIA IDE drivers for Windows XP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New VIA IDE drivers for Windows XP

The first is a new VIA IDE (3.14) driver dated 10/02/01 for the new Windows XP. This is the first VIA IDE driver for XP and is currently not included in the latest 4-1 drivers. Here is a list of the fixes:

1. First version for XP
    2. Support to uninstall driver from ControlPanel->Add/Remove Program
    3. Support Large Disk Feature(over 128 GiB)
    4. Support ATA133, VIA VT8233A SouthBridge

5. Support crashing system.
    6. Support slowing down disk access.
    7. Support reduced concurrency.

- Gurm
    The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
    If only life were as easy as you
    I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
    I would still get screwed

Comment

Gurm,
      Have you actualy tested those drivers?

Or

Do you always say so whenever someone mentions Via drivers?
      If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Via drivers ain't those the things that crash your machine ??

I've got to admit I have used them at work to solve problems but don't tell anyone.

At home I've always found my computers work better without them. But theres always a day when they won't.
        Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
        Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

I think if you having problems with a zip drive then this might actuall help!

Comment

I always say that about Via drivers.

I would *love* for someone to prove me quite wrong.

Via writes suck drivers. MS writes better drivers, and they didn't even invent the chipset.
            Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Look, the last 18 revisions of the 4-in-1's crash and burn with Windows XP. Why is it that when they modify a set so that it's "digitally signed for XP" that it will be different/better?

NO, I haven't tested them - and don't intend to. I _like_ my machine's stability, thanks.

- Gurm
              The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

Comment

hmmm .... the 4 in 1's is actually built into WinXP ... and with an Athlon XP and Via 4 in 1 v4.35v Win XP is quite stable !!
                Fear, Makes Wise Men Foolish !
                incentivize transparent paradigms

Comment

I run Windows XP and have refused to install those accursed 4in1's again. Is there ANY reason to install those under XP?

Bart
                  Bart

Comment

Kosh - no they aren't. The drivers built into XP are Microsoft's drivers for the VIA chipsets, not VIA's.

Bart (Rock) - no, no reason whatsoever. You will find that they degrade your concurrency and transfer speeds to the VIA IDE channels.

- Gurm

Comment

I admitt that I don't use Via's IDE driver on W2k either.

I don't use 3d party Ide drivers at all on W2K since the time tho Intels Ide drivers killed my CD-RW.
                      If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Even Via once said Microsoft drivers were better doesn't say a lot for Via really.
                        Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
                        Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

The ONLY reason I see to use VIA's drivers instead of MS's are if you have hardware that isn't working.

Example - some people can't get their video cards to work correctly without the VIA AGP drivers... although this does NOT apply to WinXP.

If your CD drive isn't showing up properly, maybe you need these drivers. Otherwise... nevermind. Speed at the expense of CPU power and concurrency is bad.

- Gurm

Comment

Working...
                          X