Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Digital Video to CD/DVD Advise Please???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Digital Video to CD/DVD Advise Please???

Hi Everyone....

I need advice on Digital Video to CD/DVD please

I was elected to take baseball videos of the boy 14yr old little league this year - WORLD SERIES and want to put the videos on CD or DVD - especially large format - even the TV?

OK - Specifics.... 8 digital tapes @ 15 gigs each!

Each tape was uploaded to harddrive to give 4 avi's @ 4 gig each (due to limitations on software capture).

The avi's look great, but are so big.

GOAL

To give each family a set of CD(s) to watch - preferably on TV or computer.

PROBLEMS

What format shoudl I use - quality is important
    I guess that means DVD? Can I do this economically? When I do an .avi and filesize goes from 4 gigs to 330 megs, the video only looks good on a resolution of 3" x 2". And doesn't an .avi limit me to a computer and no TV? Is that really that bad?!?

I did invest in 1 80 gig drive, a friend at work has Adobe Premier. I have Studio DV (Sony's EZEditor). I have acapture card and a CD Writer.

I am very willing to learn and listen. I have read articles but some leave me more confused. I am deluged with the information out there. I know a fair amount about Illustrator, Photoshop, Corel, Freehand, Front Page, etc...

I have searched for other posts on this site that might relate to mine. I hav eprinted out 7. Will review tonight.

I would be pleased for any assistance

thanks Kindly

kaiserbud
    Last edited by kaiserbud; 26 October 2001, 21:38.

Unfortunately, unless each family is willing to buy a new DVD player from a rather short list of truely compatible players to watch your videos, DVD is not practical at this point in time. See my threads from a few weeks ago about the Pioneer A03 DVD-R burner.

I've not watched enough DVD-R played back on computer DVDROM with DVD player software to say if compatability is good or not. I've not seen any of the "glitches" that IMHO ruin DVD-R on standalone players, but then I've not watched more than 10 minutes of DVD-R playback on any computer because I (my audience) don't care about this. Cinemaster99, WinDVD2.3, and PowerDVD 2.55 all appeared to play my DVD-R correctly in superficial testing (<10 of watching).

SVCD on CD-R or CD-RW is even less compatible. VCD on CD-RW is perhaps more compatible than DVD-R is right now but still is more miss than hit for anybody who already has bought a DVD player that didn't specifically look for VCD on CD-R compatability when buying. IMHO VCD can't match a good VHS tape in SP mode and you'll have two VCDs for 2hr video instead of one VHS tape.

I've some evidence that the MSP6.5 DVD plug-in may be the cause of most of my problems, but the software bundled with the A03 was looking to take about 4 days (yes days!) to transcode 45 minutes of DV to MPEG2 on a PIII-500. Also I see no way to get the claimed 2hr DVD-R capacity unless the data rate is dropped to 4000Kbps or less since the real capacity is 4.36GB not the claimed 4.7GB.

I've a new HP DVD100i that I'm starting to test so stay tuned, but how many hours of edited final video are you planning? DVD-R is down to about $6 a blank but the HP uses DVD+RW which is about $15 a blank, although you can re-use it to fix your authoring mistakes. Look for a new thread in a couple of days when I've finished my current testing.

I'd say edit in Premiere or whatever and make VHS tapes in SP mode (2hr/tape), everyone has that and compatability is assured.
    Good VHS tapes are about $1 each "on sale" at Best Buy, Fry's, etc.

Maybe by next years' 15 year-old world series the DVD-R/DVD+RW mess will have been straightened out. I'm hoping its authoring software problems not flakeyness of the media itself that is the problem.

If you are willing to spend ~$600 for a DVD general burner and another $400+ for "good authoring software" there are people claiming on rec.video.desktop that you will get "good compatability". Since software is not returnable, I'm not willing to throw good money after bad on the promises of someone who may be a shill.

--wally.

Comment

Thanks Wally

Just got your post this morning. I read about 7 articles last night. I did print out the one where you and others were discussing the A03. I see where one person suggested software problems as you mentioned this morning.

If DVD has to wait till next year - I can deal with that. I just have gotten so many mixed signals and info.

Due to perceived advantages (compact/quick/quality/ease/easier) with CD / DVD / Digital, and replaying the tapes 15 times to create the VHS's, I wanted to stay away from VHS. I used another tream parent's digital video upon their suggestion, but I felt funny asking for it afterwards for editing, etc, as I did last year to produce VHS. I believe I now have access to one I can borrow.

In overview, I have 8 - 1 hr tapes that can be direct downloads - editing is not really necessary - WYSIWUG. Actually, I am pretty good with the camera. I turned off between pitches, etc. There are some 'oop's', but that's ok. I assume since they say60/90lp and I believe the camera was set to high quality - it should indeed be 1 hr.

If I did VHS tapes, that would be 4 VHS tapes per family ....60 tapes! I could direct copy 'from Camera to TV to VHS' like I did last year. I just hated to lose the quality! And I wanted to give everyone something really nice.

Is there a way to copy the avi onto VHS or have I lost the pure digital high quality? By the way - what format is the Digital tape information in?

I made the investment for the 80 gig drive. I can use Premier afterhours at work. I am (tongue in cheek) prepared to spend money just to get this thing resolved....(did I say that?)

I don't mind a DVD expenditure ($600?) IF it will solve my dilemna. If it doesn't, I am not eager for more more technology headaches.

Please more input - I appreciate the responses.
      Last edited by kaiserbud; 27 October 2001, 08:08.

Comment

If you are using Windows 2000 you can create a single file and simply dump this back to the DV cam and record its analog output. No replaying of any tapes.

If you are using win9x if your system is fast enough for timeline output you can export the timeline back to tape. This saves harddrive space but can be tricky to make work glitch free, its easier on w2k but still troublesome enough that I find creating a final DV file and sending this to the DV cam is more reliable. Its easy to export a timeline of five or ten minutes, getting two hours without windows deciding it needs to do something that causes your 3.6MB/s data stream to "glitch" is a good bit harder. But neither case requires any mechanical wear and tear on the camcorder.

--wally.

Comment

Good morning Wally

Again thanks for the info. I will see if the digital video camera is available for me to use.....

...a tad bummed that it appears I am heading back to older technology - especiallly spending $300 for 80 gig drive and $200 + for software/hardware, much less all the time, research....

Comment

$300 for an 80GB drive? Seems a bit steep unless it was an external 1394 model. I picked up a 7200 RPM 80GB Seagate for $179 at Fry's last week. In yesterday's ad 7200 RPM Maxtor's are $129, and a 7200 RPM 80GB WD is $139 after $100 rebate.

www.pricewatch.com is your friend.

To answer some of your other questions DV is in DV format, not a smart alec answer its format created specifically for this market. Key factor is "loss-less" transfer from camcorder to computer and back (you do lose a bit each time you "render" transitions etc, but the loss is insignificant compared to analog SVHS editing.

You're looking at 60 tapes or 60 DVD-R. At this point you can make 60 tapes with far less hassle than 60 DVD-R or DVD+RW and be out of pocket ~$60 for blank media vs. $360 minimum.
            Add the compatability hassles with players people already have and it should be clear that this is not for the casual user!
            Go tp one of the big box stores and look for DVD players that list DVD-R or DVD+RW compatability as a feature. You'll find few if any right now.

Buy a distribution amp (www.avtools.com) and borrow a bunch of VCR's you can make 60 tapes in groups from 4-16 at a time.

--wally.

Comment

Hey Wally

Yeah - the 80 gig was 279 @ Best Buy. 3 weeks after I bought it - it was $249 and had like a $40 Best Buy In STore Certificate. Bummer.

Anyway - you know I did think about the costs you mentioned in your other article - $6 per DVD CD. vs the $1

I will check out your distribution amp and also go to Fry's today as usggested.

Your expertise is GREATLY appreciated !

Comment

Working...
              X