X-Server version? Wheris?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• X-Server version? Wheris?

Ok, so I installed RH 7.2 and I have the new driver tarball.
    How do I find out what version of X I am running?
    I am completely innocent as to Linux.
    TIA
    chuck
    Chuck
    秋音的爸爸

Two ways to do this:

1 (easier, 99% chance it being correct): Type <I>rpm -qa | grep XFree </I>
    That will go through all the packages you have installed, and tell you which ones happen to have XFree in their name. There will be a version number in the package name.

2: Only easy to do if you DON'T have X starting when you boot up. We'll go here if you have problems with 1.
    Last edited by Wombat; 26 October 2001, 22:35.
    Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Chuck Redhat 7.2 uses the latest version of XFree86, version 4.1.0.

Comment

For graphical logins, your XFree86 log file is at /var/log/XFree86.0.log. The version should be at the very top.

As Ant saiid, RH7.2 comes with 4.1.0.

-Rahul
        Porsche: MSI K7N2-L, Athlon XP 2100+, G400 32MB DualHead, 1G RAM, 2xMaxtor 20 GB, Gentoo Linux
        Quicksilver: HP Omnibook 500, PIII 700 MHz, 512MB RAM, 30GB, RedHat Linux 9.

Comment

easy way

in any terminal (be it xterm or console) just type
          X -version
          You wanna piece of me? here, *crunch*, o.k. not _that_ bit.

Comment

Cool!

Works in OpenBSD 2.9, too.
            ECS K7S5A Pro, Athlon XP 2100+, 512 Megs PC-3200 CAS2.5, HIS Radeon 9550/VIVO 256Meg DDR

Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe C Mobile Athlon 2500+ @ 2.2GHz, 1GB PC-3200 CAS2.5, Hauppauge MCE 150, Nvidia 6600 256DDR

Asus A8R32 MVP, Sempron 1600+ @ 2.23GHz, 1 Gig DDR2 RAM, ATI 1900GT

Comment

It should work on any OS that runs Xfree86, (free,Open,Net)BSD, all versions of linux, and possible Darwin (OsX, but that's just a rumour).

waiting on the second of my new drives before I play with my new G550 under X, but if you have any more questions, feel free to ask.

C

Comment

X -version won't always work

If /etc/X11/X points to a different XFree86 version than the one in your path (/usr/X11R6/bin), then the version that "startx" runs and the one that "X" runs will be different. So to be perfectly sure, you have to run "/etc/X11/X -version".

-Rahul
                Porsche: MSI K7N2-L, Athlon XP 2100+, G400 32MB DualHead, 1G RAM, 2xMaxtor 20 GB, Gentoo Linux

Comment

I think you've got that one the wrong way round.

if you want to check the version of the X that should be running when you do "startx"
                  then,

which startx
                  will tell you where the command lives,..
                  on my systems startx lives at /usr/bin/X11/startx which references
                  /etc/X11/xinitrc, which in turn specifies /etc/X11/X.

which is a symlink to /usr/X11R6/bin/XFree86

if i do a "which X" I get pointed to ->/usr/bin/X11/X (a symlink to a setuid script which is a wrapper around /usr/bin/X11/XFree86

(just to complicate things, /usr/bin/X11 is a symlink to /usr/bin/X11R6/bin.

its all convoluted, so the quick and simple X -version is easiest.

but hey ho. for redhat peeps, then `head /var/log/XFree86.0.log `
                  will tell you what version you're running.

Comment

Exactly!

Basically, it is that convoluted. That is why the most generic way, and the one that will tell you what is actually running (not what some part of some config thinks it's running), is to look at the X log. Where is the X log for graphical logins on non-RedHat systems anyway?

-Rahul

Comment

Working...
                    X