shame on matrox...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• shame on matrox...

ok. this is really upsetting. I just installed win2k/ntfs/sp2 only to find out matrox really did drop support of hardware mjpeg. how could matrox be so lazy and so stupid? others have leaked out hardware mjpeg support. why is matrox unable to support its own hardware in win2k for video capture? on the flip side of the issue, the linux community supports the hardware mjpeg. that is the next step for this box if I cannot get it working somehow. also, I am really not happy about the good possibility I will have to reinstall win98se just to do video capture with matrox. I speak for many when I say this: matrox really shot themselves in the foot and cut their nose to spite their face!

are there any workarounds for capturing video under win2k/ntfs/sp2???

thankyou.

sysconfig:
    mainboard: abit kt7a
    processor: amd athlon750 tbird
    ram: 384pc133 crucial micron
    videocard: matrox marvel g400 tv
    scsi controller: symbios wide scsi pci (40meg/sec)
    hard drives: system disk-ibm 10k 9.1gig sca to widescsi, capture drive-hitachi 18.2gig sca to widescsi x2
    cdr: 2 or 4 plexwriter 4/12 drives (depends on what I am doing)
    soundcard: turtlebeach santacruz
    modem: dsi3536 pci modem
    monitor: ibm p70 17inch crt
    Last edited by Hpar_; 26 October 2001, 12:44.

Nothing personal, but this is really old news. If you do a search you will find atleast 100 posts concerning this. You will also find several workarounds for Win2k and either HW or SW MJPEG capture. It is possible, there is a post with the procedures and links to the necessary files.

On a side note, I talked to one of he Matrox support guys and the "leaked" beta drivers are the exact same as the final drivers with the exception of MJPEG support.

It does work for some people, I just happen to be one of the lucky ones. Do a search, I'm just too lazy to look for it right now, it is here.
    WinXP Pro SP2 ABIT IC7 Intel P4 3.0E 1024M Corsair PC3200 DCDDR ATI AIW x800XT 2 Samsung SV1204H 120G HDs AudioTrak Prodigy 7.1 3Com NIC Cendyne DVR-105 DVD burner LG DVD/CD-RW burner Fortron FSP-300-60ATV PSU Cooled by Zalman Altec Lansing MX-5021

Comment

hehe. true, it is old news but, I never did get around to actually trying it out till last night and so really what I need to know is the workarounds which I am searching them out now. but, I did install the posted "Extras: Patch to add MJPEG support" and it seems not to work or how do you use it? shouldnt virtualdub just see it? what editing or non editing programs should I try other than virtual dub? I have pinnacle studio 7.04, and ulead media studio 6.0, and premiere 6. is the pcvcr util not usable for capture at all with the mjpeg patch? so I have some questions is all. thankyou.
      Last edited by Hpar_; 26 October 2001, 12:56.

Comment

Unfortunately (actually not that unfortunate) PC VCR does not do capture anymore. Use either Virtual Dub or my absolute favorite, avi_io. It is close to Virutal Dub except that it is only for capturing, it does segmenting (splitting long captures into 2G files), locks the framerate extremely well (no more re-rendering in MSP 6) and allows you to do custom framesizes and use any compressor that you have registered (that is capable of course). I believe that avi_io is a better capture app because it is so small and has almost no overhead, but I love Virtual dub too.

For editing I use MSP 6 in 99% of the cases. I tried out Premiere, but it is not very good with the Marvel and MSP6 is just quicker and has smart rendering.

To enable the HW MJPEG I follwed the steps here (the 3rd post down has the right files for english). I followed them with a fresh install and it works great with all of my capture programs.

The HW hack does not work for everyone, but I think that is better than Matrox has let on. I think that it actually works better for me in Win2k than it did in Win98SE. Of course I have a new PC that I threw it in (upgraded from PIII 700 to Athlon 1.4G) and no problems.

Good Luck
        WinXP Pro SP2 ABIT IC7 Intel P4 3.0E 1024M Corsair PC3200 DCDDR ATI AIW x800XT 2 Samsung SV1204H 120G HDs AudioTrak Prodigy 7.1 3Com NIC Cendyne DVR-105 DVD burner LG DVD/CD-RW burner Fortron FSP-300-60ATV PSU Cooled by Zalman Altec Lansing MX-5021

Comment

ahhh cool. I will try that then. as of right now, I just finished resetting up my system. now I am using win98se for capture and win2k/sp2 for everything else. so far it seems to be working out just fine doing it that way. I always had a certain # of frame drops before but this time I loaded all the hardram I had (2x256 and 1x128=640megs) disabled the swap file completely in win98se, and now I can capture in any resolution using the highest quality setting in pc-vcr. I always got frame drops in between files too. now I can capture with any resolution I wish without frame drops at all just by disabling the swap file with a decent amount of ram. actually it worked just fine with 384megs too but I decided to add all the ram I had just in case. so far I have not been able to capture with avi_io at all using win2k. I will keep trying until I get it working. again thanks for the info.

sysconfig:
          mainboard: abit kt7a
          processor: amd athlon750 tbird
          ram: 384pc133 crucial micron
          videocard: matrox marvel g400 tv
          scsi controller: symbios wide scsi pci (40meg/sec)
          hard drives: system disk-ibm 10k 9.1gig sca to widescsi, capture drive-hitachi 18.2gig sca to widescsi x2
          cdr: 2 or 4 plexwriter 4/12 drives (depends on what I am doing)
          soundcard: turtlebeach santacruz
          modem: dsi3536 pci modem
          monitor: ibm p70 17inch crt
          Last edited by Hpar_; 28 October 2001, 15:38.

Comment

Working...
          X