• Show
Clear All

• New harware, and questions !

Hi all!

Long time no post, uh!

I am buying some new hardware. *grin*

So, my questions are:
    What do you think about it?
    What do you think my fps will be at Counter Strike? I have had problems with 800x600... (With amd k6-3@450MHz) Do you think that I am able to go up to 1024*768 and play at 30 fps at worst?
    What OS is best do you think? XP, 2000 or ME? Some people says 98SE is best but...
    Sure, I can wait but it is hard... I want to tell someone about my system too
    Later when I get online I will tell u my score.

New hardware is:
    Asus A7V266-E
    2*256MB DDR OCZ Cas2 PC2100 (Micron)
    AMD AthlonXP 1800+ (Palomino)
    Zalman CNP5001 CU
    SB Audigy player bulk
    Antec SX635 (350W)

And from my old one, this will be in my new computer:
    Matrox G400MAX
    MAGXJ810 (19")
    UltrapleX 40MAX
    Plexiwriter 4-12
    Intellimouse Explorer USB
    Netgear311
    10MBit LAN to internet

About everything... I think this computer will rock! But, Matrox, will u please get me a new gaming card! It is the only thing left for me to upgrade now.

Bye now, frag u later.

Your old PC sounds similar in spec to my old PC which I recently upgraded from a K6III/475 with 160mb to a Duron 1ghz with 256mb.

My FPS under Half-Life TFC is 50-60fps at 800x600 in 16bit colour on my new system (before I swapped my 20gb Hdd for a 60gb RAID system)

According to a lot of people around here, and from my experience too, G400s benefit from higher clock speeds up to about 800mhz, then gains are minimal from 800 upwards. I think someone said that over 1200 there just isnt any FPS gain.

You might have more success by overclocking your FSB and making the AGP bus run faster - G400s will apparently work okay with AGP bus speeds upto 89mhz!
    Athlon XP-64/3200, 1gb PC3200, 512mb Radeon X1950Pro AGP, Dell 2005fwp, Logitech G5, IBM model M.

Comment

Hmm, Ok! Thanks for the fast reply.

But can U overclock the G400MAX and turn up the FSB?
      How much can U overclock a G400MAX? Will it help bring up my fps any?

Comment

Depending on exactly what Motherboard you have depends on how much you can do.
        My motherboard gets its AGP and PCI speeds from a fraction of the FSB speed - usually 1/3 for PCI and 2/3 for AGP for a 100mb FSB - so when I pushed the FBS from 100 to 112, my PCI bus speed increased to 37 and AGP to 75mhz.
        Increasing my FSB also pushed my ram speed from 133 to 149

I cant quite tell you how much an increase this will give your FPS in Half-Life, as I quit playing it after the last patch screwed everything up except the cheaters!
        Athlon XP-64/3200, 1gb PC3200, 512mb Radeon X1950Pro AGP, Dell 2005fwp, Logitech G5, IBM model M.

Comment

Most Max's can only handle ~10% OC
          "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
          X