Huh windows xp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Huh windows xp

First install first screw up. Although I can create new users I cannot modify the group polices. It says a server service hasn't started. The event viewer doesn't record any error messages and error message doesn't tell you what server service has failed (pretty dumb). Logged in as administrator so that ain't it. Also the windowsupdate page doesn't work good £uck up already.
    It also chewed up my Norton Antivirus and speed disk in windows 2000 although I told it not to do any changes to the file system.
    Orrible desktop isn't it.
    Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
    Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

you'll need norton 2002 for full XP contipability!

Comment

This is why I'm still running Windows 98SE , and I only started using that because my Dos6.22 and Windows 3.1 couldnt make proper use of any HDD over 2gb

Better the devil you know
      Athlon XP-64/3200, 1gb PC3200, 512mb Radeon X1950Pro AGP, Dell 2005fwp, Logitech G5, IBM model M.

Comment

Which version are you installing? Please don't say "home". (urk)

Also... YES you need Systemworks 2002 (or just Antivirus 2002), earlier versions will farg up nicely on WinXP.

- Gurm

P.S. So turn the 'orrible desktop off. Nobody's forcing you to use it. I don't.
        The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
        If only life were as easy as you
        I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
        I would still get screwed

Comment

try windowsupdate again, for some reason, it wasn't working for a while yesterday, I have used it with XP before and since. I assume you're using XP pro, I know nothing about XP home
          [size=1]D3/\/7YCR4CK3R
          Ryzen: Asrock B450M Pro4, Ryzen 5 2600, 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V Series DDR4 PC4-25600 RAM, 1TB Seagate SATA HD, 256GB myDigital PCIEx4 M.2 SSD, Samsung LI24T350FHNXZA 24" HDMI LED monitor, Klipsch Promedia 4.2 400, Win11
          Home: M1 Mac Mini 8GB 256GB
          Surgery: HP Stream 200-010 Mini Desktop,Intel Celeron 2957U Processor, 6 GB RAM, ADATA 128 GB SSD, Win 10 home ver 22H2
          Frontdesk: Beelink T4 8GB

Comment

Sorry should have said the programs are running under win2k. Yup I did say that and when installing I chose the option not to change the file system so thye should still work.
            Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

No, no. Wait a moment. You did an UPGRADE from Win2k?

Ok, first off I never recommend that. I know it's "supposed to work". But it never really does 100%.

So, my best advice is to backup your stuff and start again with a fresh install.

As for "not modifying the file system", that really only means that it won't format your hard drive, not that things are guaranteed to keep working.

- Gurm
              The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

Comment

Nope not an upgrade a dual boot system. The main prob is that I put it on the same partition as win2k.
                Don't worry the drive I used was a ghost image of the orginal. So I'll just reformat it and start again.
                Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Just to let you know re-installed it on it's own partition and it working fine.
                  Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Ahh... you can't put multiple OS'es on the same partition. It just won't work. Ever.

- Gurm

Comment

It does sometimes. I mean when your Boss is tight over how many harddisks you can have your computer what can you do.

Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

I don't really see the need to upgrade to xp if you're already using win 2000,which is essentially the same as xp minus the fancy desktop and a couple of extra features(built in firewall,cd burn software,etc...).

What i do notice is that it's quite a system hog,even when compared to win 2000 pro,at least the rc2 version that i tried a couple months ago was.

The thing that really pisses me off about it though,apart from the activation issue,is that the pro version of xp only adds support for a few extra networking options as well as smp capability relative to the home edition but it costs twice as much.

Big time rip off if you ask me.....
                        note to self...

Assumption is the mother of all f***ups....

Primary system :
                        P4 2.8 ghz,1 gig DDR pc 2700(kingston),Radeon 9700(stock clock),audigy platinum and scsi all the way...

Comment

"A few networking options..."

Try this - the home version is COMPLETELY crippled. You'd find it useless for anything but basic websurfing and FTP.

- Gurm

P.S. If you think XP is just Win2k with extra bells and whistles, you haven't really used it that much, now have you?

Comment

Originally posted by Gurm
                            Ahh... you can't put multiple OS'es on the same partition. It just won't work. Ever.

- Gurm
                            Huh....???

I have W98Se and W2000 on the same partition.

And I have no problems whatsoever!!

I dont even have any problems with NU2001....
                            If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

One thing I was glad about when I installed my Abit KT133a motherboard that was that win2k was installed on a second hard disk. When the 686b bug wiped it out at least I had 98 running on the other disk until I got my win2k back up and running.
                              Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Working...
                              X