XP Launch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XP Launch

Anyone see the XP launch on TV this morning? Typical MS drumbeat...

Bill Gates and Ed Koch at a Starbucks in NYC, trumpeting the virtues of XP's wireless networking was a hoot! Ol' Koch, slack-jawed and wide-eyed at Billy boy reading his lines off his laptop, was both hilarious and embarrassing to watch. Those guys made host Regis Philbin look like Lawrence Olivier!

Kevin

KRSESQ
    LOL.
    Bill Gates is OK. He just lacks personality.

regards MD
    Interests include:
    Computing, Reading, Pubs, Restuarants, Pubs, Curries, More Pubs and more Curries

Comment

just more proof he's an evil alien
      "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Would you rather have had Ballmer the Berzerker rampaging across a stage, screaming at the top of his lungs?

Comment

At least Ballmer is entertaining, the way WWF is entertaining!

I see they're using Madonna's "Ray Of Light" as their promo music. Hope that works better for them than "Start Me Up" did.

Kevin

Comment

CNET's public opinon analysys;

CNET is the world's leader in tech product reviews, news, prices, videos, forums, how-tos and more.

Gibson Research: "XP will be the hackers tool of choice";

Exhaustive version: http://grc.com/dos/winxp.htm

Summary of issues: http://grc.com/dos/xpsummary.htm

Dr. Mordrid
            Dr. Mordrid
            ----------------------------
            An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Originally posted by KRSESQ
              I see they're using Madonna's "Ray Of Light" as their promo music. Hope that works better for them than "Start Me Up" did.
              Hmmm. What would be a good "Madonna alternative" to the Start Button?

Paul

Comment

Normally I respect Steve Gibson, but this time he's being a dundering butthole. My WinXP is just as secure as my Win2k was - well I'll qualify that and say that under Win2k I was 100% invulnerable AND stealthed, whereas under WinXP I'm 100% invulnerable and NOT stealthed... so I guess that counts as a smidgen less secure.

I think the problem is that the average user won't know how to close the gaping security holes that Microsoft parades around as "features".

- Gurm
                The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
                If only life were as easy as you
                I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
                I would still get screwed

Comment

Did you see the new Commericals on Monday Night Football for WinXP? The one with the people flying around? I thought it was pretty retarted and would give new meaning to "System Crash"

Scott
                  Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

Comment

Oh, c'mon. Marketing in general is retarded. It's a job requirement.

"You want to work in marketing?"

"Yes, sir!"

"Are you functional?"

"In what way?"

"Can you eat, bathe yourself, and navigate your way from home to work without major mishap?"

"Yes, sir!"

"Sorry, you're too smart to be in marketing! NEXT!"

- Gurm
                    The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
                    I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
                    I would still get screwed

Comment

My winxp is 100% invulnerable AND stealthed, seeing as I used MS' "firewall" on my dial up connection whereas my win2k was not stealthed. My winxp is acting as the NAT machine on my network. I've also installed SocketLock so Raw sockets are no longer available
                      [size=1]D3/\/7YCR4CK3R
                      Ryzen: Asrock B450M Pro4, Ryzen 5 2600, 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V Series DDR4 PC4-25600 RAM, 1TB Seagate SATA HD, 256GB myDigital PCIEx4 M.2 SSD, Samsung LI24T350FHNXZA 24" HDMI LED monitor, Klipsch Promedia 4.2 400, Win11
                      Home: M1 Mac Mini 8GB 256GB
                      Surgery: HP Stream 200-010 Mini Desktop,Intel Celeron 2957U Processor, 6 GB RAM, ADATA 128 GB SSD, Win 10 home ver 22H2
                      Frontdesk: Beelink T4 8GB

Comment

To make my copy of winXP secure I just cooked my raw sockets until they were nicely browned... slapped some ketchup on it and then ate it... You can't get any more secure than that.
                        AMD Phenom 9650, 8GB, 4x1TB, 2x22 DVD-RW, 2x9600GT, 23.6' ASUS, Vista Ultimate
                        AMD X2 7750, 4GB, 1x1TB 2x500, 1x22 DVD-RW, 1x8500GT, 22" Acer, OS X 10.5.8
                        Acer 6930G, T6400, 4GB, 500GB, 16", Vista Premium
                        Lenovo Ideapad S10e, 2GB, 500GB, 10", OS X 10.5.8

Comment

100% invulnerable? I bet a nice flamethrower would take out a whole shelf full of XP software down at Best Buy.. hmmm.. scientific experiment time?

Comment

Working...
                          X