Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• State of the Graphics Card industry...Fall 2001

Well Boys and Girls heres my View of the Gfx Card Industry as of now:

Nvidia: Geforce 3Ti series....nothing but a warmed over verison of the Geforce3 series. No new features execpt a higher price tag and memory Speed. Good news is that it doesn't look like a next generation Product will come from them till next fall, Finally breaking their 6 month product refresh cycle. 2d Quatily Problems might still be there..though I have no first hand knowelege of this.

ATI: Radeon 7500/8500 are released to much fan fair. Websites where finally prasing a product that could Finally beat Nvidia at their own game. After the hands-on reviews, they are very disapointed to find out that nothing has really changed at ATI...the Drivers still suck and to top it off ATI has been Opitimizing/Cheating at the bench marks for Quake3. The OEM/Retail Clock Speeds are another thorn in ATI side for the lack of info and confustion that a comment that was made a month ago stating that the OEM/Retail Clocks would be the same.

Matrox: Well still nothing new here. G550 has been a major dissapointment with the OEM (Matrox's supposed main clients) with no OEM wins. Still using techongly at based of a product that is 18 months old. Many rumors of Next Generation card coming "soon". Also a rumor that the card will be based or have tech licenced from Bitboyzs. For more depressing info see here:
    Link .

STmicro: Makers of the Kyro I/II series of cards. No news since the Kryo2 has come out. Rumors of a higher clocked card have so far turned out to be just rumors. The kryo III is supposed to be a higher clocked card with T&L and a programable Pixel Shader built into it. Make next year we will see it.

BitBoyz: Lots of rumors circulating on this front. we might accucally see something from them by the end of the year if the Rumors turn out to be true...with BB record its really doubtful that we'll see anything from them....Also see Matrox for rumors....

3Dfx: Like Elvis they are still dead but think they are the King

Any comments feel free to post them!

Scott
    Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

Matrox: Patience, young padouan.

3dfx: Not as dead as you might think, with the new Win2k and WinXP drivers that were released a couple days back. See http://ntcompatible.cjb.net for more details!

nVidia: Still suck. Fast, but blurry. Ook!

ATI: Not as bad as everyone makes out. The new drivers are far from "disappointing", the optimizations in Quake3 are nowhere near as horrendous as everyone thinks, and if you want the best of both worlds you can use the Omegadrive's Anthrax drivers available at http://209.145.56.247 which are very well done.

Kyro2: Just got a HUGE WinXP speed boost, AND a video acceleration boost to boot. Kyro2 ultra and Kyro3 are being kept quiet right now - which is exactly like PowerVR just before a release.

BitBoyz: It's been almost 10 years since Future Crew and Triton disbanded (some showing from them in 1994, but not the entire group). After the 1 year mandatory military service, that still leaves 7 or 8 years for them to produce EXACTLY NOTHING. Oopsie!

- Gurm
    The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
    If only life were as easy as you
    I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
    I would still get screwed

Comment

How could you forget Trident?

Comment

I think after hearing that for nearly two years the line is well and truely worn out, we haven no patience left!!

Originally posted by Gurm
        Matrox: Patience, young padouan.

- Gurm

Comment

Originally posted by Gurm

Kyro2: Just got a HUGE WinXP speed boost, AND a video acceleration boost to boot. Kyro2 ultra and Kyro3 are being kept quiet right now - which is exactly like PowerVR just before a release.

- Gurm
          hey Gurm,

Did PowerVR release new drivers again for the Kyro2? I got the new DX8 drivers and I was really disspointed with them. I installed them on my current system and they hosed the system every time while running Operation Flashpoint in XP. I got rid of XP and put Win2K on and had the same problem, but without the registry getting corrupted. I went back to the older drivers in W2K and they where alot more stable.

I have a ATI R8500 on order with Dell and I'm waiting to see how that puppy works, I figure by the time I get it they should have 2 new revisions of drivers!

Scott
          Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

Comment

Yeah, there are new drivers - they're from Hercules but should work well since they are the reference drivers. PowerVR themselves are being idiotic as usual and not releasing the drivers yet, but we all know Hercules just slaps on new .inf files, so you'll be fine with 'em. They bring the Kyro2 back to its old performance levels (Win2k DX7 levels) with WinXP and DX8.1, so you're all good.

Unfortunately, since the Kyro2's Quicktime performance (and 2D performance in general) sucks so bad I've been forced to go ATI (or back to my G400).

- Gurm
            The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
            I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
            I would still get screwed

Comment

TdB

try here: http://www.powervr.com/Downloads.asp
              they "might" be a newer build than the hercules ones, they have a higher version number.
              This sig is a shameless atempt to make my post look bigger.

Comment

Working...
              X