Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ATI un-optimizes Quake 3 image quality

Similar, more damning article, in German:

Latest news coverage, email, free stock quotes, live scores and video are just the beginning. Discover more every day at Yahoo!

By means of the new " optimized " ATi driver this however definitely no more is given. ATi reduces simply the image quality, in order to stand there in bench mark better.
    FiringSquad contacted ATI and nvidia to see what they thought -- but since Matrox = image quality king, it would be interesting to see what Matrox (and their users) have to say.

I have seen reports of this throughout the web over the last week or so. All I can say is, if it's true it's kind of sad.

I would so rather have a high quality picture and a slightly slower game, than an ugly fast game. Cough *nVidia is the devil* Cough.

Needless to say, I still have a G400 MAX powering my main system, and the 21" monitor connected to it. Now that is a sweet combo.

Comment

the truly crappy part of this is that if they had to stoop to doing this then ATI is sunk, and we have no choice again for a gaming card. Its a G4ce3 or a G4ce3 Ti 200. Thats about it. Dammit!!
      AMD XP2100+, 512megs DDR333, ATI Radeon 8500, some other stuff.

Comment

Official response from ATI

From (H)ard|ocp:

Also, ATi has given a statement pertaining to this issue.

John B. Challinor II APR - Director, Public Relations at ATI Technologies Inc. "ATI optimizes its drivers on many different levels, including the application level, the game engine level, the API level, and the operating system level. That is, some optimizations work only on specific games, while others work only on specific game engines or only on specific operating systems. In the case of Quake III and Quake III Arena, we were able to achieve certain optimizations specifically for that game, as we do for other popular games. Our engineering team is committed to providing the best visual experience for the user in all applications, with the optimal combination of high frame rates, image quality, and stability."

or

"Hey we just turned your Q3 texture quality down without your knowledge, it's not a sneaky way to improve benchmark scores, it's optimizing!." -Anonymous Gerbil on Tech-Report
        Last edited by orangejulius; 24 October 2001, 21:38.

Comment

Bohrn,

You would have to pay me to use an Nvidia card. I would still buy the Radeon 8500 over the gcrap3 anyday. I realize the 8500 has its problems but the major ones should be ironed out ina few months time. Nvidia will make you go blind fater than wanking off will.

Dave
          Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

Originally posted by Helevitia
            Bohrn,

You would have to pay me to use an Nvidia card. I would still buy the Radeon 8500 over the gcrap3 anyday. I realize the 8500 has its problems but the major ones should be ironed out ina few months time. Nvidia will make you go blind fater than wanking off will.

Dave
            Yeah, but will a geforce grow hair on your palms?

Casey

Comment

I kind of like the hairy palms, makes it feel close to the real thing Now we just need the Radeon 8500NOOD vicdeo card. Flashes high quality images of nekked women

Dave
              Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

Or with RSN
                Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Another comment from TR

"the sad thing is that i still think ATI's image quality is superior in the highest settings. Compare the ati hi-quality quack screenshots with the gf3 hi-quality quake screenshots. Notice how the GF3 still screws up some shadow effects in the corners, and it's textures introduce some noise in the render? ati's seem smoother, and have no bizzare shadowing at corners." -loie on TR

I noticed this too.

Since FiringSquad was comparing image quality, one would of thought they'd show some Matrox reference shots ...

Anyone care to duplicate these images on their Matrox card?

Comment

Originally posted by Wombat
                    Or with RSN
                    oh yeah! I forgot about that!

Dave

Comment

Originally posted by Helevitia
                      ...Now we just need the Radeon 8500NOOD vicdeo card. Flashes high quality images of nekked women

Dave
                      I think that this is gonna be a feature in the G800 Or maybe just in the Asus drivers

and on a more serious note, I dont want to buy an Nvidiot card either, but the Gfart3 Ti200 is cheaper and faster than the ATI Raedon7500. And it will have better producer and developer support. I can't afford either the Ti500 or the 8500. I love this G400, but it is just a bit too slow now. Dammit!
                      AMD XP2100+, 512megs DDR333, ATI Radeon 8500, some other stuff.

Comment

Working...
                      X