X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Generic 1394 and MSP6: where we're at

Generic 1394 and MSP6, where we're at

The 'gotcha's':

The first 'gotcha' is that there's no timeline playback of type 1 DV projects out the generic 1394 port yet. The only way to get a project back out the 1394 port is to fully render a new file. The consequence of this is that projects are limited to the Windows filesize maximum of 4 gigabytes (just under 20 minutes of DV video). Since DV camcorders are quite good for linear editing, however, projects can still be done that exceed <20 minutes, but you have to do them in <20 minute segments.

The second 'gotcha' is that when you use long captures in a project (over five minutes) you will have the audio progressively going out of synchronization the further out toward the end of the clip you get. At 19 minutes out, the sync will be off by about 8 frames. It's not noticable under the 5 minute point, as it's only going to be off by one or two frames at five minutes. From that length outward, however, audio sync (if it's critical for your project) will increasingly become an issue. This audio drift only happens to long source clips. You can still render out a full size <20 new file composed of video from short clips without any problems.

The third 'gotcha' is that the Microsoft DV codec that you have to use with MSP6 and a generic card demonstrates generational losses. This is something that is not going to be a major problem for the amateur/casual user, but it is definitely something that the serious user is going to find annoying at the very least, and intolerable for complex projects. This can be seen by taking a short clip, and creating a new DV type 1 file from it with 'recompress' checked in the options. Take the newly created file and do the same thing, generation after generation. At 10 generations out, the degradation is bad enough even for the completely uninitiated to see. Since each transition and effect has to go one generation beyond the source clip, there can possibly a be critical color that shifts even with only one render. I personally haven't seen it on anything I've done just yet, but I figure it's only a matter of time... Generally, however, this generational loss issue won't be a problem for the amateur, hobbyist, or casual user.

The fourth 'gotcha' is that you really need to run everything on Windows98 Second Edition to have the least painful setup experiences. There is also an update patch that needs to be nailed in, called '243174up.exe'. It's available on www.siig.com in the customer service section for driver updates to IEEE-1394, and also on the MSP6 install disk. When this is run, it installs and registers three files:
    \\windows\system\qcap.dll (7/14/99)
    \\windows\system\qdv.dll (10/1/99)
    \\windows\system32\drivers\msdv.sys (9/30/99)
    It will not, however, overwrite older versions of these files. Consequently, before running 243174up.exe, first take the three files (if any of them exist on your system) out of those subdirectories and move them into another location for safekeeping.

The plus points:

The biggest plus point for generic 1394 and MSP6 is that there's nothing on your system that's 'proprietary'. There are no 'recommended' lists of motherboards, etc. that you have to be stuck with. And there are no more of those picky little 'gotcha' problems that always have cropped up with Matrox, Pinnacle, and other manufacturers of proprietary NLE 'solutions'. The generic IEEE-1394 OHCI Compliant, TI based boards are akin to comm ports in that the hardware is a mature product, and all it is is a simple port to move data back and forth. Windows98SE installs these boards as easily as it does a comm port, or a modem. There are NO problems with the 1394 port drivers at this time.

Since generic 1394 porting of DV isn't proprietary, it's simply a matter of time before there is more and more software around to play with it. Also, the current issues with MS DV codec, and MSP6 timeline playback will all ultimately resolve, sooner or later. Meanwhile, at this stage of the game, one CAN do DV with the generic IEEE-1394 board and MSP6, and not have to deal with vendor specific 'proprietary' issues that end up with your having spent another pile of money on other hardware that you 'needed', just to get your proprietary capture board to work right.

The quality of native type 1 DV NLE with a generic 1394 and MSP6 is miles above the Marvel (with all its problems), for instance. I used a Mystique220/Rainbow Runner for over two years, complete with its painfully slow upgrade support from Matrox, along with the necessity of having to completely reinstall Windows every couple of months to keep it working decently. Even at that, there were always the dropped frame here and there, and various levels of frustration over the quality of the final video that I put onto VHS. What I'm currently putting onto VHS with all DV source and editing at this time is the kind of video that I always wanted, and is so much better than the Rainbow Runner that it's been out of my system ever since I installed MSP6.

The bottom line in all of this, however, isn't really whether you should rush right out and jump onto this 'generic' IEEE-1394 bandwagon or not. The bottom line is all about the quality of the final video on your project. If you're new, or if you're an amateur, a hobbyist, or casual NLE enthusiast that's thinking about making the leap from analog to DV, this route is beginning to be a viable option. DV is definitely better quality video than 8 or Hi8 or VHS, in the low end part of this NLE market. There is only one thing that will really make a difference in the quality of the final outcome of an NLE project, however, no matter what kind of computer equipment you end up with: The camcorder that you use, and the ability to use it. If you're ready to 'go DV', don't spend your limited funds on some exotic DV capture card, spend it on the camcorder. By the time you've learned how to use it, the 'generic' route probably will have gotten even better. Right now, even with the known issues, it's enough to get projects out that look absolutely GREAT!

P.S.- I will never dis the DVRaptor, but I'm going to stick with my $80 generic 1394 card, at this point!

One word: GREAT!

I can only add, that, since OHCI 1394 port is really generic, you'd be able to connect other devices to it. Right now, there are not so many of them (hard drives, some printers and scanners) but eventually...
    Example - take a look at that beauty: http://www.fcpa.com/product/mo/mo_640_1300fe_info.html

DGCom
    DGCom

Comment

Excellent article. But just adding one point... re-compressing DV format will always be somewhat lossy, with what ever version of a codec you are using. There is no "generation loss", as the straight copies with no effects have equal quality, but always when you do an effect, color correction or what ever, you really have to decompress the dv stream, apply the effect and re-compress (sorry about stating the obvious that everybody knows anyway).

DV's compression ratio is just a bit too harsh to allow repeated recompressions.

The fact is though (I have heard) that MS's codec is not the best in this respect... In critical cases (or for critical effects) you may want to convert to uncompressed format while editing, and only finally compress back to DV. That is, if your hard disk space and patience allow...

M.
      year2000:Athlon500/MSI6167/256M/10GIBM/6GSamsung/18GSCSI IBM/CL2xDVD/RR-G/HPPSPrinter/G400DH32M/DeltaDC995/MX300/ADSPyro1394/AHA2940UW/3comXL100

Comment

Dmitri: I'm still waiting to see the first news on anyone trying to capture DV via 1394 while at the same time writing the same data stream to a storage device via the same 1394 card. It seems to me that this might have problems, but it remains to be seen.

Meek: Your point about recompressing is an expression in words that has been bubbling around in the back of my mind ever since I first encountered this whole issue. You're absolutely right, of course, and it would be unreasonable to assume that any compressed video could possibly be decompressed, changed, recompressed, over and over again without some kind of undesirable changes occuring. The software codecs, especially, would be more prone to losses in this respect, I should think. RT2000, for instance, uses hardware codec, and so proves to evidence the best performance on multigenerational recompressions. But since the DVRaptor software codec demonstrates better performance than MS software codec, people who have discovered this have gotten a bit upset...

Personally, I'm absolutely not concerned about it at all with my setup, since it's not giving me a problem. I had noticable changes of first generation recompression using Matrox MJPEG in the past, and even that wasn't a big deal for me. Going from that to DV was a vast improvement!

Comment

Yes, I heard a lot about problems with using more then one device simultaneously on 1394 bus... Will see. If it become popular, they would probably make possible to transfer directly from camcorder to storage, without computer (may be using special control device...). Anyway, it's already usefull - very fast removable external deevices...

DGCom
          DGCom

Comment

Working...
          X