Capturing mpg4 from RRS, possible?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Capturing mpg4 from RRS, possible?

Hello, I use the Matrox Rainbow Runner Studio to capture video from VHS for conversion to VCD (mpg1). From the MJPEG AVI, I use VirtualDub to convert to mpg4 at bitrates from 3,300 - 4,000. The mpg4 AVI is then converted to mpg1. A really time consuming process, 10 hours to make a 1 hour VCD.
    To cut out one step from the process, I tried capturing in mpg4. But this resulted in countless dropped frames. I wonder whether this is due to my slow processor (Duron 700 at 770). I have only 128 mb of SDRAM, would an increase to 256 (or more) help? Or would this be impossible even with a faster processor.
    My IDE 7200 drive is adequate for the MJPEG captures at 740x480, so I suppose this is not the bottleneck.
    Hope you can suggest something. Thanks in advance.

CrispuloV,

You could cut you time down by cutting out the MPEG4 encoding and going straight to MPEG-1 from MJPEG (and it will look a bit better probably).

Also I don't seem to have any trouble capturing 320*240 DivX Low Motion video on my system. 704*480 needs at least a 1GHz system (if not alot more) for DivX/MPEG4 or MPEG-2 encoding.

Hope this helps

dsp
    1.8GHz PIV (Northwood) @ 2.5GHz
    512MB Corsair PC2700 @ 2-2-2 1T
    MSI 845PE FISR
    8.4GB Quantum CR
    40GB Maxtor 5400
    MSI 40X12X48
    Coolerguys Windtunnel IV
    SB Audigy
    Parhelia (210/600)
    19" Dell P991
    Win2kPro
    Intel Gigabit Network

Comment

Didn't think of that, thanks

Thank you for the insight. It did not enter my mind.
      I hope there is a way to make the RRS capture to mpg1, though. Will post as soon as I am able to try that.

Comment

CrispuloV,

About capturing to MPEG-1 straight it can be done but you need a program for that, like Power VCRII from www.Intervideo.com. I got it free with a PC Plus magazine and it allows for capture in either MPEG-1 or MPEG-2.

The reason I didn't mention this before (besides forgetting) is that as has been pointed out many a time offline MPEG encoding has a higher quality than realtime encoding.

MPEG-1 works perfectly on my machine in capturing live video on my machine.

dsp
        1.8GHz PIV (Northwood) @ 2.5GHz
        512MB Corsair PC2700 @ 2-2-2 1T
        MSI 845PE FISR
        8.4GB Quantum CR
        40GB Maxtor 5400
        MSI 40X12X48
        Coolerguys Windtunnel IV
        SB Audigy
        Parhelia (210/600)
        19" Dell P991
        Win2kPro