Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

XP Warning (not really but you can laugh at me)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XP Warning (not really but you can laugh at me)

So I got a legal copy of XP (what can I say I have connections) and upgraded my Win98SE system to XP.

Everything went fine until I managed to royally screw up my system.

I switched the keyboard driver to from the default to what I thought was the right one. It wasn't. I realized too late that I had picked the USB version of keyboard. Now the keyboard doesn't work at all in windows. I couldn't login because windoze wouldn't recognized the keyboard.

I tried to fix it by reinstalling XP but when it got the the point where you put in the code I found that it was still using the wrong driver.

After a bunch of pissing about I got on my Win2K computer to look for a solution on the net. I found that F8 still works and it gives you an option to restore to last good setup but I found that I had screwed that up when I tried to reinstall XP.

Now here I am trying to save as much stuff as I can using the command prompt and a win98 boot disk so I can do a format and a clean install. Its 0200 here so I'm not going to bite the bullet until later tomorrow so if anybody can help me out I'd love it. I don't mind have to do a clean install, I was going to do one later this week anyway but it would save my butt a lot of trouble trying to figure out if its c:\progra~1\newfol~1\newfol~3 I really want or some other darn thing

So here's my words of warning. I know some of have you said them before and I know I've said them before but if something is working just fine as it is ...... Just leave it ALONE.

Best advise is, never ever ever do anything MAJOR to your system late at night, when you're tired or under the influence

You're excused this time (BUT DON'T LET IT HAPPEN AGAIN!!! hehe)

Hope you get it fixed straight away
    "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Yeah, I find it extremely disturbing that MS includes the option to change the keyboard driver, and also includes what LOOKS like a better keyboard driver (for example, one might think "hey, it has a driver for my natural keyboard Pro, maybe it'll use all those buttons then without intellitype installed!), but then that driver hoses your system.

Two thoughts:

1. Why not purchase a $5 ps2->usb keyboard converter? If that's not an option where you live, I could loan you mine...

2. Don't do that any more.

- Gurm
      The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
      If only life were as easy as you
      I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
      I would still get screwed

Comment

Re: XP Warning (not really but you can laugh at me)

Originally posted by Falken
        So I got a legal copy of XP (what can I say I have connections) and upgraded my Win98SE system to XP.
        Hmm wh did your "conections" not give you the oem preinstalation kit? You should be able to fix the problem with it.( not 100% sure of this!)
        According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless...

Comment

Guru - nice thought, but... if you change the keyboard driver and make it unworkable, you're reinstalling. D'oh!

- Gurm
          The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

Comment

Re: Re: XP Warning (not really but you can laugh at me)

Originally posted by Guru

Hmm wh did your "conections" not give you the oem preinstalation kit? You should be able to fix the problem with it.( not 100% sure of this!)
            I got permission from my boss to install an unlimited licence version we got at work at home so that I might "play" with it at home. That way (I reasoned to him), when it comes time to upgrade the systems at work (if the powers that be decide to I mean why not they paid for it the dummies) I'll know what to do and obviously what not to do.

Comment

Gurm, I didn't think that he could just slap that adapter on. I thought that the peripheral had to have USB logic on-board.
              Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Wombat - nah. My old Natural Keyboard Elite came with one of those... I mean, MAYBE it had USB logic in it, but I kinda doubt it.

- Gurm

Comment

Time to add my name to the list to be laughed at...

I pulled a similar stunt on XP as well. Put KB driver as USB version of my keyboard and rebooted when it told me to. Surprise surprise, I couldn't log into my account(In my genius, I password protect my admin account as well as my power user account)
                  I managed to save my install by using the On-Screen Keyboard from my GF's account. I wasn't certain if it would work(4 accounts and only my GF's account didnt' have a password protected account), but WinXP actually saves what is typed on the OSK(Ctrl+C) after you switch users and allows you to paste that into your password box.
                  You might be able to fix your install in a similar fashion.
                  Epox 8RDA+
                  AMD XP 2500+ w/ Alpha PAL 8045
                  512mb Samsung PC2700 DDR
                  ATI 8500 64mb
                  Hercules Fortissimo II
                  Tekram DC-315U
                  Pioneer DVD 303S
                  Pioneer DVR-106
                  Zip100 Internal
                  Logitech MX 500 Mouse
                  Microsoft Natural Keyboard Pro
                  Seagate Barracuda ATA IV 80 gig HD