Prototype standardized MSP 6.5 test file

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prototype standardized MSP 6.5 test file

For the purpose of testing one MSPro 6.5 system vs. another etc.

Since video clips are large using a color clip can both keep the download small but still provide enough action by fading the color from one extreme to another over its duration. On Va there is one that fades from black to white and another on Vb one that fades from red to blue, that way both chroma and luma get in the act. A couple of moving paths are applied, also using variable color clips, that fly around each other over color clip that uses the color balance filter to vary its appearance. A test-long marquee title that repeats for the duration is also in the mix.

One idea for a change in it is to add a Cool3D project file to the project. Any other ideas?

Dr. Mordrid
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Perhaps a small mp3 audio snippet that can be crossfaded a few times just to add some audio to the mix. Doesn't need to be more than 50k or so.

Good job on the test project. This will also run on MS Pro 6.0

I volunteer to post a table of results on the web if you would like.

Now we can finally see how all of these different CPU and motherboard combinations perform.
    - Mark

Core 2 Duo E6400 o/c 3.2GHz - Asus P5B Deluxe - 2048MB Corsair Twinx 6400C4 - ATI AIW X1900 - Seagate 7200.10 SATA 320GB primary - Western Digital SE16 SATA 320GB secondary - Samsung SATA Lightscribe DVD/CDRW- Midiland 4100 Speakers - Presonus Firepod - Dell FP2001 20" LCD - Windows XP Home

Comment

Hmm...MP3 'eh?

The reason I left audio out was so it would run without any additional files, but if I post the one with a C3D project file I guess an MP3 could go as well. The +C3D is running about 850k though.

Dr. Mordrid
      Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Work computer:

Dell Dimension 8100 with Intel Pentium 4 processor (1.7gHz) with 512mb of rambus memory

Home computer:

self-assembled AMD Athlon system built around a SiS 735 chipset motherboard by Elite Group called the K7S5A running a 1.4gHz AMD Athlon (266) with 512mb of PC2100 DDR memory.

I just ran Doc's test on both computers.

Results:

Intel Pentium 4: 7:34
        AMD Athlon Thunderbird: 8:38

Remember, Ulead MediaStudio Pro 6.5 features code that has been *optimized* for both 3DNow! and the superior instruction set of the Pentium 4 called "SSE2."

So I am very pleased with my home video workstation as I paid less than $900 (including 19" monitor) for it by shopping carefully on the http://www.pricewatch.com Web site.

The cost/performance ratio of the AMD Athlon is - in my view - quite good.

I'd like to see some dual Pentium III tests.

Comment

Now....try both with Instant Preview turned on and time it with a stopwatch/clock or whatever.

Dr. Mordrid
          Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Wow. I wasn't expecting this after our Pentium 4 1.7gHz computer edged my home Athlon 1.4gHz by about a minute using Terry's test file.

After I created the .avis on both computers, I converted them to MPEG-2 using VBR at 5500.

Surprise... THE ATHLON WON... this time.

That's right. The 1.4gHz Athlon created the MPEG-2 file in 4:22.
            The 1.7gHz Pentium 4 did it in 4:58.

Perhaps the SSE2 isn't as crucial where the MPEG encoding is concerned.

Jerry

I'll run the test again on the P4 tomorrow to be certain.

Comment

GoMotion is FPU dependent. Since the Athlons have a faster one....

GoMotion Pro's SDK is going out to developers this month and it's more dependent on SSE2. IF Ulead issues products using that SDK things may very well change again.

Dr. Mordrid
              Dr. Mordrid

Comment

I ran the test again.

Same results.

Athlon 1.4 is definitely faster than the Pentium 1.7 where MPEG-2 encoding is concerned.

Incredible.

Comment

Hi Terry !

I made your test with my new Athlon XP 1800+ / 512 MB DDR-RAM and the time to create the avi-file was 7:50.

The time to convert the avi-clip to MPEG-2 with a variable bitrate of 5500 was 2:29 with a motion estimation of 10 (normal) and 3:53 with a motion estimation of 20 (very slow).

You created a really nice test-project ! Thank you !

Bye, Uwe.

Comment

Very interesting.

The trend continues...

The Athlons are superfast for MPEG-2 encoding...

...but not as fast as Pentium for DV rendering.

Man - your MPEG-2 encoding time was awesome!!!

JJ

Comment

Here are some results on "slow" machines.

PIII-800 Preview: ~18min MPEG2: ~20min.
                      Dual PIII-500 Prieview: ~22min MPEG2: ~26min.
                      ([edit] I was confused I have 800 Cu not 850 in this box)
                      Both are ASUS BX chipset motherboards with 1GB SDRAM

Dual test wasn't "fair" as I had two Email clients and WinVNC running minimized in the background while surfing these forums during the rendering -- but that's why I got the dual CPU in the first place.

Going from ~20 to <5min on the MPEG2 encoding makes very intrested in the 1.4G Athelon!

--wally.
                      Last edited by wkulecz; 28 October 2001, 07:27.

Comment

Hi all

I've been away for a while, but managed to run the test on my ageing PIII-500.

Got ~24 mins .... may be time to upgrade!

Rod

PS
                        Great idea Doc!

Comment

Silly question. What exactly are you measuring? Is it the time to for MSP to build a preview in the timeline or to actually create a file? I am running MSP6.0, so I may be able to add a comparison from there. I also have the mPEGG encoder plugin, which by the way does not allow you to encode audio with an Athlon CPU. It works fine with just video and creating a seperate wave file for the audio, then using TMPGEnc and the toolame plugin for audio.

Anyway, I would like to take a look to see how I compare, but what exactly are you using for the measurement?
                          WinXP Pro SP2 ABIT IC7 Intel P4 3.0E 1024M Corsair PC3200 DCDDR ATI AIW x800XT 2 Samsung SV1204H 120G HDs AudioTrak Prodigy 7.1 3Com NIC Cendyne DVR-105 DVD burner LG DVD/CD-RW burner Fortron FSP-300-60ATV PSU Cooled by Zalman Altec Lansing MX-5021

Comment

I timed both. Load the project, press preview and time the render. When this completed I did File->Create and choose mpg NTSC-DVD template 5500 VBR and timed the file creation.

Doc is working on one that will have both Premiere and MSP projects to produce the same video, then we can get some seriously useful info about MSP6 vs. MSP6.5 vs. Premiere6 vs. Premiere6 with RT hardware.

--wally.

Comment

Yup, I'm hoping to have the new projects ready soon. I'm targeting the following;

1. MSPro 6.0 and 6.5.

2. Premiere 6 generic

3. Premiere 6 + RT-2000 + MVT 3.0/3.1 (which have realtime & hardware rendering for 60+ Premiere 6 f/x)

Those results should be very interesting.

Dr. Mordrid
                              Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Working...
                              X