Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NTFS accessing from Win9x (utility made by Sysinternals)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NTFS accessing from Win9x (utility made by Sysinternals)

NTFS for Windows 98

The Freeware version's supposed to give you read only access, for writting you have to buy the pro version.

Haven't tested it yet, mainly because I installed XP Pro on a FAT32 partition (dual boot with 98). I'm thinking of reinstalling now on NTFS, but untill then, could anyone try it to see if it works ?
    Also, are there anymore such utilities ?

Edit: Ups, forgot! they also have a DOS version NTFSDOS and of course a pro version of that with write acces.
    Last edited by Admiral; 22 October 2001, 12:08.

Used the full version for quite a while on Win2k and win98. Works well.

Rags

Comment

That was quick, thanks Rags

Comment

The DOS version doesn't work for Win98->Win2k/XP partitions to save its own life.

The Win9x version, while it is slower than cold molasses, does work pretty well. In fact, if you bother to do an Astalavista search, you can probably turn up the full version. But you didn't hear it from me!

- Gurm
        The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
        If only life were as easy as you
        I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
        I would still get screwed

Comment

I'm having problems with it, after I provide it the requested files and reboot it tells me that the driver cannot be loaded and to check if ntfs.sys and ntoskrnl.exe are of the same installation.

What gives ? Is this its way of telling no XP support ?

Oh, and after I uninstall it I'm still stuck with the "ghost drive" that I cannot acces.

Comment

I often have this happen. Try replacing one or both of the files with the version from Win2k.

- Gurm
            The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

Comment

Don't have Win2k installed, so I can't get the files.

For those of you stuck with the non accessable drive, do a search in C:\Windows for files containing text: Winternal and delete them (except for system and user.dat). Be sure to delete the vxd file related to Winternal (the virtual driver) you find in C:\Windows\System\Iosubsys.
              After that open the Start menu, select run and type in system.ini, hunt down the line refering to that vxd file (something like device=C:\Windows\System\Iosubsys\....vxd) and remove it.

Sorry I can't provide you with the name of the file, I was too pissed and too quick to get rid of it. (nt*.vxd)
              Last edited by Admiral; 23 October 2001, 05:38.

Comment

Err... don't need it installed. Grab the files from the i386 directory of the win2k cd.

- Gurm

P.S. Yes, you might have to work with MS's dos-mode "expand" command.

Comment

I worked with WinZip, thanks
                  (kinda like extracting the ICD from the G400 driver files)

It works now.

Comment

Working...
                  X