Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MSPro6.0 & W2k blows away 4G barrier but....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MSPro6.0 & W2k blows away 4G barrier but....

I think this is an issue that Microsoft are admitting. See the following Web site:

http://support.microsoft.com/support...&SA=ALLKB&FR=0

By the way, the following site concludes by saying there is a not-completely-tested-fix available.

http://support.microsoft.com/support...&SA=ALLKB&FR=0

Comment

I also have---FROM ULEAD---a tentative fix for Type 1 DV video audio static.

Comment

MSPro6.0 & W2k blows away 4G barrier but....

Executive Sumary.

If you are looking to get ULEAD Media Studio Pro 6.0 and Windows 2000 to overcome the 2G or 4G AVI and/or Fat32 file limitations forget about it. Yes captures to NTFS partitions can be much greater than 4GB in a single file and the resulting OpenDML AVI file plays back without a hitch in Media Player and loads into the timeline of MSPro6, but that's about it. Beyond about the 18 minute mark audio sync is lost and exported video has loud "static" added to the audio.

Details.

I installed win2k and Win98SE to two seperate drives and setup a dual boot system.

Voodoo3 2000 AGP video
        FastTrack66 60G Raid0
        Hauppauge WinTV/Go
        Netgear 310FX 100BaseTX network
        Pyro Firewire card
        ISA SoundBlaster16
        ASUS P2B with PIII-500 & 256MB PC100 SDRAM
        No overclocking
        ACP BIOS enabled (my mistake!) but all power management is turned off in the BIOS.
        Sony TR7000 Digital8 camcorder

I won't go into the details of the Win98SE stuff as its all been said by others. Using the MS firewire drivers and TI device control the Pyro and MSPro6 are basically functional
        as long a one stays below 2G on captures. ULEAD video capture in version 6 appears to be every bit as buggy as it was in v5.2. The MS DVcodec has problems leading to poor quality titles and transitions. This is old news thanks to Jeff B and others, I see the same problems as they have reported

Under W2K Ulead Video Capture is so buggy as to be almost unusable. Device control is much worse than under Win98SE. Only MS device control lets me do anything, and it only worked after I set the "options" to match the numbers as were in the TI device control under Win98SE. Again this is old news to anyone who has been paying attension.

I converted my FastTrack66 from FAT32 to NTFS
        from a W2K command prompt with: "convert G: /fs:ntfs /v" Reasonably fast, uneventful and no reboot needed! ~1GB of existing files were preserved (I had backed them up just in case).

After much cussing I got Ulead video capture to start the camcorder and capture. After 45 minutes I had an ~9G file. The rest is as described in "Executive Sumary" above.

Perfect capture as far as I can tell and the audio appears to be in sync throughout, although my source was not the best type for checking audio sync due to loud background music. But the key fact is that audio quality was "perfect" when played back from the raw capture with Media Player. Other than perhaps device control issues, these bugs are clearly at the feet of MicroSoft and/or Ulead not ADS since the problems are not in the raw firewire capture file. This is too bad as ADS seems more responsive than either Microsoft or Ulead at fixing bugs (not that that's saying much) :-(

I selected ~1min segment near the end of the file in Ulead Video Editor and did File->Create->Video. Choose DV type 1 (default) and "preview range only". A few minutes latter I had a "working" DV AVI file via "smart render" Problems: audio sync was displaced and "static" was added to audio. Again these bugs are in win98SE if you push the limits and go above 2GB which is ~18 minutes into a DV capture.

Anyone know of a analog capture card with DirectShow capture drivers? Price and resolutions supported please.

--wally.

Comment

Thanks Jerry, hopefully the fixes will come soon.

Sorry about the typo, 18 min is about the 4GB
          mark in a DV file not the 2GB like I had in the original message.

See Jeff B's threads for better details of the audio sync and static issues. I can only verify that w2k doesn't fix it.

--wally.

Comment

Looks like MS is only admitting the problem on win98se. I haven't done much DVD playback, but I've not noticed any audio problems on DVD playback so far, but I certainly see the audio problem they are talking about on firewire in bot w98se and w2k.

You are obviously much more in tune with the official info out of MS and Ulead, please be so kind as to post news of w2k fixes here when you learn of them.

Thanks!
            --wally.

Comment

Working...
            X