Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

.AVI to QuickTime Converts: Which Audio Codec?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• .AVI to QuickTime Converts: Which Audio Codec?

I've noticed - when converting Microsoft DV Type 1 to QuickTime DV (NTSC), I am given a wide array of audio codec choices.

Which is best?

These are the QuickTime options:

1. 24-bit Integer
    2. 32-bit Floating Point
    3. 32-bit Integer
    4. 64-bit Floating Point
    5. ALaw 2:1
    6. IMA 4:1
    7. MACE 3:1
    8. MACE 6:1
    9. QDesign Music 2
    10. Qualcomm PureVoice
    11. uLaw 2:1

Many... but not all... seem to accomodate the 48kHz, 16-bit setting.

Did you ever get an answer to this question? I'm enough of a novice that the video side of things is confusing enough for me, now the audio has more for me to scratch my head over. Thanks alot. I hope someone has some good info on this.

Comment

IMHO, Quicktime lacks a decent audio-codec, and that's probably the most distracting thing of it. No chance to embed a file with mp3 (at least none that I know of), and the only codec roughly comparable with mp3 (the QDesign Music) only offers too low bitrates to be of much use.
      If you want a lossless compression, fine. But who wants the audio-part of a movie to be larger than the video-part?
      But we named the *dog* Indiana...
      My System
      2nd System (not for Windows lovers )
      German ATI-forum

Comment

No - I'm still hoping to hear from somebody on this one.

JJ

Comment

Maybe not too much help, but the u-Law and a-Law are for embedding audio in web pages. Not very good quality, high compression.

As for the others, who knows...Quicktime just confuses the hell out of me.
          WinXP Pro SP2 ABIT IC7 Intel P4 3.0E 1024M Corsair PC3200 DCDDR ATI AIW x800XT 2 Samsung SV1204H 120G HDs AudioTrak Prodigy 7.1 3Com NIC Cendyne DVR-105 DVD burner LG DVD/CD-RW burner Fortron FSP-300-60ATV PSU Cooled by Zalman Altec Lansing MX-5021

Comment

Working...
          X