Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DV Camera as a Webcam

Hey Everybody,

I wanted to use my Sony Cam as a webcam. I have it hooked through my Adaptec firewire card, on a WinXP system. The camera works fine with video camera software, but none of the webcam software seems to detect it (except for CuSeeMe). The only thing with CUSEEME is that the video is really slow (granted I am running 1600x1200x85HZ on my G200 (16M)) I have heard that some of the other video-conferencing software has better video speed, like ISPQ and MS Netmeeting, or even MS Messanger, but none of them are able to detect my camera. I tried Yahoo Messanger, but the same result.

Are any of you guys having simliar problems? What other software do you guys use for video-conferencing ???
    ASUS P2B-DS REV 1.06 D03 w/ DUAL 1.4GHZ Tualatins; Matrox Parhelia; M-Audio Delta 410

Apple Powerbook G4 - 1.33GHZ

Most webcam software won't detect a firewire device because most webcam software operates on the VfW (Video for Windows) standard and the video stream sent through firewire is WDM (?) standard.

I've used the Windows Media Encoder 7 to broadcast via a firewire camera, though on my machine I had to attach a separate cable to import audio through the line-in (the sound wasn't present through the firewire stream).

- A

Comment

Another problem with using camcorders is that many have a 5 minute timer which turns them off if they aren't recording or playing.

Dr. Mordrid
      Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 22 October 2001, 10:23.
      Dr. Mordrid
      ----------------------------
      An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Hi All,

I've been trying to do the same thing and haven't gotten it working (I've got the added bonus of trying to run it through a networked pc which most chat apps seem to loathe).

I've heard and read (but not seen) that people are getting this to work by using a vfw-wdm wrapper. Micro$oft has said they'll release one but nothing as of yet. I managed to find one but no workie.

Has anyone played with these wrappers or know of 1 that might work? I'm using a Sony Digital8 cam with a Pyro DV Basic card.

-funsoul
        mmedia pc: 2x2.4/533 xeons@3.337ghz, asus pc-dl, 2g pc3500 ddram, 27g primary, 2x120 WD's, promise fastrack100, matrox g400-tv, hercules soundcard Server box: p4 1.4GHz, asus p4t, 1g ecc rdram, 27.3g primary, 3x80g maxtors, promise fastrack66, radeon ve, soundblaster Beat box: p3 500, asus p3bf6, 1024meg pc100, 45g primary, 3x45g maxtors, soundblaster, radeon ve, dazzle vcII

Comment

Doc I found that true on my Canon Hi8 but if you remove the tape it goes on and on and... somebody shoot dat wabbit!!!
          "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Hi

Actually I am using a Sony Hi8 cam, and CUSeeME is able to detect it. The reason that I made this post is that there is a company called orangemicro.com which produces the IBOT which is a firewire based webcam. Presumably this works with most webcam software, which is why I assumed it would be easy to use my videocam. There are other such similiar devices out there, so there must be a way.

-V-
            ASUS P2B-DS REV 1.06 D03 w/ DUAL 1.4GHZ Tualatins; Matrox Parhelia; M-Audio Delta 410

Apple Powerbook G4 - 1.33GHZ

Comment

Aryko,
              According to the Media Encoder docs it only supports firewire cards from Canopus, which are expensive. What card are you using? Is it a Canopus?

Rob

Comment

According to the Media Encoder docs it only supports firewire cards from Canopus, which are expensive. What card are you using? Is it a Canopus?
                My system setup is an HP Omnibook 500 laptop with a firewire PCMCIA pc card. The exact vendor was firewiredirect.com, I couldn't tell you who they sublicenced the tech from (ie I doubt they manufacture the cards themselves).

- A

Comment

Originally posted by rleist

Rob
                  If you are using the Canopus Raptor then their analogue capture s/w works fine for web-cam usage. I have used it with Net-Meeting on a couple of occasions.
                  Phil
                  AMD XP 1600+ ,MSI K7TPro2-RU, 512Mb, 20Gb System, 40Gb RAID0 , HP 9110 CD-RW, Pioneer DVD/CD, Windows 2000 Pro SP2, ATI RADEON 7000, Agere OHCI 1394, DX8.1, MSP 6.5, Midiman USB AudioSport Quattro (4 channel 24bit/96Khz sound unit)

Comment

Working...
                  X