Did I miss something? DV print to tape from Ulead MSP 6

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did I miss something? DV print to tape from Ulead MSP 6

I have captured a video sequence in both DV format and MJPEG for comparison using Ulead MSP Version 6.0. I can play the MJPEG clip and get an output from the Matrox G200 output on the BOB. But when I play the DV format clip no output is present on the BOB.

My intention was to capture all my home video using DV format, edit and play back into a regular SVHS VCR.

What am I doing wrong here?

Jack

In order to display on the BOB, the video has to be in MJPEG format; Matrox hardware doesn't recognize DV.

MSP can convert DV to MJPEG for you, but rest assured it will take awhile, and you won't have a DV-quality clip when you're done.

Comment

Fluggo is correct, but its not quite that simple since depending how you got your DV AVI file it is probably the wrong "type" for Premiere or Ulead MS5.2

For your test, play the MJPEG and record the BOB's output. Then put your DV camcorder back on the firewire port and "preview" the "save to tape" back out the firewire port, recording the analog out from your camcorder on the same VCR.

For me both the Marvel "best quality" analog captures from my D8 camcorder and DV capture were so much better than VHS that I'd hate to have to pick which tape was which. I'm moving my workflow to DV simply because I've had a devil of a time with color shifts on Marvel captures and output back to tape, if your analog in, analog out with the Marvel has spot on colors, choose whatever is most convienent for you. Since you are recording SVHS you need to test this for yourself as the DV vs MJPEG difference might be noticible on SVHS.

Consensus on rec.video.desktop appears to be that making an edited master on DV and playing it back to thru firewire to the camcorder analog out for VHS "finals" is better than editing to SVHS and dubbing VHS from this SVHS master. Hence the intrest in things like the Sony DVMC (??) "firewire to analog converter" box to "save wear and tear" on the camcorder.

--wally.

Comment

Thanks for the comments. I used the Sony DVMC to convert my analog HI8 video to DV format and captured via firewire to Ulead MSP 6.0.

I just received a Sony TRV510 Digital8 camera and will try dumping the HI8 tapes to DV format and outputting back thru the firewire to the TRV510 and out the analog jack to the SVHS VCR. I hope that will work on the Sony! I would hate to have to record and then playback out through the analog jack.

Trying to remember why I started doing this DV experiment in the first place! I have about 20 hours of HI8 family video to edit and figured that would be the best way to get the best results to SVHS tape, I think.

Jack

Comment

Hmmm,

I must be missing something now. If you have a DVMC why would you need to use the camcorder to go from firewire back to analog for recording on VHS or SVHS tape? Or does the DVMC only do input?

It would be useful to have your opinion of Hi8 tape played back on D8 and captured via firewire vs. Hi8 analog playback captured via firewire thru DVMC.

--wally.

Comment

If you have a G400 dual head, you can use the DVD max feature to play your DV footage to TV-out.

Just open the DV avi in something like standard Win98 SE Media Player...

M.
            year2000:Athlon500/MSI6167/256M/10GIBM/6GSamsung/18GSCSI IBM/CL2xDVD/RR-G/HPPSPrinter/G400DH32M/DeltaDC995/MX300/ADSPyro1394/AHA2940UW/3comXL100

Comment

wkulecz

The DVMC was on loan from work while I experimented. Now that I have the D8 the DVMC is out of the loop.

I captured a 60 second Hi8 clip from D8 to firewire to Ulead. I then dumped that clip back through the firewire to the D8 then out the SVideo jack to the SVHS VCR.

Next I dumped the same 60 second Hi8 clip from the D8 SVideo to the SVHS VCR.

When I compared the two recordings played back from the SVHS tape to a 60 inch
              projection screen I could tell no difference!

Thanks Meek, but doubt I will be upgrading the G200. Matrox may be leaving my life (DVD hardware module; Windows2000 drivers).

Jack

[This message has been edited by Jack Hearn (edited 06 April 2000).]

Comment

Working...
              X