Scanner Recommadations?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scanner Recommadations?

Can Anyone suggest a nice USB scanner for less then $150?

Scott
    Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

got the UMAX 4000U, ugly, big - but great images

mfg
    wulfman
    "Perhaps they communicate by changing colour? Like those sea creatures .."
    "Lobsters?"
    "Really? I didn't know they did that."
    "Oh yes, red means help!"

Comment

EPSON 1640 SU is very good, I reckon.

Comment

Visioneer 8920 usb

Very reliable, around $140-150, good software bundle

See it HERE

"1200 x 4800 dpi Optical Resolution eliminates jagged edges and captures the finest detail from your original. That's enough resolution to turn a 4" x 6" photo into a 16" x 24" image with no loss of detail.

48-bit scanners capture 64 times more color than their 42-bit predecessors for a total of over 280 trillion colors. It's like drawing with a whole box of pencils rather than just one. With 48-bit scanning, you get brighter yellows, richer reds, cooler blues and everything in between. "

jim
        System 1:
        AMD 1.4 AYJHA-Y factory unlocked @ 1656 with Thermalright SK6 and 7k Delta fan
        Epox 8K7A
        2x256mb Micron pc-2100 DDR
        an AGP port all warmed up and ready to be stuffed full of Parhelia II+
        SBLIVE 5.1
        Maxtor 40g 7,200 @ ATA-100
        IBM 40GB 7,200 @ ATA-100
        Pinnacle DV Plus firewire
        3Com Hardware Modem
        Teac 20/10/40 burner
        Antec 350w power supply in a Colorcase 303usb Stainless

New system: Under development

Comment

Try www.canon.com

Huge range, great quality and you will find models under $200.

I Can, You Can, Canon

Comment

Entry Level scanner they only get better.

Comment

I would recommend the Epson Perfection 1250 Photo ($150). I just got it 2 weeks ago. As soon as the first pic was scanned, I immediately packed my old Plustek scanner for sale.
              Amazing photo scanning quality and huge bundle of saftware packages.
              SuRGV
              MSI K8N Neo 2 Platinum
              AMD Athlon 64 3200
              1024 MB PC3200 RAM
              WD 160 GB HDD
              2 x 80 GB Maxtor HDDs in RAID 1
              ATI 9500 64 Videocard
              Pioneer 108 DVD-RW
              Pioneer 117 DVD-ROM
              Windows XP Professional SP2

Comment

Few weeks ago i bought a CannoScan 670U no complaints there sleek and sexy great image quality and whats the best you dont need a power supply for the scanner it takes power from the USB port, and if you have a laptop this would be very conviniant to carry it around. It has a Z-lid for scanning books or bulky objects, olso a stand where you can put sacanner verticaly.
                Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe (nForce2)>>AMD 2500+@ 3200+ (Barton)>>1.5 GB Ram (PC400)>>Leadtek GF 6800 12x6(385/850)>>Western Digital 120GB (WD1200JB) & Fujitsu 20Gb(MPF3204AT)>>Cambridge Audio azur 540A>>Razer Viper(Mouse)>>V7 V7S20PD 20.1 TFT Monitor>>NEC 3510A>>Lite-ON (40x10)>>Cherry CyMotion>>CanoScan N670U>>Epson Stylus Color 760>>Windows XP (SP2)

Comment

How do these USB scanners compare with say a SCSI scanner when scanning in photographs? Do any of the USB scanners handle slides and transparencies?
                  <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

My Epson Perfection Photo has an apapter to scan slides (not sure with transparencies since I've never tried). Pretty good scanning quality for negatives.
                    SuRGV
                    MSI K8N Neo 2 Platinum
                    AMD Athlon 64 3200
                    1024 MB PC3200 RAM
                    WD 160 GB HDD
                    ATI 9500 64 Videocard
                    Pioneer 108 DVD-RW
                    Pioneer 117 DVD-ROM

Comment

Everyone says thier scanner's photo quality is good. How about posting your own sample that you think the best here?
                      So far I've experienced only 2: Plustek 1212u (600x1200) Epsion Perfection Photo 1250 (1200x2400). I don't know how other companies' scanners can do.
                      SuRGV.
                      MSI K8N Neo 2 Platinum
                      AMD Athlon 64 3200
                      1024 MB PC3200 RAM
                      WD 160 GB HDD
                      ATI 9500 64 Videocard
                      Pioneer 108 DVD-RW
                      Pioneer 117 DVD-ROM

Comment

xortam,

The Canon D660U and the D2400UF both have film adapters unit built into the scanner lid.
                        Out of the box they can scan 4x5" format film.

D2400UF also Incorporates FARE (Film Automatic Retouch and Enhancement) dust and scratch removal hardware

D2400UF:
                        Optical 2400 x 4800 dp
                        Interpolated 9600 dpi
                        48 bit

Booker

Comment

Thanks SuRGV and Booker for the photo scanner feedback. I don't really need 4x5 since I only have a handfull of those negs but its a nice extra.

How about the interface? Will a SCSI scanner speed up any transfers over a USB version?
                          <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

xortam,

I failed to mention that the D2400UF can also scan 35mm & 120 format through the film adaptor.

IMO:
                            There is not that much difference between standard SCSI and the USB scanner of today in everyday scanning.

Highspeed SCSI is faster and can have better quality due to less noise than USB.

Hope this all helps
                            Booker

Comment

Hi Xortam,

in my experience, SCSI scanners are a lot faster than USB ones (talking about ~5MB/sec vs. ~1MB/sec), thus it depends on your task, which connection to use.

Also, I experienced a lot of problems with the rest of my SCSI devices, until I dedicated an own controller for the scanner here at work.
                              When the scanner was using the same controller as my other peripherals (ZIP, JAZ, Syquest 5.25" & 3.5", CDROM, HDs), I saw a lot of mysterious BSODs and lockups, running either NT4 SP6 or W98.

Conclusion:
                              If you're regulary doing high res scans and can afford the extra price tag for another controller, plus the usually more expensive SCSI version of the scanner itself, go for SCSI.
                              In all other cases, I recommend USB for easy use and access.
                              Despite my nickname causing confusion, I am not female ...

ASRock Fatal1ty X79 Professional
                              Intel Core i7-3930K@4.3GHz
                              be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2
                              4x 8GB G.Skill TridentX PC3-19200U@CR1
                              2x MSI N670GTX PE OC (SLI)
                              OCZ Vertex 4 256GB
                              4x2TB Seagate Barracuda Green 5900.3 (2x4TB RAID0)
                              Super Flower Golden Green Modular 800W
                              Nanoxia Deep Silence 1
                              LG BH10LS38
                              LG DM2752D 27" 3D

Comment

Working...
                              X