Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Argh! I killed my mobo, Lets buy another!!!! :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Argh! I killed my mobo, Lets buy another!!!! :)

I knackered my BIOS whilst attempting to flash it with Asus's latest offering. While I wait for the replacement chip, now seems like as good a time as any to UPGRADE!!!!!

Come on guys, Should it be Intel or AMD??? RIMM or DDR???

I am looking to buy today, not in six months time.

Did anyone say 2GHz??????

What should it be???
    The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Argh! I killed my mobo

Paddy what's up with you man?
    first the fish, now the m/board!
    the best bang for the money is still an AMD cpu based system so till you decide in which direction you want to move, Intel or AMD it will be difficult to advise.
    btw don't be fooled by the 2GHz p4 as a lower rated XP1800 would whip it!

Comment

The money that I was about to spend on a PDA (£500) will go towards this.
      I am prepard to spend the whole £500

I will need a mobo, RAM and a CPU.

I was thinking of a 1.8GHz P4 on a Abit TH7-II-RAID mobo....
      I thought that Intel were always *better* than AMD...just not if you looked at the price...

Ayoub, I know mate.... I had to check my mobile in yesterday for repair too.... Everything is going bad...

Some people comfort eat... I comfort spend...

please help me...e
      The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

I want to feel happy again...

Comment

Paddy

Surely we can solve this problem and leave enough for a pda?
          Athlon TB1.4 ~£100 (or an XP wehn the prices drop in 1 week)
          ECS K7S5A ~£60
          256Mb PC2100 ~£30

And a rather nice pda for £300

...or spend £100 more for RAID and spend £200 on a pda.

Just my £500 worth

I'm kinda jealous - the wifes car blew the head gasket which cost about the same as a new CPU to get fixed

Tony.
          FT.

Comment

I have deceided no to go for the PDA now that this has happened... I'll have more cash in January.. I can get it then.

After doing some research I think that Ayoub is right. The XP 1800 does look quite nice... and it is a hell of a lot cheaper than the P4... I am looking to buy pretty soon... is there going to be a significant price cut in the next week or so?

I will probably split the contents of my old computer into two new ones... The question is should i stick with my old SCSI or go for a new IDE array?

I need help with the following:
            • What AMD mobo should I get? I was thinking of the ASUS A7V266???
            • Should I:
              Have a SCSI server with my Plextor 1012S CDRW and then buy some IDE disks for my new rig? or
              Get a new SCSI DVD-ROM for my new rig and use the old IDE disk in my file server?

Any ideas?

Comment

system specs:

Comment

check out...

FT.

Comment

You should by an ASUS A7V266 Motherboard, and an Athlon XP Processor, Stay away form Pentium IV, The Athlon XP 1800+ is cheaper.

Another motherboard is ASUS A7V266-E/RAID, It's comming out in a week, and has VIA KT266A chipset, and onboard IDE RAID controller! This mobo has already showed up at norwegian hardware vendors

Comment

OK... I need to pick something up soonish (like now) I can't really be without a PC for more than a few days... DTs and all that.

I have looked up some prices on the net:
                    AMD 1800 (1.53) £225!!!
                    AMD A7V 266 £132
                    512MB DDR £60

If i deceide to go SCSI then the IDE RAID would be pointless...

Them XPs don't look cheap...

Is the A7V266 better than the Epox 8K7a?

Comment

AMD Athlon XP 1500 (1.33GHz) Palomino Core £115.33

AMD Athlon XP 1600 (1.40 GHz) Palomino Core £143.51

AMD Athlon XP 1700 (1.47 GHz) Palomino Core £169.40

AMD Athlon XP 1800 (1.53GHz) Palomino Core £225.81

£56 for 6MHz!!!!!!!!!

Comment

cheaper here...

Oh and BTW, thats 60MHz - I remember a time when that would be a bargain
                        FT.

Comment

I think i shall buy the Asus A7V266 mobo now with some DDR while its cheap... I will use my old 100FSB 1GHz T'bird untill the XP prices drop...

The old T'b will work won't it???
                          Are there different A7V266 models out there? If so which one is the best?

With the cash that I save, I will probably get some 60GXPs or the like...

Tony, Doh! well its still a lot of cash for 60MHz....

Comment

Paddy

Have you looked at the Elite board I mentioned? I haven't heard a bad thing about it. It uses the SiS chipset, is fast and stable, and takes SDR or DDR, has audio if you need it and has a NIC built in!

If you don't want RAID, then why spend the extra on the ASUS, with all thats been said on these fora about VIA chipsets?

Cheers

Tony.
                            FT.

Comment

After much discussion!

I am after a mobo for an AMD XP CPU (which i will get at a later date). It will need to support DDR. Onboard IDE RAID would be nice.

I am/was happy with my A7V so I assume the migration to a A7V266 should be pretty painless... I never had any problems with the VIA chipset....

I know that Jammrock for one is enthusiastic about the 751 chipset...

Are there anyother mobos out there worth considering?

I'll look out for this Elite board...

Comment

Working...
                              X