Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why my G400 MAX is listed as simple G400 ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why my G400 MAX is listed as simple G400 ???

It's only a little thing, not a real problem, but my card isn't recognized as G400 MAX.

I never flashed the BIOS (Never fix a thing that works ) to a newer version, the product code is: G4+MMDHA32GR (YES is the NO TRUE AGP4X Version )

I noticed that the card ID from powerstrip is 2179102Bh (rev. 4) and into .INF files this code is associated to a normal G400 (the G400Max code is 217D102Bh)

Any suggestion??

Another Thing: I Noticed the G400MAX fan have a 3-way cable connected to the PCB. Can be in any manner used for read fan's RPM ??

Thanks.
    <b><i><font size="+1">Zanna.</font></i></b>
    <p><b><font size="-2"><hr>Current Config: Asus P4C800 Deluxe / Intel Pentium 4c 3.2 Ghz - 800 Mhz Bus / Dual 512Mb DDR 400 Ram (1Gb) / Matrox Millennium G400Max /&nbsp;&nbsp;Sound Blaster Audigy 2 /&nbsp; Western Digital WD2500JB: 250 Gb-7.2Krpm-8MBcache! / Superfloppy LS120 /&nbsp;Yamaha CRW-F1e /&nbsp;LG&nbsp;52x CDROM /&nbsp;Dual Boot 98se / W2k</font></b></p>

download and run mgatweak to check the actual clockspeed.
    If it is at MAX settings, you don't have anything to worry (in that case only the 'max' in the drivername is the difference).

Comment

MGATWEAK reports only 100% speed settings.
      Percentage in place of Mhz.

I downloaded last version. I think.

Powerstrip report 150 Mhz for the Engine Clock and 200 Mhz for the Memory clock.

This IS a MAX.

Only this thing is annoying.

Thanks.
      <p><b><font size="-2"><hr>Current Config: Asus P4C800 Deluxe / Intel Pentium 4c 3.2 Ghz - 800 Mhz Bus / Dual 512Mb DDR 400 Ram (1Gb) / Matrox Millennium G400Max /&nbsp;&nbsp;Sound Blaster Audigy 2 /&nbsp; Western Digital WD2500JB: 250 Gb-7.2Krpm-8MBcache! / Superfloppy LS120 /&nbsp;Yamaha CRW-F1e /&nbsp;LG&nbsp;52x CDROM /&nbsp;Dual Boot 98se / W2k</font></b></p>

Comment

MGATweak reports the absolute clockspeed, not a relative one. I think you're confused with MTSTU, which has an overclocking bar which is in percentage.

If your max runs at 150/200, then there's no difference in functionality wether the driver reports 'MAX' or not.

In fact, if you feel that it does make a difference, you could change the driver inf file to report your g400 as a 'Matrox ugli-dugli duaaaaallllheeeeaaaaaad Gfooorhundret... MAAX', and still offer the same functionality as before.

Comment

Ok, ok, I confused MTSTU with MGAtweak.

Sorry

Now I'm going to rename my G400 MAX in:

Matrox Millennium G400 Zanna MAX

Anyone can tell me any alternative?

Comment

Your card has a wrong SUBSYS_ID value stored in the BIOS!
            The right subsys for G400MAX is 217d while for normal G400 it s 2179!

If you want the card is find as G400MAX you must edit and flash your card "PINS"!

Follow that (DO IT AT YOUR OWN RISK)!
            1- Download the lastest unified BIOS pack from Matrox's support section (setup251.exe).
            2- Unzip it in the default directory
            3- Reboot and typing F8 go to the DOS PURE MODE (If you don t have win9x or if you have Win ME/Win 2k/Win XP use an old boot disk)
            4- now go in C:\mgafold\sysutil251 and type PROGBIOS -d>PINS.TXT
            5- Edit PINS.txt with a txt editor as Notepad or edit.exe and change SUBSYS_ID from 2179 to 217d
            6- Finally type PROGBIOS -i auto -s PINS.TXT -k still in PURE DOS MODE

BEFORE CHEATING WITH YOUR VIDEO BOARD BIOS DISABLE ALL CACHING OPTION IN YOUR SYSTEM BIOS

This procedure should fix your problem!
            DO IT AT YOUR OWN RISK
            Last edited by Venturer; 18 October 2001, 10:30.
            ATHLON XP 2600; Abit KX7-333Raid; 1GB SDRAM DDR PC-3200 Corsair XMS; Matrox Parhelia AGP 256; HITACHI 7K250 250GB; HITACHI 120GXP 120GB; HITACHI 120GXP 60GB; Sound Blaster Audigy 2; Plextor DVDRW PX-716A; Plextor CDRW Premium

Comment

Ah, ma sei italiano!
              Se hai problemi scrivimi a venturer@tiscalinet.it !
              ATHLON XP 2600; Abit KX7-333Raid; 1GB SDRAM DDR PC-3200 Corsair XMS; Matrox Parhelia AGP 256; HITACHI 7K250 250GB; HITACHI 120GXP 120GB; HITACHI 120GXP 60GB; Sound Blaster Audigy 2; Plextor DVDRW PX-716A; Plextor CDRW Premium

Comment

TdB

i think you should rename it to:
                "matrox millennium dual g800 MAX"
                just for bragging rights
                This sig is a shameless atempt to make my post look bigger.

Comment

Why not just buy a G550 then?
                  "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

1) Ciao Venturer!! Sto pensandoci ad aggiornare il BIOS, ma anche ripensandoci!! Grazie comunque per le dettagliatissime informazioni (Hello Venturer, I'm thinking to update the BIOS, and thinking to do it again!! Thanks for the very detailed informations!! )

2) TDB: It's a good idea to take rights for the G800 name, only in this case I must register this brand new card name into a registering autority!

3) Greebe: I think the Millenium G400 MAX is better than a Millenium G550, I like Talking Heads only in Vinyle recordings...

Best regards...

Comment

Because a G550 is what was once known as the G800

And no, there won't be a Max version of it.
                      "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                      X