CloneCD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CloneCD

I thought I'd give my somewhat new Plextor PX-W1210S a test on backing up a game CD. I'm using CloneCD 3 (v3.0.9.1). I'm getting "Failed to read sector XXXX" errors while reading to file. Is this something to expect from presumably a copy protected CD? Do I ignore this and attempt to burn a copy from this image? I was under the impression that my burner and CloneCD could handle most copy protections.
    <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Check www.cdrinfo.com for info on your drive and clonecd. Maybe you need to use a certain firmware or something.
    [size=1]D3/\/7YCR4CK3R
    Ryzen: Asrock B450M Pro4, Ryzen 5 2600, 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V Series DDR4 PC4-25600 RAM, 1TB Seagate SATA HD, 256GB myDigital PCIEx4 M.2 SSD, Samsung LI24T350FHNXZA 24" HDMI LED monitor, Klipsch Promedia 4.2 400, Win11
    Home: M1 Mac Mini 8GB 256GB
    Surgery: HP Stream 200-010 Mini Desktop,Intel Celeron 2957U Processor, 6 GB RAM, ADATA 128 GB SSD, Win 10 home ver 22H2
    Frontdesk: Beelink T4 8GB

Comment

The CloneCD site states that it will work with any FW. I'll look around CDR-Info for any info.
      <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

CDR-Info shows preferred settings for various copy protection schemes. I'm currently using:
        SubChannel Data from Data Track : Yes
        SubChannel Data from Audio Track : Yes
        Fast Skip Error : No
        Intelligent Bad Sector Scanner : No
        Don't repair SubChannel : No
        Don't report read errors: No

How do I detect what copy protection scheme is being used? I'll keep reading CDR-Info ...

Comment

have a look here as well for good tips for copying protected cds!

Comment

Thanks ... I'll check it out in a bit. I read some more on CDR-Info and downloaded a utility called Clony which detects the scheme and recommends CloneCD settings. It directed me to only set "Fast Error Skip" so I guess my original assumption was correct. I'll give it a go now ...

Comment

Phew ... that was quick. Only took three minutes to read. Time to try a burn ...

Comment

Took about six minutes to burn but the game hung on the initial banner. Couldn't kill it through task manager under W2KAS because it complained that it was debugging. Guess I've got some more reading to do ...

Comment

Never mind. I tried launching the game again but this time I left the CD in the Plextor burner. The game seems to run fine. The previous failed attempt was when launching the game from my Pioneer DVD reader. I guess I'll just have to shuffle the game's many CDs through the Plextor rather than utilizing my multiple CD readers.

Comment

Good lord, have you never heard of CD protections?

Ok, instead of just being sarcastic I'll help.

There are several ways to protect a CD.

One of them (the one you're getting) is to make a bad cd - with errors in it. Of course the errors can't be read! Now the problem is that most burners, if presented with a CD Image that has errors in it, will write 0's. This is bad, because the game checks for the errors - and if it gets 0's instead of "can't read"'s, it won't play. The most popular form of this protection is known as SafeDisc.

Now, there are OTHER protections to add to SafeDisc. One of them is to put certain regular patterns on the CD which overload the pattern buffer of your burner. If you put a lot of nonsense immediately followed by a 010101010101010101 pattern, you will blow out what is known as the EMF buffer on all but a couple burners (Plextor's 8x20, and 24x are two of the only burners not affected by this!). The most common form of THIS protection is called SafeDisc 2.

Now there are OTHER ways - including subchannel data, which many burners can't read, is one way. Purposely mangling the TOC is another way. But SafeDisc2 is pretty darn effective, since only a couple burners can beat it.

Why can your game play in your burner, but not another drive? Because you have a Plextor. Plextors are GREAT, and even though the pattern buffer gets overloaded, if you read the disc in the Plextor it figures out what it was TRYING to write and the game can play.

Hope this helped. MUCH more information is available at CloneClinic.

(BEWARE OF POPUPS!)

- Gurm
                    The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
                    If only life were as easy as you
                    I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
                    I would still get screwed

Comment

My favorite way to copy CD's is to use a really high resolution scanner. Then you've got a perfect duplicate bit for bit.

Comment

Hahah ... good one...

I personally just trace it and cut it out with rounded snips...
                        AMD Phenom 9650, 8GB, 4x1TB, 2x22 DVD-RW, 2x9600GT, 23.6' ASUS, Vista Ultimate
                        AMD X2 7750, 4GB, 1x1TB 2x500, 1x22 DVD-RW, 1x8500GT, 22" Acer, OS X 10.5.8
                        Acer 6930G, T6400, 4GB, 500GB, 16", Vista Premium
                        Lenovo Ideapad S10e, 2GB, 500GB, 10", OS X 10.5.8

Comment

Originally posted by Gurm
                          Good lord, have you never heard of CD protections? ...
                          Of course I've heard of CD protections; I mentioned that in my very first post. I just have never tried to copy protected CDs nor have I investigated the various schemes ... until now. I'll need to do more reading, including your reference. BTW, I've already had all these references bookmarked but I never spent the time investigating the topic much other than to assure that my new burner would be able to circumvent most schemes. I knew that CloneCD was a favorite utility among the MURCers so I chose to start with that. Clony detected that the game was protected with SafeDisc V2. GameCopyWorld listed this game as protected by "SafeDisc v2 & CD Checks." Thanks for the overview and explanation of why the readers handled the clone differently. I hope I can determine how to make a general use copy after doing some more investigation.

Comment

Bah, CD copying amateurs. Scanners don't work!

The only real answer is Silly Putty. You get all the pits that way. And if you're really careful, you can stretch your CD copy into a LaserDisc. I watch all my DivX movies that way now
                            Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

You won't be able to, with a couple exceptions, make a general purpose copy.

If you only want to play it on Win9x, you can use one of the SD2 unrollers (Reptile or some crap like that, as well as Unsafedisc2, etc. etc.). Or you can get a different burner. Sorry, man.

- Gurm
                              The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
                              I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
                              I would still get screwed

Comment

Working...
                              X