Chipset cooler on Asus A7V133

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chipset cooler on Asus A7V133

Man I haven´t posted here since forever... but hope you guys can help me out with a little hardware problem......

I have an Asus A7V133 mobo..... and the problem is, that the chipset cooler (not the CPU cooler) makes more noise than my moms washing machine and it´s driving me insane!!

it helps a bit if I put the tower down on it´s side, but that kinda incapacitates my cd-rom drive

Any ideas how I can quiet it down a bit? I was thinking about just "unplugging" it.... can I do that without things running too hot??
    If a kid asks where rain comes from, I think a cute thing to tell him is "God is crying." And if he asks why God is crying, another cute thing to tell him is "Probably because of something you did."

Well that sounds faulty to me. Replace it. If you want to try without it, make sure you test the temperature of the heatsink and that it doesn't go above rated temperature - I'd guess 50 degrees is ok. Remove the fan rather than just unplugging it, and make sure you have good ventilation in the area.

HTH

Tony.
    FT.

Comment

You can also add a tiny bit of oil to the fan, might reduce the noise, make sure you use a decent oil.

But if your really not sure then don't go by what I say, it's just a suggestion. Also, thermaltake sells mobo heatsinks and fans, that might be a better solution.
      Titanium is the new bling!
      (you heard from me first!)

Comment

In this case I'd suggest you replace it and ensure the new one has HS compound applied (most MB manufactures don't do this)
        "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Welcome to the club. I´m about to replace it because it´s failing. It start making that awfull noise when I turn on the pc, but it´s like for 5 ou 6 seconds so it´s bearable fo now. But I know where it all ends: I´ve got a PSU fan failing and it was about the same story...

IMO, Asus is not what it used to be. Even a stupid tiny fan on the northbridge, why could´t they drop a ball bearing/better quality fan/heatsink/thermal paste (I don´t think it has any) for $1 more? Sure, if they make 100 000 motherboards you same $100 000. Lame.

I´ll remember this small details when I´ll buy a new motherboard.

Comment

We have had the same thing happen to our one demo TB 1400... we just unplugged it and stuck a high flow case fan on the back at the same level as the HS and it works fine... Don't know about OC though.. it might make it too hot.
            AMD Phenom 9650, 8GB, 4x1TB, 2x22 DVD-RW, 2x9600GT, 23.6' ASUS, Vista Ultimate
            AMD X2 7750, 4GB, 1x1TB 2x500, 1x22 DVD-RW, 1x8500GT, 22" Acer, OS X 10.5.8
            Acer 6930G, T6400, 4GB, 500GB, 16", Vista Premium
            Lenovo Ideapad S10e, 2GB, 500GB, 10", OS X 10.5.8

Comment

That fan is just worthless, I switched to a better fan a looong time ago.

Comment

Working...
              X