Marvel G400-tv problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marvel G400-tv problems

What should I do? My clips are full of green flashes and stuttering.

This is my computer:

Intel PIII 600 FCPGA 256k 100MHz
    Asus BX motherboard ATX
    128meg SDRAM 100MHz
    20gb IDE harddrive [7200rpm] [3gb for Windows and programs and 17gb for video]
    Matrox Marvel G400-tv
    Win98

I was told that this is good setup for videoediting...but it doesn't look like it.

Any advices? I installed the latest drivers and it didn't help. I'm capturing with PC-VCR. What the heck should I do?!

[sorry for my english, I'm from Finland ;D ]

Don't worry, you're in good company. The Finns have their own corner of this web !

Green flashes, bad news. This isn't a one-off. News from Canada is to get it RMA'd cos it's possibly a hardware fault. BUT before you do that, please contact Support in Canada to make sure - I'm not convinced that RMA in Europe is as trouble-free as in North America.

Alternatively, according to some posts here, you could try underclocking the card using one of the utilities available from MURC (http://www.murc.ws)

Comment

Jakub,

Do you see the green flashes on you monitor, as well as your TV ?

Stuttering - go to Device Manager -> Disk Drives -> Generic IDE Disk TypeXX -> Properties -> Settings.
      You should see a "DMA" checkbox, right under the "Int 13 unit" checkbox.
      Make sure the "DMA" box is checked for your HD.

I would recommend getting a small HD for your OS and programs, and dedicating the 20GB one just for Video.

In order to perform properly for video editing, Windows needs some tweaking.
      Check the main site at: http://desktopvideoworld.com/

You could check this as well: http://forums.murc.ws/ubb/Forum2/HTML/002847.html

Pertti

Comment

I had the DMA on. I tried to turn it off, and I got 5 dropped frames [1,5 min clip] but except that, the quality was lot better!? No stuttering and no green flashes. Then I tried my other harddisk [4gb ooooold harddisk [3,38mb/s]] and there was no problems.

I formatted my whole system last night and made the whole 20gb drive a single videodrive..it didn't make any difference

I'll try those programs, I hope that helps.

Comment

Hi!

Try to take your IBM out of the udma-66 -port and put it into a regular slot.

I am emailing from Finland as well and I have the same G400TV myself: what a disappointing piece of hardware. I am trying to exchange the one I bought to some other model, if everything goes well. This model was not tested to work in Finland for sure

Well, I am mostly disappointed in capturing TV1 here: often subtitles pixellate on that channel. BTW, please try to capture it and let me know did the same thing happen to you.

I've heard that the problem is in the driver and they even asked me to send a sample-clip to Matrox. Well, I haven't had any replies from them after I sent the clips.

Anyway, G400TV is a good sample of what a product can be if it's not tested properly.

Yours,

Jouni Manty

Comment

Like I said, when I use my older HD, there is no problems. I have tried everything to fix the problem on the other HD: DMA on/off, defragment, scandisk [no errors], format...nothing works. How can I increase the data rate? [Transfer rate of my video HD 12,29mb/s, PC-VCR capture 3,39mb/s...and my other HD 5,41mb/s]...

3D acceleration works well...but I didn't bought this card for gaming purposes...I bought it for videoediting and I can't do videoediting with it

I quess I'll change the video HD...maybe it's broken or something...If that doesn't work, I'll change the videocard

Comment

Different OS? I'm now formatting my computer again and I'll isntall Win95. Adobe InDesign doesn't work under 95...so what OS do you recommend? Win2000?

Comment

I think I have made things work! From Control Panel>System>HD Controllers I made only the secondary HD IDE enabled [something like that]. Because of that, the transfer rate of my video HD increased to nearly 60mb/s!! When I was capturing the picture in PC-VCRs preview window was skipping, but when I had captured the clip [2min 0 dropped frames] it was perfect! No green flashes, no skipping or anything like that...whee! I'll try to reinstall the videotools and I hope that makes the preview picture perfect too.

I think I'll format the whole system [3rd time today ] and move back to W98...It wasn't the OS...

I hope I can now focus on editing instead of struggling with all the problems with the computer...I just got to hope that things are working perfect now...

Comment

I think you should have a look in the forum. Something has been written about green flashes. Just search for the words 'green stripes' and you will see..

Comment

Hi. I do not have a Marvel, I have a regular G400 + RR-G.

Some obvious things first. Does your Marvel have an IRQ? I suppose it has, but just in case, you may want to share your IRQ list from windows98 with us. You can get it from "My Computer", right click, select properties, select device manager, select properties again.

Also, I would try disabling write behind cache for all disk drives. To do this, go to Control Panel/System/Performance/Troubleshooting and tick the appropriate box.

Other, more exotic ideas: your other hard disks may be spinning down and up during capture (because of power saving settings), prevent this by selecting the appropriate settings in your BIOS Setup.

Also, make sure you do not have your "temp" directory or the swap file on your capture disk...

M. (Also from Finland, btw...)
                    year2000:Athlon500/MSI6167/256M/10GIBM/6GSamsung/18GSCSI IBM/CL2xDVD/RR-G/HPPSPrinter/G400DH32M/DeltaDC995/MX300/ADSPyro1394/AHA2940UW/3comXL100

Comment

00 System timer
                      01 Keyboard
                      02 Programmable interrupt controller
                      03 Communications Port (COM2)
                      04 Communications Port (COM1)
                      05 Creative SB Live! Value
                      05 IRQ Holder for PCI Steering
                      06 Standard Floppy Disk Controller
                      07 Printer Port (LPT1)
                      08 System CMOS/real time clock
                      09 Intel 82371AB/EB PCI to USB Universal Host Conroller
                      09 IRQ Holder for PCI Steering
                      10 Adaptec AIC-7850 PCI SCSI Controller
                      10 IRQ Holder for PCI Steering
                      11 Matrox Marvel G400 AGP - English
                      11 IRQ Holder for PCI Steering
                      12 WheelMouse1 (PS/2)
                      13 Numeric data processor
                      14 Intel 82371AB/EB PCI Bus Master IDE Controller
                      14 Primary IDE controller (dual fifo)
                      15 Intel 82371AB/EB PCI Bus Master IDE Controller
                      15 Secondary IDE controller (dual fifo)

Comment

Jakub,

Which version of Asus BX motherboard is it ?
                        Bios version (10XX) ?

Did I get this right:
                        - the problem exists only in W98, when capturing to the 20GB HD ?

What make and model is the 20GB ?

Are you using Finnish or English Windows ?

Where are your CD:s connected ?

Pertti

Comment

Which version of Asus BX motherboard is it ?

--Asus P3B-F AGPSET Version Rev 1.01 [I don't know if that is BX motherboard, but the receipt says so]

Bios version (10XX) ?

--Asus P3B-F ACPI BIOS Revision 1004
                          Release date 19/10/1999

Did I get this right:
                          - the problem exists only in W98, when capturing to the 20GB HD ?

--Both 95 and 98 has the problem and only on the 20gb drive

What make and model is the 20GB ?

--IBM Deskstar Model DPTA-372050 ATA/IDE rpm 7200

Are you using Finnish or English Windows ?

--Win98 UK

Where are your CD:s connected ?

--Secondary IDE

Comment

HD Model is IBM Deskstar 34GXP.

Comment

Jakub,

Have you checked this place ?: http://www.storage.ibm.com/techsup/hddtech/welcome.htm

Scroll down, and you will find "ibmata66.zip" http://service.boulder.ibm.com/stora...h/ibmata66.zip

It is worth a try, let us know if it works.

Pertti

Comment

Working...
                              X