SCART RGB Input and Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SCART RGB Input and Questions

Ok, first question, Is SCART like a 3 in 1 cable? A single SCART cable can push composite and s-video and rgb using 1 cable? but not component video right? Another question, which is the most superior to all the common standards, SCART RGB or Component? Also, when you're using SCART RGB with a device that supports it does that mean its making no signal conversion? and are there any capture cards out there that support an scart rgb input?

SCART is only a connector specification.

SCART connector supports Composite, S-Video/SVHS and RGB, with the first one mentioned being the least in quality, and the last one the best.

Component connectors are only used on NTSC devices afaik, and for PAL SCART is widely used.

I'm not sure about component vs. rgb, but I think I've read that RGB has slightly more bandwidth for the signal.

Comment

Darn I had thought that SCART would be able to work the NTSC standard also but I guess not, I do have a device but its seperated into PAL and NTSC and I own an NTSC version for which the SCART cable probably wouldnt work with if I connected it to it. I guess the only option for me is component video. I think component video has 3 seperations, 2 of which are half the bandwidth of RGB . What about VGA? how does that differ from SCART RGB? like a computer monitor's cable?

Comment

I think I should elaborate a bit on my first post:

SCART connectors are widely used on equipment sold in 'PAL' countries, and component only in 'NTSC' countries.

However, you can send a NTSC signal through a SCART connector, it's no problem. It's only a physical connector supporting 3 different formats. And you should know that composite and s-vhs/s-video do support NTSC

However, the actual support of s-vhs/s-video and rgb through a SCART connector is entirely dependant on the device itself.

Many TVs only support composite through SCART, or have separe connectors for composite and svhs, and composite and rgb (in combinations of 2 ).

I'm not sure about the difference between SCART-RGB and VGA out.... maybe it's theoretically possible to have VGA output the timings used by RGB input for TV signal... but I'm not sure on this, nor if there are electronic incompatibilies between the standards

Comment

Ok, about component video, it seems that it seperates the color channels which s-video can't do, but that means component video has no advantage over resoultion at all does it? S-video already seperates the picture from the color, so the only advantage component video has over s-video is more vibrant and distinct colors with less bleeding. Do you know if S-video was able to fully get all of the picture information from an RGB signal or is some of it discarded? Basically what i'm trying to do is get 1:1 video from a device, like looking at windows on your pc, its crisp and clean without bleeding. The device I want video from uses high resoultion and 32-bit color and outputting to to my marvel g400 using s-video isn't getting the picture clean as if it was being a 1:1 picture pushed into a VGA monitor without signal conversions, the device does support SCART RGB output, so what im asking is when I use SCART RGB is that uncaged video? with nothing being discarded and all the information seperate?
          Last edited by Phire; 13 October 2001, 17:19.

Comment

Anyone know of a capture card with SCART RGB in?

Comment

Working...
            X