MArvel G200 and i850

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MArvel G200 and i850

Will the G200 work with the agp slot of i850 motherboards?
    i850 use 1.5v signaling
    I have no idea what the G200 uses 3.3v ??

Oh and if anyone is interestes I am selling it :P

I don't know about all i850 mboards. I tried to put one (Mil G200) in an ASUS P4T i850 based board and it wouldn't even physically fit. The P4T's AGP slot could take a AGP 4x or AGP Pro card.

Comment

I don't think it will work. G200's are AGP 1.0 only, and it sounds like i850 boards are AGP 2.0 only. (This is NOT the same as AGP1x and AGP 2x).
      Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

If you are willing to do some serious modifications:

Check out a standard 4X cards edge connector - you will find a key-slot roughly an inch from the front of the card that is absent on the Mill 200 and is mechanically preventing it from fitting.

Go find yourself a microgrinder and machine an identical slot on the Mill 200 in the identical position on the card.

Plug in, load the drivers and there you go!

I have 4 of these modded cards running on 845 and 850 based boards because the customer insisted on re-using these cards.
        Lawrence

Comment

You've got to be kidding. I can't believe that works. The signalling voltages are all mismatched.

That's going to be ugly when the system fails.
          Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

May work, who knows

Thats what I thought too. AGP 2.0 uses 1.5v signals while AGP 1.0 uses 3.3v(not sure about that one). I would not risk it anyway.

If matrox comes up with a new DV solution other than the eTV joke, then I will upgrade.

Comment

I would have to agree with you in theory.

However, why it works I dont know - maybe Intel and the AGP2.0 spec is not telling all.

The guy has one in his server, and another 3 running as workstation for the last 3 weeks - so far he seems to be happy and he keeps telling his buddies that I dont know what I am talking about when I warned him about electrical incompatibilities

With my luck, the damn things will most likely outlast the 845 chipset!
              Lawrence

Comment

Well, the G200s are probably being supplied 1.5V, and using that as its rail for logic high. It's probably a lot more unstable like this and *something* is bound to brown out over time.

Comment

OK, I was thinking about picking up a second hand G200 Marvel, but now with all this talk about the AGP port, I better get this sorted out.

I have a Gigabyte GA-6RX <B>VIA</B> Apollo Pro 266 Chipset motherboard. It's been fitted with an AGP Pro slot, the manual lists it as a

"1x Universal AGP Pro slot 4x/2x (1.5v/3.3v) device support"

Is a Marvel G200 AGP gonna fit in that slot?

Heh, 1Ghz PIII, 4GB PC2100 ECC Reg 2.5 RAM and a whole lot of other stuff, you'd think I'd know whether or not the G200 Marvel AGP will fit...

J1NG
                  Last edited by J1NG; 15 October 2001, 13:51.

Comment

Working...
                  X