• Show
Clear All

• system lockup in Win2k, Counter-Strike

This system is

Duron 700Mhz@700Mhz
    320 MB SDRAM
    PCPartner KT133/686a with latest BIOS
    32MB TNT2 M64 with nVidia Detonator 21.83
    SB Vibra 128 with Win2k built-in drivers.
    Win2k without SP1.
    HL 1.1.0.8 - Counter-Strike 1.3 with OpenGL mode.

The lockup occured after using Win2k for quite some time. The lockup occured more evenly after playing HL:Counter-Strike for few minutes.

Since the lockup is not BSOD or anything, so I have no way to trace what went wrong from the Event Viewer or any other logs.

I think this is due to overheat, as I open up the casing, Win2k stays but HL lockup, if I put back the casing, then Win2k will lockup too! However, the temperature sensor didn't detect so.

Any one has similar symptoms/problems, do share your experience and possible solutions.

Thanks

320MB of RAM, that's probably a lot of sticks. Try just running 1 DIMM.
    Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

so you doubt it is RAM problem than any other possibilities?

Comment

Well, you seem to be on the right track with this heat thing. But you're not overclocking, so I doubt it's the CPU.

If you have a lot of sticks of RAM, timing can be precarious. Although, those sound and video cards are both known to have caused problems.

Why haven't you patched W2K?
        Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Working...
        X