Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

VIA has indentified and solved the SB crackle matter...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VIA has indentified and solved the SB crackle matter...

In the Via Hardware site, the engeneers have found the root cause of the sound issues with SB Live and VIA Chips...

Read all from : http://www.viaarena.com/?PageID=26

I think the solution described there can be applied even to the ETEQ chipset motherboards. I will reinstall soon my PC and I will check.

Regards.

Antimix

The Blame game

I like how they emphasize the fact that the live is not up to specs, but they ignore the fact that the 686B isn't either.
    Last edited by High_Jumbllama; 13 October 2001, 10:45.

Comment

And no mention of George Breese. He released a patch back when Via was denying there was even a problem. I'm still using that patch.
      Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

It ignores the following.

1) Data corruption also occurs between devices on the same channel.

2) Data corruption occurs with different soundcards.

3) Data corruption occurs with no soundcard installed.

4) Data corruption also occurs with Via drivers installed.

5) Crackling and popping is also due to the debugging code left in dx8a by Microsoft. Turning this off removes the problem and in a lot cases also stops the freezing when playing games.

My own conclusion is there is a flaw with 686b which is amplifed by various factors such as motherboard design Bios settings and other hardware installtion and configurations.
        I'm now running on a Epox 8hka which has a 8233 southbridge and it's stable as a rock.
        Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
        Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Working...
        X