RT2000 and M-JPEG

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RT2000 and M-JPEG

1. What do you mean "no longer" supports MJPeg? The RT-2000 never did and never was alluded to.

2. It's clear in all the literature from Matrox and in the discussion groups that the RT-2000 is a DV and MPEG-2 card. There is nothing in there about MJPeg because it has no hardware for it. It shares nothing with the Marvels other than the general outline of the BOB.

3. If you want to load your MJPeg files into Premiere for transcoding or inclusion in DV or MPEG-2 projects there is nothing stopping you. You just load 'em into the timeline and export them as DV or MPEG-2 so they'll work in realtime. Any recompression losses will be minimal with DV.

4. To edit and/or play them as MJPegs all you have to do is install the Pegasus PICVideo 2.0 software MJPeg codec, free at http://www.jpg.com , and it'll take care of compressing & decompressing them. This codec (and all others) will also show up in Premiere if you choose Video for Windows instead of the RT-2000 as the editing mode.

Dr. Mordrid

[This message has been edited by DrMordrid (edited 03 April 2000).]

True,

matrox doesn't talk about it's M-JPEG codec, but they do not say either that when passing from any marvel-card to the RT2000 that you can dump all your old avi-files.

hey - I tossed out my G200 to put in a G400 ! The least I expect is that this G400 can do anything my old G200 could do, and this includes displaying my old AVI files.

I've been capturing AVI-files in MJPEG for 5 years now, beginning with a Matrox Mystique with a RR adaptor card. Surely the people at Matrox could expect old RR/Marvel people to switch over to RT2000 because of its better specifications. They should provide backward compatibility with their "older" video-capture cards.

Anyway, I've just downloaded the Pegasus PICVideo 2.0 codec, we'll give it a try. If it works, you'll have saved me from a heart-attack. Thank you very much.

Comment

To my knowledge, RT2000 is neither older nor newer than the G-series cards. It's part of a completely separate suite of products designed for video professionals, stamped with the name Digisuite. It's not part of Matrox's line of display cards like the Matrox Millenium and others.

Therefore, there's no backwards-compatibility issue. By buying the RT2000, you dropped the G- designation, and entered a whole new ballgame.

Didn't the G- and RT- thing tip you just a smidgen?

Comment

But don't you examine specifications before parting with nearly £1,000 ? Or ask any questions ? I mean we ARE talking about a completely different type of card here, not just a minor evolution of old technology.

If you'd bought the DV500 instead of the RT2000, would you be sore at Pinnacle because their DV capture card didn't support your old MJPEG movies ?

It isn't difficult to find write-ups on RT200, I even published a reasonably comprehensive Preview myself some months ago (http://idiots-guide.matroxusers.com/Reviews/RT2KPreview.html)

Comment

Yes, I DID check the specifications before I bought this card and Yes, I know that the RT2000 is a new line of graphic cards.

However, I somehow expected the G400-Flex to be able to do anything my G200 could do, and more. So, I didn't expect the RT2000 to support the M-JPEG codec, but I expected the G400 to do so. Apparently, it doesn't.

Silly question : does this mean that the non-marvel version of the G200/G400 doesn't support the M-JPEG codec either ? Is this codec restricted to the Marvel-line of Matrox cards only ?

If it ain't then it's even more mysterious why my G400-Flex can't play my old M-JPEG files.

Anyway,
          I installed the Pegasus PICVideo 2.0 codecs pointed to by Drmordred, and they work fine. See how easy it is ? Why couldn't Matrox think of this ?

Comment

The G400 Flex is a Display Adapter, just like any other G400/G200 Display Adapter.

If you want to play those Matrox MJPEG files, you will need either the hardware, or a software codecs.

In order to use the hardware codecs, you will need a RRG or a Marvel (which is actually a combined G400+RRG), not just any Matrox Display Adapter.

Comment

so be it - the MJPEG codec does seem restricted to the marvel/RR-series of Matrox cards.

Comment

Why didn't Matrox bundle something like PICVideo MJPeg with the RT-2000?

Why bother? Relatively few users will need MJPeg with the RT-2000 and even if they did the solution is free and easy to implement if needed, as you discovered.

Additionally if Matrox bundled PICVideo they would also have to license and support it. They have enough support to do as it is what with the complexity of the RT-2000. The RT-2000 listserver is pushing 100-200 posts a day as it is, and sometimes more. This is often a major factor when deciding what to include.

Dr. Mordrid

[This message has been edited by DrMordrid (edited 03 April 2000).]

Comment

RT2000 and M-JPEG

Well, you can also put me on the list of RT2000-users, I've just installed mine and it works fine. However ......
                  it seems the RT2000 no longer supports the M-JPEG codec I used with my "old" Marvel G200. As a consequence, I can no longer access my old G200-AVI files.

MATROX,
                  YOU CAN NOT BE SERIOUS !

I've got tons of G200-AVI files, and access to these files is imperative.

So, can anybody give me a clue how to re-install this M-JPEG codec ?

Comment

Working...
                  X