Asynchronous chips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Asynchronous chips

Extremely interesting article in Technology Review recently on asynchronous logic chips.

Features;

NO clock to time events etc. Instead of the registers being read at regular intervals handshake signals communicate the status of a calculation and the rediness of a logic unit to do another.

3 times faster than clocked chips.

1/2 the power used as they only draw power when actually doing calculations.

Low EMF emissions.

Harder to hack.

Philips has a pager NOW that uses asynch chips and have built the infrastructure for asynch design.

Other companies like Intel etc. have been slow to do the full switch, opting instead to included small asynch features in chips like the P4 for power saving, but using conventional archetectures in the main portion of the chip.

IMHO whoever is first out of the box with a fully asynchronous CPU is going to be a BIG winner.

Dr. Mordrid
    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 12 October 2001, 21:12.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Yes, asynch design has a lot of potential. But it's INCREDIBLY hard to do, and damn near impossible on a general-purpose design.

And "3 times faster than clocked chips. " Ehhh. There's no way to come up with a number like that. If a clocked chip were optimally designed, then an asynch couldn't do better than it. Then there's the debate about the handshaking logic. It may or may not take up more space than clock distribution.

General purpose asynch CPU? Everybody would like this to work, but nobody's close. Sun might be closest, but they're still a long way off.
    Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Still, you know how development goes.

The old farts (you know, the guys over 26 ) work on something for years then some snotnose comes out of MIT or Stanford at 22 and up goes the balloon.....

Dr. Mordrid
      Dr. Mordrid

Comment

I wonder why Intel got Pauly Inside?

Possible split personality? Let's see now... Hmmm 2/47.6 = 23.8 year old

Sh*t that's why he still plays UT and has P4's running so fast!
        "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

I thought Motorola were working and progressing quite nice on async chips. Anyone know more about that?
          IMHO Motorolas CPUs were always better than Intels/AMDs/anything x86 from a sheer technological point of view. Unfortunately they're not as fast (even though Steve Jobs wants you to believe that). But then a good portion of the "slowness" of the PPC can be attributed to BloatOS X.
          But we named the *dog* Indiana...
          My System
          2nd System (not for Windows lovers )
          German ATI-forum

Comment

I'm not "OLD" just very experienced and open minded....LOL

I have spent most of my time fighting that "OLD" entrenched "This is the way we have always done it mentality" To me that's a challenge to "Break it" and make it run better....LOL

Integration Systems has been a great area to make changes. I can influence all Manufacturing Processes and Areas. I'm involved in the FAB, SORT and C4 areas and making progress slowly but surely. I'm on the POLY Module, Far Back End Module and all the Engineering Lot Starts go through me for review before I submit them to MFG.

I have 12 yrs experience in Process development for Analog & Digital ASIC Devices and Integrated CMOS & Micromachine devices. So yes, I'm an Oddball at Intel but this is one company that truely values people for their diversity.

We were the first FAB to get volume Yield on the 2.0GHz P4s

<FONT SIZE=4>...Got DARTH INSIDE!!!...YOU WILL!!!<SUP>tm</SUP> ...
            "Never interfere with the enemy when he is in the process of destroying himself"

Comment

Well, when we start using quantum computers, then things will really fly
              Gigabyte GA-K8N Ultra 9, Opteron 170 Denmark 2x2Ghz, 2 GB Corsair XMS, Gigabyte 6600, Gentoo Linux
              Motion Computing M1400 -- Tablet PC, Ubuntu Linux

"if I said you had a beautiful body would you take your pants off and dance around a bit?" --Zapp Brannigan

Comment

*Technically speaking* we're all using quantum computers now since QM effects can be found everywhere

Dr. Mordrid
                Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Motorola !! Ho don't start me reminiscing about the Amiga A1200,,,, I will never get any work done

I do miss the power leap though going from a 68x020 at 14.25 mhz too a 68x030 at 50mhz
                  was like 10x times faster, and the 60mhz 68x060 felt faster than pentiumP100

I surpass i could wait longer between cpu upgrades to get the same performance leap
                  My PC :Matrox G400TV AMD Duron750mhz@850mhz,256Mb,Abit KT7133raid,10gb ibm,10gb seagete,20gb7.2k-rmp fujitsu,LG CDWR 40x16x10
                  win98se
                  Entertainment : P150mhz@160mhz,16mb,VX MBoad,PCI-TNT with TV/out,H+ dvd,Creative x5 dvd

Comment

Still have an A3000 and A4000 on my network. Both have Toasters....

Dr. Mordrid
                    Dr. Mordrid

Comment

I don't think there are many here that know what you mean with the toasters...

and Zeb, yes the 68060 was definitely a fine chip. Just came out over a year too late (Motorola and their development cycles). BTW it was only available for the Amiga as 50MHz version, but still gave the early PPCs some tough competition when used in ShapeShifter (a MacEMU).
                      And the 68060@50 really is roughly comparable to a Pentium90 performance-wise, then take the advantages of AmigaOS against WinBloat and you know why the system "feels" much faster.

But back to the original question. I think I've read something about Motorola and progresses with async CPUs, but I can't find the source anymore. So, anyone who knows more about this?
                      My System
                      German ATI-forum

Comment

Dr Mordrid;
                        "Still have an A3000 and A4000 on my network. Both have Toasters...."
                        Wonderful long live the amiga (but not their NTSC only Toasters)
                        Just joking, because i'm in PAL land.

Indiana;
                        "BTW it was only available for the Amiga as 50MHz version"
                        I believe a company called "Apollo" made 66mhz and 80mhz versions,
                        they may have been over clocked 50mhz chips.

my apologies i know it was me that dragged us off topic.
                        My PC :Matrox G400TV AMD Duron750mhz@850mhz,256Mb,Abit KT7133raid,10gb ibm,10gb seagete,20gb7.2k-rmp fujitsu,LG CDWR 40x16x10
                        win98se
                        Entertainment : P150mhz@160mhz,16mb,VX MBoad,PCI-TNT with TV/out,H+ dvd,Creative x5 dvd

Comment

Oh dear, Apollo... Maybe there were Apollo boards with 60MHz , but surely not with 80MHz. And the Apollo boards were quite crappy.
                          Of course some oc'ed their Phase5 Cyberstorm cards to 60MHz and more, but this usually gave the downside of a non-working UW-SCSI.
                          My System
                          German ATI-forum

Comment

I am 1 meter away from a pile of amiga mags.
                            give me a few mins too see what i can dig out.
                            win98se

Comment

well i can't find the article about 80mhz 68060's ,but i do remember that Motorola's road map for
                              the 68060 when up to 100mhz, i just looked at Motorola's web and the spec's say it finished at 75mhz
                              (because of low demand maybe ? )

All that hunting though old amiga mag's
                              now i want computer nirvana
                              Here's some pictures i just scanned.

Motorola's web

link to the MC68060 page
                              win98se

Comment

Working...
                              X