Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jake got a new rig. G400 will run AGPX4????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jake got a new rig. G400 will run AGPX4????

Hi guys,

I just upgraded my rig this weekwith the following new stuff:

Athlon Tbird 1133 Mhz (runs 1533 out of the box, no tweaks)
    Abit KG7-RAID
    256 MB PC2100 Crucial RAM
    40 GB IBM GXP60 HDD
    Plextor 161040 IDE CD-RW
    Toshiba 1502 DVD-ROM
    Antec SX630 tower with 300W PSU

I reused this from my old rig:

Matrox G400 Millenium 32 MB DH
    Sound Blaster 128 PCI
    15 BG Quantum Fireball lct15 in a drawer.
    Logitech Cordless Desktop keyboard and mouse.
    17" Dell 1028 monitor. (sucks )
    El' cheapo NIC, floopy drive etc.

I'm getting the Tbird swapped for an Athlon XP1700+ today

I'll post some benchmarks later this evening. I got 1290 3dMarks in 3dMark2001 last night testing without OC at 1133 Mhz.

Anyway my original question is this:

I ran the Matrox Tweak util and Sandra and the both say my G400 is running true AGPX4. Can this be right????

I seem to remember that it was only AGPX4 "compatible", meaning that it would run AGPX2 in boards that were built with AGPX4 support. Did big M change this? My G400 is about 1½ years old, so I guess it a "later version". I'm at work now so I don't have the serial or revison number, but if you need it I'll dig it out tonight.

Regards,

Jake
    Who is General Failiure and why is he reading my drive?
    ----------------------
    Powercolor Radeon 9700np, Asus A7N8X mobo bios ver. 1007UBER, AthlonXP2800+@3200+ (200 Mhz fsb, 2.2 Ghz) on TT Silent Storm, 2*256Mb Kingston HyperX PC3500 DDR-RAM, 19" Samsung 959NF monitor, Pioneer A04 DVD-RW, Two WD800 80 GB HDD's, IBM Deskstar 40 GB

Hi Jake

The newer G400s can run at 4x. You can tell from the product number. Search this forum for the exact details.

BTW your 3dMarks2001 number seems a little low to me. You should be able to get another ~200 points by upping the FSB (if your mobo will) a little and o/c the G400. I get ~!500.

Tony.
    FT.

Comment

Thanks Tony!

Like I said the score of 1290 was obtained without any oc to CPU or G400.

I haven't realy been fiddling around with the settings yet, but when I get my new Athlon XP1700+ you can bet your left one, I'll OC this baby until she screams! The stick of Crucial should be able to do 150-160 fsb on my KG7. I'll shoot for a 10.5 or 11 multiplier. I just hope I can unlock the bridges right. Seems this chip has "ditches" to prevent the pen trick. Someone wrote on the Hardocp forum, that you could use a conductor pen from a "car window defroster repair kit".

I think I'll get me a good GFX cooler too. Any suggestions? I kinda had my eye on one of those blueorb thingies. Anyone know If they can be used with a G400?

What did you use to OC your G400? The Matrox Tweak Util? What setting are you using (Mhz)?

Btw. I'm running Windows XP Pro (final). Will that severly affect my 3dMark2001 score?

Jake
      Last edited by Jake; 12 October 2001, 01:59.
      Who is General Failiure and why is he reading my drive?
      ----------------------
      Powercolor Radeon 9700np, Asus A7N8X mobo bios ver. 1007UBER, AthlonXP2800+@3200+ (200 Mhz fsb, 2.2 Ghz) on TT Silent Storm, 2*256Mb Kingston HyperX PC3500 DDR-RAM, 19" Samsung 959NF monitor, Pioneer A04 DVD-RW, Two WD800 80 GB HDD's, IBM Deskstar 40 GB

Comment

Hi Jake

I've got a tenmax Lasagne cooler on my GPU, and a large fan blowing air across the back of it too. I've seen a lot of people say the blorb is crap, not least because it isn't flat! I'm using mgatweak, which comes with really good help files for setting it up. I can't remember the exact numbers, but it is nearly at G400 MAX levels.

One of the XP reviews suggested conductive tape to make the links. Probably easier to undo than paint.

I think XP does give a small hit. I'm only running 98SE, and soon to dual boot with Win2k Pro (maybe XP also for fun). Check out the BenchMarks forum.

Good Luck!

Tony.
        FT.

Comment

Working...
        X