Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MS gives .NET presentation using WMV

Hello,

Just thought you folks would get a kick out of this. I am at a tech conference on .NET. Very cool stuff, but got a major chuckle out of their "home" videos.

Those guys at MS have some fun making videos. Everything from Elvis impressions to takes on Animal House are done. Funny thing about that is the VPs and above get involved. Great material!

All that aside, it was very interesting to see how they delivered the video. As you guessed it, they used WMP8 (yep, XP is everywhere at this conference) and WMV format.

I could not believe it. That format looks fine in a window. It does not look good on a large projection screen. A fair amount of squinting was being done. The video definitely did not have a full impact. Strange, but I would think they would really want to show off clarity.

Well, have fun with this one. I'm off.

MS seems to have produced a downloadable codec for wmv and media player 6.4.

I can't believe people will accept the quality of streaming media.
    I just watched the new Garbage music video over a cable modem as *.wmv. I would say it was tolerable in a window, and quite impressive for the bandwidth (data rate) but I grow tired of dancing bears very quickly.

Producing this *.asf or *.wmv stuff for a quick Emailed video is fun. I do it quite often, but its about the only use I can see for it.

--wally.

Comment

Same here. I almost choked the first time I saw M$'s "DVD quality" WM8 samples

Terry
      Dr. Mordrid
      ----------------------------
      An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

I just encoded a 20-minute Public Works video using the highest quality setting.

The fellow who wanted to see it on his computer is still on Windows 95.

I downloaded the Media Player 6.4 for him. Wally's right... the player also downloaded the latest codec and played the .wmv file.

It looked pretty good, actually, considering its file size.

Not DVD quality by any means, but quite acceptable for the purpose intended.

Comment

Working...
        X