1.4 g Athlon cpu temp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1.4 g Athlon cpu temp

My motherboard shows that my Athlon 1.4 gig (with fan attached) to be running at 54C . Is this too hot?

regards MD
    Interests include:
    Computing, Reading, Pubs, Restuarants, Pubs, Curries, More Pubs and more Curries

I think it's ok. Mine at full charge never goes upper than 52ÂșC.

Comment

Apparently Athlons can reach about 90 until it starts to be worrying. This is heresay from a friend of mine. I'm pretty sure he'd be right.

P.S. I was oc'ing my P3 and ASUS Probe was reporting 70 degrees, and P3's are much worse with heat than Athlons.
      P3 500 @ 600
      256MB PC133 RAM
      64MB PC100 RAM
      Primary: Gateway EV700 17"
      Secondary: AcerView 54eL 15"
      WinXP Professional Build 2600 (with Plus!, it's prettified!)
      G400 MAX (@ 171, 228)
      Monster Sound MX400
      512/128 DSL from SMC EZ Card
      Samsung 8X DVD-ROM
      ASUS P3B-F
      Logitech X1 Speakers
      Logitech Cordless Mouse SE
      Logitech Internet Keyboard
      19.1G IBM 60GXP
      8.4G Seagate
      1.57G Fujitsu

Comment

Thanks. At least that rules out overheating as a problem.

regards Michael
        Interests include:
        Computing, Reading, Pubs, Restuarants, Pubs, Curries, More Pubs and more Curries

Comment

Actually, P3's are awesome with heat when compared to an Athlon. Needless to say, they will all fry the same if you don't have a heatsink/fan, but the coppermine series of P3's really did well with the whole heat problem.

Comment

Temp

54C on a 1,4Ghz Athlon is no problem! You can beginn to wory when you reach 75-80C on the processor!

The thermal diode is probably under your CPU socket! The new AthlonXP processors have an integrated thermail diode.....

Comment

Why don't you guys refer to the tech doc's on the cpu's before claiming that one is better than another?!

Basically it boils down to how many watts of power a specific cpu consumes in order to operate properly (does not apply to OC'd cpu's as that varies), this is then directly related to operating temperature and thus how good your specific cooling solution is.

The only advantage the P3 has over AMD chips is the shutdown circuitry that helps to prevent the chip from burning up if your stoopid enough to run without a HS/fan in the first place.
              Last edited by Greebe; 12 October 2001, 09:55.
              "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Greebe
                the shutdown circuitry that helps to prevent the chip from burning up if your stoopid enough to run without a HS/fan in the first place.
                Noone on the whole wide world could be stupid enough to do such a thing.
                Well, noone except Tom, of course
                But we named the *dog* Indiana...
                My System
                2nd System (not for Windows lovers )
                German ATI-forum

Comment

Had a customer who thought it was his new memmory that made his TB1400 become to hot!

He also thought that if the cpu got hotter than 40 deg celcius the cpu "would not performe optimaly"
                  If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

54ÂșC is normal for regular cooling. Make sure that you have good case ventilation, because that makes all the diference even with a decent heatink. My 900@1000, default voltage, goes from 46ÂșC to 54ÂșC if I turn the extra case fan off.

Apparently Athlons can reach about 90 until it starts to be worrying. This is heresay from a friend of mine. I'm pretty sure he'd be right
                    P.S. I was oc'ing my P3 and ASUS Probe was reporting 70 degrees, and P3's are much worse with heat than Athlons.
                    Werdna, I believe 90ÂșC should be the max operating temp specÂŽd by AMD for the Thunderbird. But that means the inner core temp, not the temp mesured by the socket external probe. LetÂŽs just say I would start worring a bit sooner than 90ÂșC (IMHO anything above 60Âș readings is bad)

ThatÂŽs the diference between AMD and Intel cpuÂŽs also. The temps cannot be compared because PIII temps are being read from the internal diode, reflecting a acurate measure, Athlon temps are read from the external thermistor. The cpu core will be actually 10-15ÂșC hotter than the external reading.

Comment

temp also depends on your motherboard.

My Gigabyte reads higher than most other mobos because the thermal probe is raised inside the socket, and touches the back of the CPU with quite a bit of force (and I put thermal compound on it).

Im at 52C at the moment with a 1.4@1.6 1.9Volts. Before I went to water cooling I was getting up into the 70s before crashing.

I have no case fans and 4 hard drives creating heat.

Ali

Comment

Ran some tests on my Duron 800@1,000.
                        Wanted to see how long the cpu would go without a fan.
                        Monitored temps with a probe.
                        Heatsink used was a Thermalright SK6.
                        System booted with no problem.
                        Windows loaded with no problems.
                        Stood with my finger on the switch!
                        Temp.,needless to say, continued to rise.
                        BSOD 64c.
                        Shut system down,let it cool,reattached fan,system returned to normal.
                        The 90c temp stated is the internal temp and the temp the cpu could tolerate(not for long!)
                        It appeared the maximum temp this cpu could tolerate was indeed the 64c,before problems arose.
                        I would use this as a rough guide as to outer temp of slug and what to look for.
                        60c and under should be okay.
                        My current temps are :
                        CPU under load.37c.
                        Normal 34c.
                        Ambient temp (motherboard) is 78f.

Comment

Alfie, the max operating spec only applies to non overclocked cpu's. Since you've already exceeded the normal range to begin with, by OCing the cpu beyond of it's normal operational range forces the Max temp down. This is the reason so many of us have proclaimed from the begining, to achieve best OC results extreme cooling methods must be implored.

note: Nuno is also correct and must also be taken into consideration
                          "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

Comment

I understand that,Greebe and looking at Nuno's post and seeing that the innercore temp will run 10-15c higher than outer slug temp and taking a +/- of 2c. We see that the inner temp of my cpu probably was reaching 74c-82c, when the BSOD popped up,I shut down immediately,the cpu probably could have gotten hotter,but...
                            I was simply trying to lay out an average max.using the temps MBR or bios temps might read,as a guide line.

Comment

Ok, but the baseline that you are making only applies to your system in particular.

Comment

Working...
                              X