A heavy optimization for your Internet connection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A heavy optimization for your Internet connection

Simply don't have Windows Media Player opened in the background and playing CD's while you are connected.
    Sat on a pile of deads, I enjoy my oysters.

That would downgrade my 100Mbps connection to 50Mbps? The horror!

But would you care to give us some explanation? I don't have those problems here (w2k)

Comment

Well, that's not that much a problem for me now that I know it.

Simply, if I have WMP in the background, the connection errors jump very high. About 1 or 2 at second
      Sat on a pile of deads, I enjoy my oysters.

Comment

Dude we need details here... what kind of net connection/type of modem/OS etc
        "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Probably MS spying on you
          Gigabyte GA-K8N Ultra 9, Opteron 170 Denmark 2x2Ghz, 2 GB Corsair XMS, Gigabyte 6600, Gentoo Linux
          Motion Computing M1400 -- Tablet PC, Ubuntu Linux

"if I said you had a beautiful body would you take your pants off and dance around a bit?" --Zapp Brannigan

Comment

I'd noticed that when playing UT.

Don't ask why I had MP7 and UT going at the same time.

err., never mind, I'll just explain-

I have a multimedia keyboard, and sometimes get into hot'n'heavy matches, with lots of rapid movement around my keyboard keys. I guess I hit the play button by accident or something (only happened 3 of 4 times since I got the kb over a year ago). Anyway, UT suddenly slowed to a crawl, with the nice red connection indicator on-screen. Alt-Enter to put it into a window revealed MP7 displayed on screen. Closing it allowed UT to work properly again.

Go figure..
            "..so much for subtlety.."

System specs:
            Gainward Ti4600
            AMD Athlon XP2100+ (o.c. to 1845MHz)

Comment

WMP7 does talk to MS (one of the many reasons I still run MP6.4) about a lot of stuff, but I don't think it was your connection that was really running out. It was contention for your own internal buses.
              Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Working...
              X