Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1.8 Ghz athlon MP

check out this link

Initially i thought that this was a typeing error but an e-mail confirmed that these peaople are due to stock the 1.8 Ghz athlon MP from the 18th of october.
    check out this link for full details:

Just when we thought AMD were on the way down they pull this beuty out.
    I bet it will kill the P4 2 Ghz!
    Makes you wonder how long it will be before normal palmino's(sorry athlonxp's) get to this speed.
    not long i bet(before christmas?)
    is a flower best picked in it's prime or greater withered away by time?
    Talk about a dream, try to make it real.

Are you sure it's a 1.8 GHz AthlonXP - or merely an AthlonXP 1800+ clocked only at 1.5-1.6 GHz?
    But we named the *dog* Indiana...
    My System
    2nd System (not for Windows lovers )
    German ATI-forum

Comment

for some reason the item has now been removed but was advertised as a 1.8GHZ athlonmp not xp and was priced at around $350 which would be very pricy for an xp1800
      is a flower best picked in it's prime or greater withered away by time?
      Talk about a dream, try to make it real.

Comment

Looks like the retailers are getting confused.
        Last edited by isochar; 8 October 2001, 19:16.

Comment

It's a 1.53GHz Palomino core Athlon.
          AMD Athlon-C 1200MHz
          512MB Crucial PC133 CAS2
          MSI K7T Turbo
          45GB IBM Deskstar 75GXP
          Plextor Ultraplex 40x
          Matrox G400 16MB Dualhead
          Matrox RRG add-on
          19" Samsung SyncMaster 955DF
          GNU/Linux (and Windows 2000 Professional)

Comment

TdB

PR-rating strikes again
            This sig is a shameless atempt to make my post look bigger.

Comment

It was an Athlon MP not XP these don't use the peformance rating system, well the current ones don't. They are due for a speed hike but a jump from 1.2Ghz to 1.8Ghz is a bit supprising.
              When you own your own business you only have to work half a day. You can do anything you want with the other twelve hours.

Comment

Re: TdB

Originally posted by TDB
                PR-rating strikes again
                Intel made us do it

Comment

Doesn't Intel make everybody do it!!!

Comment

Yes indeed they do. And they also capture and take away our livestock when we're not looking.
                    Someday, we'll look back on this, laugh nervously and change the subject.

Comment

I just got an idea of what Rambus will be telling the judges when they will be convicted of breaching patents or whatever they are trialed for

Comment

TdB

the reason why intels p4 was designed to reach these high clock speed was not for pr reason, it was because intel likes to stick with the same architechture for many years, pentium, pentium 2 and 3, basically has the same architecture, so they want a very future proof architechture they can use for many years, unlike amd who likes to invent new stuff every year.
                        This sig is a shameless atempt to make my post look bigger.

Comment

Got to love the new Thermal Diode AMD came up with.....LOL

It buys you a fraction of a second before the chip burns up and takes out the motherboard with it.

Paul
                          "Never interfere with the enemy when he is in the process of destroying himself"

Comment

Supposedly the thermal diode wasn't enabled in the bios, so that's why some claim that the palomino burnt up. Even if it's true, pretty stupid of AMD to make thermal protection an "option" you can disable.

Comment

I stand corrected:
                              Actually, Tom's article said that the Siemens board that was used was designed to read from the onboard diode. When he contacted Siemens about that when the CPU fried, Siemens engineers claimed that what he saw was accurate. They claim the onboard thermal diode could only accomodate 1C change per second. Since removing the HSF on these chips would cause a substantially faster change, the diode couldn't react in time.

In other words, the onboard thermal diode would cut it as far as saving your system if the fan on your HSF failed, but not if the entire HSF fell off.

I also want to point out that there has been nothing said about the chip "clocking down". That is what the P4's clock throttling mechanism does. The Palomino core has not been shown to have any such mechanism, and would more than likely do what the P3 did...shut down when temps got too high.

Comment

Working...
                              X