Making the same mistake twice?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Making the same mistake twice?

By now everyone must have heard the stories about how the UK SAS, US CIA and Pakistani Intelligence trained the Afghan fighters (including the Taliban and Bin Ladens bunch) to fight the Soviets.
    We can all see how much gratitude they hold for those who aided them in the past.

Now with action underway against the Taliban, rumors are already rife (and probably true) that the SAS, CIA are once again in Afghanistan, this time training the troops of the Anti-Taliban Nothern Alliance forces.

This does not strike me as a good idea. Although its preferable to get someone else to do your fighting for you, this risks leaving a well trained, well equipped and motivated force in Afghanistan who you cant guarentee will still be freinds once the fighting is over.

Are we risking making the same mistake twice?
    Athlon XP-64/3200, 1gb PC3200, 512mb Radeon X1950Pro AGP, Dell 2005fwp, Logitech G5, IBM model M.

Yes we are at risk. Bin laden was our greatest Pal against the soviet invasion. Saddam insane was a greatest pal against Iran.
    I don't think we should train or arm them as the risks are to great.
    Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
    Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Don't forget about Noriega, we trained him at the School of the Americas....and look where that got us.

We have a history of training future enemies....hmmmmm....anybody seeing a trend here? That's one reason why people are pissed at America....we tend to dip in other peoples' affairs through training, then go to war later because of it.

b
      Why do today what you can put off until tomorrow? But why put off until tomorrow what you can put off altogether?

Comment

Working...
      X