To be or not to be ... deinterlaced?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To be or not to be ... deinterlaced?

How can I check if a particular MJPEG-file is deinterlaced or not? I have MS and AvidCinema. I can't find where these programs tell me that?
    Thanks.

They can't tell the difference, and it's certainly not recorded anywhere in the file.

That's why you have to specify what clips are field-A, field-B, and frame-based.

Comment

That depends on how big your captured clip is:
      352*288/320*240 (PAL/NTSC) not interlaced
      704*576/640*480 (PAL/NTSC) Interlaced

------------------
      INTEL PIII550 MSI 6163
      G400Mill 32MB SGRAM + RRG
      SBlive
      192 MB RAM CAS2
      43GB HDD Space!(Actual 40GB) (13+30 Quantum drives)
      Pioneer 104S DVD 10x CD 40x SLOT IN
      SONY CRX100E 4/2/24 CDRW
      If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

More complicated than that Technoid. It's true that from 1/4 frame downwards Matrox treats all AVI as frame based. Not everyone does tho.

Also, although full and half-frame default (under Matrox) to field based, this can be overridden by the editing package.

And lastly, no matter which you capture in, the final rendering can be user-chosen and doesn't have to match the input type (OK, it's fairly suicidal to try, but it IS possible).

Of course, unless your final aim is output to VCR, interlacing (ie fields) is not overly useful

Comment

As to when to use interlaced video, you need it any time the video is targeted to be displayed on an interlaced TV screen (99% of 'em now); VCR, VideoCD, SuperVideoCD, DVD....whatever.

When the target display is a computer or progressive scan display then the preferred mode is usually frame, but even then you might run into the need for interlaced video in some sequences because it handles fast motion better than frame video.

Dr. Mordrid

[This message has been edited by DrMordrid (edited 03 April 2000).]

Comment

Working...
          X