Just found my next harddrive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just found my next harddrive

The Western Digital 1000BB-SE with the increased 8MB buffer looks like a winner

"That's right fool! Now I'm a flying talking donkey!"

P4 2.66, 512 mb PC2700, ATI Radeon 9000, Seagate Barracude IV 80 gb, Acer Al 732 17" TFT

Now that's a fat cache!

I'm still waiting for the 10k rpm IDE's to hit
    "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

I don't know if you read the whole review, but SR said that this extra cache gives the same performance they calculate a 10k drive to give.
      Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

hmm, no need to upgrade my x15 just yet then!

Comment

That was also true of some 5400 vs 7200's, but then the 7200 came back with a vengence

Same will be true with 10k drives
          "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

Comment

Re: Just found my next harddrive

Originally posted by CHHAS
            The Western Digital 1000BB-SE with the increased 8MB buffer looks like a winner
            Is it SCSI? No. Then it is no winner

SCSI roolz.

Comment

Just as a warning....I've had tons of Western Digital Hard Drives go bad on me. Only saving grace was that when they did start to go it wasn't to the point that I couldn't get the important data off them and their return/replacement policy is second to none! When I was working for a small Networking company, our system builder used nothing but WD drives and I remember at one point in time I had over a half dozen of them on my desk from a 2 month period of time. I would still suggest them though

Scott
              Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

Comment

I've heard those 10000 RPM drives (at least the early ones) shook like crazy and got really hot. Wonder if they will eventually come with fans/heatsinks preattached
                Gigabyte GA-K8N Ultra 9, Opteron 170 Denmark 2x2Ghz, 2 GB Corsair XMS, Gigabyte 6600, Gentoo Linux
                Motion Computing M1400 -- Tablet PC, Ubuntu Linux

"if I said you had a beautiful body would you take your pants off and dance around a bit?" --Zapp Brannigan

Comment

Just found out that the WD1000BB-SE is only available from WD's online shop, which doesn't ship to Europe
                  "That's right fool! Now I'm a flying talking donkey!"

P4 2.66, 512 mb PC2700, ATI Radeon 9000, Seagate Barracude IV 80 gb, Acer Al 732 17" TFT

Comment

TnT, if the drives shook like crazy then the platters aren't balanced and the bearings would overheat/blowout in a heartbeat.

I highly doubt they would/could bring a drive like that to market.

Comment

With memory prices like these days, I do wonder why HDD's don't have realy large caches....

like 32 or 64....
                      If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Working...
                      X