FastTrak and drives compatibility query

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FastTrak and drives compatibility query

After 9 months away I'm back in the forum!

I have a Promise FastTrak that currently has 2 Seagate drives on it, and I have a single Maxtor Diamondmax 13.6GB UDMA33 drive for system stuff. I'm thinking about adding 3 more maxtors and putting them all on the array and using the seagates for system drives. I've found 13.6GB Maxtor's cheap, but they're all UDMA33/66. I'm wondering whether they'll play nicely with my existing older drive on the FastTrak. I just waded through Maxtor's site but didn't find anything that would address this issue. Anyone here have any idea?

Thanks!
    -Mike

First of all, Welcome back to the Forum

Yes you can raid the three drives together as long as there the same size.

Cheers,
    Elie

Comment

Hi Elie, thanks for the welcome.

Just to clarify, I'm trying to be sure that the three new drives will work on an array with the one older one for a total of 4 drives. I wasn't sure from your reply whether you meant that just putting three drives on the array would be fine, or that you meant they'd work okay with the fourth older drive. Does that sound do-able? I think the newer drives have a 2mb buffer and the old one has 512KB. The newer ones will work under UDMA33 as will the old one. I know it would be ideal to have 4 identical drives, but I'm hoping that it will work if they're similar enough.

Thanks!
      -Mike

Comment

I recall someone named Mike who hasn't been at the forum for awhile. I'm positive your user name wasn't MyCranium the first time around though! Welcome back.

There might be a problem using those Maxtor drives with a FastTrack. Check out this thread at the Storage Review forum.

http://www.storagereview.com/ubb/For...ML/002329.html

It may take a bit of time to load up, there's 263 posts!

Comment

It should work fine. On a FT33 they'll all be running as ATA33's anyhow.

Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Working...
          X