• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Klipsch Promedias have some competition from Logitech

And they are $100.00 cheaper too!!!

Logitech Z-560 Preview

Paul
    "Never interfere with the enemy when he is in the process of destroying himself"

The reviewer must be audibly handicapped. A speaker without tweeters or horns for highs? No crossover? He even tries to say that Altec Lansing's are high-end computer speakers. (More like Klipsch & Videologic) I don't place any trust in what he says.

Comment

Iso if you heard some of the speakers I've built that were based on a single driver (and had the slightest clue as to how they could possibly sound extremely good) you wouldn't be sticking that foot in your mouth before hearing them.

More reviews...

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

and a Press announcement...

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

Comment

For some odd reason every high end speaker I look at separates the signal via a crossover and sends them to drivers that are designed for certain frequencies.

I'm sure that you have custom-built boxes using high-end drivers that can sound good. However, if you use a crossover and tweeters/midranges/woofers/subwoofers it'll sound much better than having one driver.

Same principle applies here. The money saved on a crossover may have been used for slightly higher quality drivers, but the fact remains this is a $200 system that needs to give some income to Logitech. That said, I can't see how Klipsch, which has 50% more to spend on parts due to the $300 price tag, can provide worse drivers than Logitech.
          Last edited by isochar; 7 October 2001, 16:49.

Comment

The only way I could see the Logitech's "smoking" the Klipsch is if they are taking a substantial loss on each set sold. (To increase market share/awareness)

Comment

The biggest problem with mutliple componets in any speaker is that it hurts imaging. Additionally the passive crossover used in these adds an additional phaseshift.

Actively driven speaker with Linkwitz-Riley/Chebyshev/Bessel filter types do not exhibit this problem.

Comment

Greebe, I think this is the first time I don't trust what you're saying.

Multiple drivers IMPROVES the imaging, as long as a crossover is used to prevent overlapping. They can cover the audible frequency range better with less distortion. The more drivers in the frequency spectrum for specific frequency ranges, the better reproduction.

Most decent crossovers nowadays have the ability to adjust for phaseshift, so I do not consider that a problem.

These Logitechs, if they used a crossover to limit the frequency range, would sound good in the small frequency range that the satellites could reproduce without distortion. However, as the preview stated, they do not even use a crossover! Which means that the speakers will distort once they get songs that start covering a wide High/Low freq. range. Even the sub will be receiving the entire range of music, so it'll be distorting at ~150hz and up!

The Klipsch will do a better reproduction since they can reproduce a wider frequency range without distortion. (Multiple drivers, crossover)

The previewer just didn't know what to listen for.

Comment

Iso I don't care one way or another whether you believe me or not.

Maybe later I'll post up the ABC's and 123's of speaker design physics, but at the moment I'm enjoying Who is Floyd and why is he Pink

Comment

I know you don't care if I believe you or not. I'm just simply pointing to the fact that what you're saying in the 7th post goes against everything I have read and heard from audio professionals.

By all means, please correct my information if it's wrong.

Comment

There's no such thing as an audio professional. Being a professional means, among other things, passing some standard of measure that others in the field have agreed upon.

This is exceptionally untrue of the audio arena. This is where people are told to color the rims of their CD's green to improve the sound, and you can find cables that claim to transmit the sound faster than the speed of light. Somehow, people believe all this crap.

Snake oil salesmen didn't stop selling, they just found that home entertainment is a more lucrative field than health care.
                      Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Audio professional is much easier to type than "individual who works with various audio equipment countless hours a day for the past 10 years."

Comment

high-end computer speakers
                          I'd say oxymoron but I really hate that word.. damn! I said it!

... I use single driver speakers in my system. They are called headphones.

"individual who works with various audio equipment countless hours a day for the past 10 years."
                          I guess that's me, then..

There's no such thing as an audio professional. Being a professional means, among other things, passing some standard of measure that others in the field have agreed upon.

This is exceptionally untrue of the audio arena. This is where people are told to color the rims of their CD's green to improve the sound, and you can find cables that claim to transmit the sound faster than the speed of light. Somehow, people believe all this crap.

Snake oil salesmen didn't stop selling, they just found that home entertainment is a more lucrative field than health care.
                          btw, thanks so much for the compliment, Wombat.
                          Last edited by KvHagedorn; 7 October 2001, 22:39.

Comment

Computer speakers traditionally have been pieces of garbage. The Klipsch and Videologic have set new standards in the area, thus I consider them the "high-end" of computer speakers.

I have a set of Sennheiser HD600s to take the Klipsch's place in the morning & at night.

Comment

Working...
                            X