G400 Vs G550 Comparision?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G400 Vs G550 Comparision?

I'm looking for some advice here, I currently have a G400 paired with a P3-500, and I'm looking for a new card for my Dual 866,
    how does the G550 fare performance wise? I tend to spend most of my time at a desktop, but would like to be able to play the odd game or 3. picture quality is also important, esp as I want to pair it up with a Sony G400 monitor at 1280x1024.

Anyone used both and could comment on speed?

ta muchly,
    Colin
    You wanna piece of me? here, *crunch*, o.k. not _that_ bit.

If you get the G550, put it in the P3-500. The 3D performance of the G400 will get a nice boost with the faster processor.

2D quality: some people say their G550 is slightly better, but there are a few who say theirs is definitely worse than their G400s.

Disclaimer: I don't own a G550. You'll want somebody that does.
    Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

In a few words G550 has definitely worst 2D quality than G400 although not too much difference but noticable.
      550 is also slower on 32bit / 2D especially on high resolutions

The choice is yours

Comment

and again... we beta testers do not see poorer 2D quality with the G550.
        "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Greebe
          and again... we beta testers do not see poorer 2D quality with the G550.
          Sorry to disagree with you Greebe but after a month or so using G550 on three pro class monitors (Sony F520, EIZO T962, EIZO F980) i still find its quality and speed worst than G400Max. I've also read many user negative comments around but i only trust my eyes

Comment

Well I am using it on a Pro class monitor @1600x1200 16 and 32bit via BNC and subD connector. Very crisp, clean and vibrant.

Was yours an OEM or retail boxed version?
            "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

Comment

Greebe, do you know if any of the BB ppl use dual machines? I'd love to be able to use my card to play the odd game, I don't care that the game will only use one proc, I just don't want it to crash every 10 mins...

Comment

Maggi runs a dualie. Ask him.

But from listening to Gurm, your sound card is likely to be your culprit.
                Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

o.k. (maggi if you read this please respond).

I've tried both a Soundblaster Live,(yeah I know they're as buggy as *bing*, so I tried the on-board sound, stability is better with the on-board, so...
                  I am hoping to get a new soundcard soon, and I like the idea of the firewire port on the audigy, as well as the live-drive, (mind you the hercules cards are supposed to be quite good...)

C

Comment

Originally posted by Greebe
                    Was yours an OEM or retail boxed version?
                    I bought two retail boxed G550. Neither of them compete G400Max in terms of quality (in my case of course)

Did you try to change 550 with 400 on the same setup ? Believe me there is a noticable difference in terms of desktop 2D quality and speed.

Comment

I switched directly from my G400 to the G550.
                      I saw no loss in desktop quality or speed, in fact it looked slightly crisper to me, and better blue saturation. This is on a 21" Viewsonic P810 running 1280x1024x32bit.
                      Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

Whats the stability like with SMP for you kruzin? do you play any games with it?

Colin.

Comment

In the same machine I've had a G200, G400Max, G450 and G550... switched directly from the G400Max to the G550.. running a Cornerstone 50/95 21" @1600x1200 16 and 32 bit res.

Perfectly crisp (corner to corner) and top notch color saturation.

Comment

Is there anybody, who tried G550 with DVI Flat Panel(s)?

If so then is there any difference in quality between the analog and DVI output of G550 if we connect it to a dual input flatpanel?

Comment

Yeah, I have a couple G550s running digital flat panels at work.

Now, digital output is superios ro the analog output, -especially- in flat panels.. since you are fully digital then.. if you run a flat panel in analog output, then the panel had to convert back to digital, so you are going through a DAC and an ADC, and thats an extra step of precision loss over normal analog output to a monitor.

Digital DVI output rocks.. haven't tried 2 flat panels on 1 card yet though. Just wish it had a higher bandiwdth tmds transmitter so I could run 1600x1200 digital at full refresh.

Comment

Working...
                              X