Design my stereo system

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Design my stereo system

I had to leave my old stereo behind when I moved, and now I'm looking to build a new system.

I know there's plenty of audiophiles in the audience, but please, I'm trying to stay $500-$750.

Here's my loose guidelines:
    Receiver + speakers (cd player can come later).
    I'm thinking of getting a DTS receiver, but it will only be used for music at the moment.
    I'm probably looking for floor speakers. With a nice woofer, I won't need a sub.
    100W/channel from the receiver (L & R), minimum (maybe 80, if you can convince me).
    Digital inputs on the receiver are a plus.
    I'll be playing everything from Miles Davis to Pantera on this system, with some classical, Paul Oakenfold, and FLA thrown in. A bass heavy system won't cut it, but a lacking system won't either.

I'd really appreciate your input folks.

Thanks.
    Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Denon 6-speaker discrete 100w/per channel, 1-optical and 1-digital input

jim

or for a few $100 more, go with a comparable Onkyo
    System 1:
    AMD 1.4 AYJHA-Y factory unlocked @ 1656 with Thermalright SK6 and 7k Delta fan
    Epox 8K7A
    2x256mb Micron pc-2100 DDR
    an AGP port all warmed up and ready to be stuffed full of Parhelia II+
    SBLIVE 5.1
    Maxtor 40g 7,200 @ ATA-100
    IBM 40GB 7,200 @ ATA-100
    Pinnacle DV Plus firewire
    3Com Hardware Modem
    Teac 20/10/40 burner
    Antec 350w power supply in a Colorcase 303usb Stainless

New system: Under development

Comment

Wombat, check out the low end HK AVR 110. It only has 40Watts per channel but it has amazingly high current and it can rival any higher end system. It has great features such as MP3 decoding capability, dolby digital and DTS. It has many I/O ports including optical, coax, RCA, etc...

Now, plug a pair of Velodyne Speakers into it and you will be extremely pleased. You can buy the Velodyne 10" Sub and the 5 channel speaker system.

Probably cost you close to a grand if you shop around. IF you don't want to spend that much, atleast get the receiver. It lists at 399 but I am sure you can pick it up for 250-300. Don't take my word for it though, go read the reviews

Dave
      Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

btw, dont let the 40 watts scare you, they can rival 100W systems easily with the high current.

Harman/Kardon AVR110

• Adjustable speaker-delay times: Yes
        • Adjustable speaker levels: Yes
        • Bass management: Yes
        • Dolby Digital 5.1 decoding: Yes
        • Dolby Pro Logic decoding: Yes
        • DTS surround decoding: Yes
        • Dynamic-range limiting: No
        • Proprietary surround modes: 6
        • Re-EQ: No
        • Simulated surround processing: Yes
        • Test tone/noise generator: Yes
        • HDCD decoding: No
        • Analog-audio stereo outputs: 2
        • Coaxial digital-audio outputs: 2
        • Dedicated subwoofer outputs: 1
        • Headphone jack: Yes (0.25-inch)
        • Optical digital-audio outputs: 1
        • Preamp out/in loop: 0
        • Preamp outputs: 1
        • Sets of front left/right speaker outputs: 2
        • Analog-audio stereo inputs: 3
        • Analog input jacks: RCA
        • Coaxial digital-audio inputs: 3
        • Multichannel analog inputs: No
        • Optical digital-audio inputs: 3
        • Phono input: No
        • RF laserdisc digital input: No
        • Component-video outputs: No
        • Composite-video outputs: 1
        • S-video outputs: 1
        • Component-video inputs: No
        • Composite-video inputs: 3
        • S-video inputs: 5
        • AC inputs (switched): 1
        • AC inputs (unswitched): 1
        • Audio/video split: No
        • Discrete output transistors: Yes
        • DVD: Yes
        • Front audio/video input: Yes
        • Headphone volume control: No
        • In the box: Harman Kardon AVR 110 Dolby Digital/DTS surround receiver, remote control, 2 AA batteries, AM loop antenna, FM wire antenna, user's manual
        • Number of channels (including subwoofer): 5
        • Onscreen display (OSD): No
        • Screen dimmer: Yes
        • Sleep timer: Yes
        • Speaker terminals: 5-way binding posts
        • Speaker-impedance select (8 ohms/4 ohms): No
        • Text entry: No
        • Tuner: Yes
        • Phase-invert switch: No
        • Balance adjust: Yes
        • Input attenuation: No
        • Mono switch: No
        • Multiroom control: No
        • Remote component linking: No
        • Stereo-reverse switch: No
        • Volume control: Rotary
        • Automatic station setting: No
        • RF antenna input: Yes
        • Station presets: 30
        • Type: Digital AM/FM
        • RS-232 digital interface: No
        • Bass: Yes
        • Graphic/parametric equalization: No
        • Loudness: No
        • Treble: Yes
        • THX certified: No
        • Digital processors: Crystal chip digital engine
        • Digital-to-analog audio converter: 24 bits, 192 kHz
        • Frequency response (+/- 3 dB): 10 to 100,000 Hz, 10 to 8 MHz (video)
        • Power consumption: 72 watts idle, 580 watts maximum (2 channels driven)
        • Power output (stereo): 50 watts per channel (front speakers) into 8 ohms with less than 0.07 percent THD
        • Power output (surround): 40 watts per channel (front speakers), 40 wpc (surround), 40 wpc (center) into 8 ohms from 20 to 20,000 Hz with less than 0.07 percent THD
        • Signal-to-noise ratio (playback): 95 dB
        • THD (stereo): 0.07 percent
        • THD (surround, all channels driven): 0.07 percent
        • Remote control: 6 devices, programmable, universal
        • Width: 17.31 inches
        • Height: 6.5 inches
        • Depth: 17.13 inches
        • Weight: 31 pounds
        • Warranty, parts: 24 months
        • Warranty, labor: 24 months
        Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

High current amplifiers are much better than high wattage amps for a single reason... they can accurately drive a sub/woofer much better dynamically. The reason for this is due to when a bass signal impacts the woofer it'll react with an extremely low impedence back to the amp. With the typical amp unable to compensate, producing sloppy, muddied bass.

Besides that if your looking for an amp in the 100watt range -3dB down is half power or 50watts. What you will be missing is a slightly quieter overall sound. So if I were going to get anew, it'd look for terms like "High current", "High dynamic headroom" or "low impedence capable".
          "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Oops, thought that model Denon was high current, definately better off with a lower wattage "high current" receiver, that's why I own an Onkyo
            System 1:
            AMD 1.4 AYJHA-Y factory unlocked @ 1656 with Thermalright SK6 and 7k Delta fan
            Epox 8K7A
            2x256mb Micron pc-2100 DDR
            an AGP port all warmed up and ready to be stuffed full of Parhelia II+
            SBLIVE 5.1
            Maxtor 40g 7,200 @ ATA-100
            IBM 40GB 7,200 @ ATA-100
            Pinnacle DV Plus firewire
            3Com Hardware Modem
            Teac 20/10/40 burner
            Antec 350w power supply in a Colorcase 303usb Stainless

New system: Under development

Comment

I got a "current vs. watt" lesson when I built my home theater. I was in a home theater store here in town and the guy did a demo between a Harman/Kardon unit and a Sony unit. The Sony was rated at "150 watts per channel" and the HK was rated at 40 watts. The HK totally blew the Sony out of the water. The HK also had way better seperation between channels and a much cleaner sound.

You can also tell a lot about a unit by picking it up. The HK weighed at least twice as much as the Sony.

(The artist formerly known as Kindness!)

Comment

Okay, I learned the current lesson . It makes perfect sense, I just didn't know they were doing it.

I found the AVR210 for $400. Still looking around.
                Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

All of HK's web sites seem to be gone.

Comment

It's still down. Not sure why. Anyway, I actually own the AVR 210. I absolutely love it! It has more than I'll ever need and it is plenty loud for 40 watts. I have a Toshiba 2700 DVD player, Toshiba DST-3000 HDTV Receiver, Toshiba VSR, and a Harman/Kardon FL8380 CD player, and a Toshiba 40H80 HDTV hooked to it and everything works great. My only complaint is the remote for the AVR 210. It really is horrible. You may end of buying another remote because this one sucks so bad. I do own another remote for everything. Also, I'd say the speakers I have sound much better for movies than they do music. Don't get me wrong, the music still soudns great but the movies sound better.

Dave

Comment

well, I had some good suggestions but I've withdrawn them
                      Last edited by KvHagedorn; 8 October 2001, 02:49.

Comment

Wombat:

I'm very impressed with Denon equipment. I just upgraded from a Pioneer 901 Pro-Logic receiver (125W/c 2-channel; surround: 100W Front/55W centre/45W/c surround) to a Denon AVR-3802 DD/DTS-SE/DPLII 7x110W receiver. I also added a Denon DVD-2800 progressive scan player. TV is a 36" Sony Wega XBR400 NTSC.
                        The difference in just about any audio aspect you could name is immediately noticeable. Pricey but you do get what you pay for. The remote takes some getting used to but handier for tweaking bass/treble than the Pioneer.
                        Back when I got the Pioneer, mfrs of higher-end receivers seemed much more spartan and ignored A/V (especially S-video) switching as an important feature. Pioneer did the best job of it so I got one. This Denon is loaded with feature and switching goodies. They weren't like that the last time I looked.

Happy trails,
                        WinXP HE SP1& DX9b; Lian-Li PC-6089 mid alum case; Enermax 550W PSU; P4 2.8b retail; Asus P4T533-C s478/i850e; 1GB PC1066 RIMMs; Promise Ultra133 IDE PCI controller; 2x80GB Maxtor D740x 7200RPM ATA-133 HDDs; OrangeLink FireWire 800/1394b PCI card:
                        1x250GB Maxtor One Touch USB2/fw external Ultra ATA-133 7200RPM HDD; Toshiba 16x/48x DVD-ROM; Plextor PX-708A 8xDVD?R/RW CD-R/RW burner; Radeon 9800 XT retail; DVI: Samsung SyncMaster 213L 21.3" TFT; VGA: ViewSonic 22? P225f; TV OUT S-Video: Sony 36? WEGA XBR400 NTSC; TerraTec DMX 6fire LT sound card to Denon 3802 7x110W based HT; on-board LAN to Alcatel ADSL modem; Canon S750 USB printer; Canon D125O USB2 scanner; Logitech diNovo Media Desktop (Bluetooth cordless keyboard/MX900 optical mouse); Logitech Freedom 2.4 Cordless USB Joystick; Logitech WingMan Strike Force 3D USB joystick; Logitech 2.4GHz Cordless Gamepad/Rumblepad.

Comment

well, I had some good suggestions but I've withdrawn them
                          Gee KvH, you sure taught me a lesson. Now I know not to express my political views, or you'll take away your input on an unrelated subject, and leave me to mourn the loss. That'll teach me.

Christ, grow up.

Comment

LOL! I couldn't figure out what KVH was talking about but now I understand. Dude KVH, you need to relax bro. We are all human and there is always gonna be somebody that has a different opinion than you. I would bet money that some of your best friends have completely opposite views than yourself. Why don't you show your good hearted spirit and repost what your "good suggestions" are and be done with this nonesense.

Dave

Comment

Hk's website is back up.

Premium speakers from AKG such as wireless bluetooth speakers, Android & iOS headphones, soundbars, subwoofers, home theater systems, computer speakers, & iPod/iPhone docks. Get the best sound for music, smartphones, tablets & TVs with AKG speakers.

Check out this link:

Comment

Working...
                              X