Choppy DVD playback...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Choppy DVD playback...

After a long search on the forum on www.matrox.com I've sadly learned that they've fixed nothing........... My spirit is broken, my head is tired, I'm giving up.....
    SO

TO THE PROGRAMMERS..... It's easy, just go to the store. Buy Crative Encore DXR3 and... *Joink* There you have it. A perfectly running DVD playback system with NO PROBLEMS on either systems. Why don't you just do what they did.
    And that baby has been working for at least 3 years now...(even the previous models had this)

You must convert the signal to PAL60... Then it works fine(the picture is a little squizzed though but most TV bought after 1995 have a function that let you streach up your picture). You could even find the solution in vcr's with ntsc playback. They do the same thing!!!!

So get off your butts and start programming......

Deuteros...

I doubt anyone from the Matrox engineering team will read that.

In the mean time, why don't you tell us the details, to see if we can help you out.
    Primary system specs:
    Asus A7V266-E | AthlonXP 1700+ | Alpha Pal8045T | Radeon 8500 | 256mb Crucial DDR | Maxtor D740X 40gb | Ricoh 8/8/32 | Toshiba 16X DVD | 3Com 905C TX NIC | Hercules Fortissimo II | Antec SX635 | Win2k Pro

Comment

*sight*

... Well...... Here I go.

I have; Matrox Millenium g450 DualHead with the new _571 drivers, 2x 750Mhz Processors, ViaAward(newest) BIOS, Via Promise Ultra ATA controler,Pioneer 46XDVD Rom(ATA66-100), 1Gb Ram, Matrox DVD player(Cinemaster) and DVD-genie.
      My DVD-rom is connected to the ATA 100 Bus, and working properly. I've enabled DMA on my devices. My matrox card is in no conflict with any other IRQ's. . . I have the lateest service packs for my Win2Kpro and the latest bios upgrades for both my motherboard and my matrox card.

My problem; is a known one. When I play PAL(region2) DVD's ......no problem. BUT when I play NTSC(region1) DVD's my TV output(not monitor) got a choppy playback. Just like it freeze the 24th frame into the 25th or something. . . Problem occurs ofcourse because PAL has 24 frames per second(fps) and 720X576 resolution while NTSC has 25fps and 720X486 resolution.....
      My OLD mpeg decoder could handle this(Creative Encore DXR3). But I now have Matrox M G45 DH.
      What to do????

Deuteros

Comment

This probably has nothing to do with it...but...

If your ATA100 is a RAID controller...most arent meant for use with ATAPI devices (read...CD-ROMs & DVD-ROMs).

Other thing to check would be the firmware of your DVD-ROM.

AMathewsFL
        AMathewsFL
        amathewsfl@mediaone.net

Comment

As I already wrote at http://forums.murc.ws/showthread.php...82#post217282, Matrox most likely will not solve the NTSC@PAL problem.
          According to Matrox Tech Support, PAL60 support will not be added. My personal guess is that the TV-out chip of Matorx cards just doesn't support PAL60.
          If You want to emulate PAL60, connect Matrox to TV via component video (RGB) mode and choose NTSC mode from properties.
          NTSC/RGB is exactly the same as PAL60/RGB.

Comment

but but but...

.. what youre saying is that Matrox Millenium doesn't support multi region DVD playback. .???...?? I feel violated.....!!!!!..... When I went to the store and asked for a good Gfx.card with DVD out, the G450 MatroxMillenium were what they suggested. And I even dubbel checked at www.matrox.com to be sure. <" High-quality DVD playbacks "> it said, but NOOOOOOOOOOOO. Low low choppy qality unless you play your own region; is what it should have said........
            Never again will I buy a Matrox product(unless they fix it ofcourse)

Deuteros

Comment

Matrox does support multi-region playback.
              // Unlike unhacked DXR3, You suggested
              You just have to play them back at their meant-to-play-with coding, ie for R2 DVDs use PAL out and for R1 DVDs use NTSC out.
              Works like a charm.

Comment

If you have at least a semi-modern PAL TV it will most probably accept an NTSC signal. You may have to adjust the colours in your TV menu though. When playing R1 DVD's, switch Matrox TV output mode to NTSC, and to PAL with R2. You'll see the material as intended. And with NTSC you won't have to worry about the choppy TV output issue present with PAL material.

I have both R1 and R2 DVD's and absolutely no need for PAL60 with my Philips PW8006 TV.

btw, PAL is 25fps (50 fields/sec), NTSC is 30fps (or 29.997).

mikkoj

Comment

Working...
                X