• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AthlonXP confusion - it's starting

I knew it !!!!!!

Picture taken from www.aceshardware.com
    Fear, Makes Wise Men Foolish !
    incentivize transparent paradigms

eYup, bound to happen sooner than later... I imagine AMD is scrambling to correct this and future repeats of this type of BS

Some will do anything to outsell their competitors
    "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

I already had the XP XP today

somebody thought that the 1700+ will run @ 1700mhz, but AMD doesn't want it to run that fast, they only allow 1500.

his conclusion? you have to o/c it to 1700mhz to get the full power...

edit: what? a gf2 mx together with a 1700+?

mfg
      wulfman
      Last edited by Wulfman; 5 October 2001, 14:12.
      "Perhaps they communicate by changing colour? Like those sea creatures .."
      "Lobsters?"
      "Really? I didn't know they did that."
      "Oh yes, red means help!"

Comment

So where's the confusion?!? ANYONE that only knows a bit will take these "performance ratings" as what they are (marketing sh*t) and those who doesn't know are already confused by Intel with their non-performing P4. Why doesnt AMD have the right to do the same marketing BS as Intel?
        But we named the *dog* Indiana...
        My System
        2nd System (not for Windows lovers )
        German ATI-forum

Comment

OUCH!!!!!!

Live by the sword, die by the sword?

AMD SAYS THIRD-QUARTER PROCESSOR AVERAGE-SELLING PRICE DECLINE WAS LARGER THAN EXPECTED

SUNNYVALE, CA - October 5, 2001 - AMD (NYSE:AMD) said today that sales for the quarter ended September 30, 2001, at approximately $766 million, declined by 22 percent from second-quarter sales of $985.3 million. On August 29 AMD said that it expected third-quarter revenues would decline by approximately 15 percent sequentially. The company also said it expects to report a pro-forma net loss of between $90 million and $110 million or $0.26 and $0.31 per share for the quarter. The pro-forma loss does not include restructuring and other one-time special charges previously estimated at between $80 million and $110 million.SAN FRANCISCO (AP)

Computer chip maker Advanced Micro Devices Inc. warned Friday its third-quarter loss will be worse than Wall Street expected, reflecting the damage from a fierce price war with industry leader Intel Corp. Sunnyvale-based AMD said
          Paul
          Last edited by ALBPM; 5 October 2001, 21:32.
          "Never interfere with the enemy when he is in the process of destroying himself"

Comment

INDIANA

If you went out and bought the above system and discovered that the cpu wasn't running at 1700 MHz ... but "only" 1470 MHz

what would you do ?

I think you would react exactly as would most average computer buyers out there !
            You would feel cheated !

I know I would.

But of course AMD is not to blame for that or are they ?
            Fear, Makes Wise Men Foolish !
            incentivize transparent paradigms

Comment

this new thing isnt new. The old cyrix/ibm chips did it and even the old K5 did it so it's nothing new. I think that the only problems comes with the fact they state 1.7Ghz rather than just calling it an athlon 1700 or 1.7

Dont know whether it makes that much of a difference anyway. The first time user will only buy something with INTEL written on the side of the box anyway.
              1st system

Athlon AXIA Y 1Ghz @ 1.40Ghz, coolermaster hsf, Elite K7s6a, 512 MB Crucial DDR RAM, 20GB IBM 7200RPM Hard drive, Radeon 8500le 64mb, SB Audigy, 3 com 10/100NIC, 300w PSU, midi tower, FPS 1600 Surround, Belinea 17" monitor, Intellimouse explorer USB

System 2

Athlon TB 1.4 @ 1.5, Zalman Flower in silent mode, Elite K7S6A, 768MB DDRAM, Ati Radeon 8500le 64mb ddr, SB Audigy, 3Com 10/100NIC, 80GB IBM 7200rpm, Liteon 16 speed DVD, Lite-on 24102b CDRW, Songcheer Superwide, USB scanner, Intellimouse explorer, Microsoft keyboard, 19in iiyama Monitor, FPS1600

system 3
              Abit ST6 RAID, Celly 1.2 @1.4 ,512MB SDRAM, Zalman Flower HSF noisey mode, ATi Radeon 8500le, SBLIVE, 3com 10/100 NIC, 80GB Seagate barracude HDD, 40GB IBM120GXP, 60GB IBM60GXP,Extra highpoint controller card, 16x Pioneer DVD, Pioneer DVR-104 DVD-RW, ATX Full tower case. 300w psu, 17in LG monitor, 20in Samsumg telly, epson stylus colour 880, 200W RMS Surround sound amp with Mission M71 Speakers.

System 4
              Elite K7S5A, Duron 1.0, 128mb sdram, Coolermaster hsf, 80GB 120GXP IBM, Liteon 16x DVD, Radeon 7200 64MB DDR, SBLIVE.

Linksys 4 port router/firewall

512k Cable modem. nice

Comment

Well, the XP 1800 will be available from my supplier on 10/19 for $255.81 (no tax, no shipping).

Should I buy it or not?

(The artist formerly known as Kindness!)

Comment

Originally posted by Kosh Naranek
                  INDIANA

If you went out and bought the above system and discovered that the cpu wasn't running at 1700 MHz ... but "only" 1470 MHz
                  That's what I was saying. I would know this before buying the system when looking at the AthlonXP 1700+...

Birdy is correct: the only thing that really is wrong is the statement of 1700MHz down there - and you can't blame AMD for those OEM builders not having the slightest idea of computers.
                  I don't favor the performance rating crap at all but then I don't like Intels 2 GHz marketing bullshit either. It is totally irrelevant what Mega or Gigahertz the CPU runs at the only important thing is the actual performance.
                  I'd prefer a 150 MHz Intel over a 2.5 GHz AMD if it was faster, and I guess everyone would. But those Intel "junkies" don't seem to be following this logic.
                  But we named the *dog* Indiana...
                  My System
                  2nd System (not for Windows lovers )
                  German ATI-forum

Comment

Then there's the little issue that while the PR rating does indeed inform people of performance of the athlon compared to the existing P4,how will that very same PR rating stands up when intel releases the 0.13 micron version of the P4 with 512k L2 cache next month,which will be faster that the existing one,even if both are running at the same mhz.

Ultimately,PR ratings just don't work and AMD should just focus on the value for the money angle,which it wins hands down,and leave at that,it's no crime to have a part that "only" has 80% of the performance of whatever intel may release in the coming months if it costs 1/3 the price....

I believe that the only time AMD will be able to beat intel in the MHZ race will be when they release the hammer series of chips.
                    note to self...

Assumption is the mother of all f***ups....

Primary system :
                    P4 2.8 ghz,1 gig DDR pc 2700(kingston),Radeon 9700(stock clock),audigy platinum and scsi all the way...

Comment

maybe the PR rating is already aiming at the new PIV, considering the the tbird 1,4 is about as fast as the 2gig P4, a PR of 1800+ for the 1.53 Athlon XP (i liked the palomino name better) is rather underestimated

Comment

It's hard to say,but i guess we'll find out next month....,but that's assuming intel will actually stay with the northwood core at 2 ghz and according to some rumors floating about,they'll actually realease both the 2 ghz and 2.2 ghz at the same time and according to intel, the core has the capability to easily exceed that.

From what i've seen so far,comparing the existing thunderbird athlon to the palomino yeilds about a 10% performance advantage for the latter,when both are running at the same core speed of course and the palomino core may allow the athlon to hit 1.8~1.9 ghz clock speed.

As far as Intel goes their northwood will be at least 10 percent faster than the existing one just due to the increase in L2 cache alone,but that's not the only improvement it brings either(faster FPU???),and in any case they now have a core with the potential to hit 3.5 ghz+(as shown at IDF) and i honestly don't know if AMD can keep up should intel really decide to raise the stakes and introduce their cpu's at an even faster pace than we saw this year,at least until AMD's hammer series shows up.
                        note to self...

Assumption is the mother of all f***ups....

Primary system :
                        P4 2.8 ghz,1 gig DDR pc 2700(kingston),Radeon 9700(stock clock),audigy platinum and scsi all the way...

Comment

AMD isn´t fooling nobody, they never stated that the XP1700 would run at 1.7 Ghz, did they? Fujitsu/Siemens or that on-line retailer are cheating, not AMD.

AMD is cheating by introducing the XP rating? They´re cheating the costumer as much as Intel is doing by marketing the PIV as "Not since 1969, when we released the first commercial microprocessor, has there been a development at Intel as significant as this. The Intel® Pentium® 4 processor has just become the first microprocessor in history to reach the 2 GHz milestone. " "The Pentium 4 processor feeds your need for speed and performance with immersive 3D gaming experiences." From a point of view, why couldn´t this be called cheating as they 2 Ghz chip is like 5 times more expensive and a hair faster than the 1.4 Ghz from the competition.

I wonder how cheated the uninformed PIV 1.7+i845+SDRAM+MX200 32 Mb buyer will feel... probably not, you don´t really need more than that to type memos in word and check the e-mail.

AMD did the right thing. They have a very capable and scalable(?) CPU, much faster and cheaper than a PIV at the same clock speed. But that´s not enough for the computer illeterates. Mhz rulez, despite you´re being cheated on the way.

Maybe they should redesign the Athlon, give it a 30 stage pipeline, and lauch it at 50% faster speeds than PIV. Now, everybody would be happy.

Comment

Ahhh, the Cyrix's marketing strategy! I haven't seen that for quite some time...
                            Someday, we'll look back on this, laugh nervously and change the subject.

Comment

The only fair way to do it would be for all sides to agree on a benchmark program and then rate their CPU's accordingly then the big question is what do you test integer, floating point, SSE, etc. I can't see this ever happening especially if one manufacturer has a big megahertz lead over the others.
                              When you own your own business you only have to work half a day. You can do anything you want with the other twelve hours.

Comment

Working...
                              X