Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm sorry to bring this up but look what they did to Yngwie J Malmsteen!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm sorry to bring this up but look what they did to Yngwie J Malmsteen!

October 2, 2001 (Porto Alegre, Brazil - Opinião)
    From Derek Sherinian:
    This is Derek's revised response to the audience near-riot that resulted when Yngwie included the U.S. national anthem in his extended guitar solo (something Yngwie has been doing for years, by the way). http://www.dereksherinian.com/whatsnew.html

From Cássio:
    Hi there people. You can imagine why I am sending this message. First, I am Brazilian and I know what happened at Porto Alegre. What a shame that some idiots (I know that most of the fans at the gig were not doing the boos) started making the noise and throwing things at the band. The guys who made the fight were possbly drunk and I believe that they didn't know that U.S.A's anthem is being played by various bands (Ray Conniff at Curitiba, for example) as a message of respect and condolencies for the Americans who died on the WTC attack on Sep 11th. I think that music is a way for people to escape from their problems. Not to create problems. That's all. Good luck for the Americans. I hope you recover from this tragedy. Best Wishes, Cássio

From Felipe Vargas Alves:
    We were at the show and we didn't like what happend and we want apoligiese in the name of these people. The majority of the people were drunk, they wanted to make fun of you, I know it wasn't serious and we are shamed. We just want you to know that it wasn't everbody i am your biggest fan in Porto Allegre. I hope you read this E-Mail. Thank you and God bless America and Yngwie Malmsteen...

From Fernando Fachin:
    Here's my review. It sounds a little crass but it's exactly what happened and what I felt talking to a lot of Yngwie's fans after the show. A lot of people share this opinion. Any questions/suggestions reply and we can talk. First of all, I wonder if Yngwie was expecting an applause to Star Spangled Banner. He tried to play it once and got a negative response. Then during the show he tried to play it again and again. At one point of the show he said: Either you applaud or I'll leave. Maybe he should remember that we payed to see him playing his songs not Star Spangled Banner and that we speak portuguese in Brazil some most people didn't understand a word he said. I don't know why he insisted so much playing it. Quite frankly, we are tired of the American culture and we don't go to a rock concert to listen to Star Spangled Banner. He should play that in his concerts in the USA, were most people couldn't care less about his music or what he's doing. He was very "professional" to work something we payed for even after we boo'd him. People boo'd him in a spirit of jest, demonstrating that we didn't want to listen to that. It's not like we support terrorists. Rock fans are passionate and have the most distinct reactions just for the fun of it. If he was trying to promote his new album he didn't do a good job. It's interesting how other artists have different attitudes like I when I went to Steve Vai and Paul Gilbert's concerts and people boo'd some stuff but they were a good sport about it. No wonder Yngwie is considered arrogant and egocentric. I believe the audience has the right to boo (even if it's not polite). We bought our tickets and he made money in Porto Alegre and we have the right to boo if we don't like what he's doing.If you don't wanna take the risk of being boo'd maybe you shouldn't play live concerts at all anymore. It's not true that people threw shit at him, just a few guys threw his picks back. I wonder how Derek would feel it he went to a rock concert and someone played Afganistan's hymn or something. I was hoping that he would play more songs from the first 3 solo albums, like Queen in Love, Liar etc. But he played a lot from the new one (which I hadn't listened to before) and it sounded pretty much like the other ones anyway. Peace.

From ANDRÉ CONTI SILVA:
    Hi Yngwie! I was at your show last night at the Opinião, in Porto Alegre. And I feel really bad about what happened. It's a shame that some people can't understand what is going on around them. But I will explain some things about Porto Alegre and Rio Grande do Sul.

Here in Brazil we have many different political divisions and our state is governed by one of the extreme left divisions, the PT. And the majority of the people who lives in Porto Alegre agrees with this division. The problem is that they are naturally against the United States and all that is related to it. It doesn't matter to them how many people has died at the World Trade Center, they think that the U.S. deserves it. They blame the U.S. and the federal government for our social problems.

There is another problem. We have more people who speak German than speak English as second language, because of the history of our state. The Germans were the first ones to get here two hundred years ago. So, I can assure you that around 80 % of the crowd there didn't understand what you said when you asked those two questions.

I am trying to apologise to you and your crew, in the name of the mature people who was watching the show. The ones who respect your love for America. The ones who listen to Hendrix, Kiss and Yngwie Malmsteen playing Star Spangled Banner live and enjoy it. The ones who support the United States in this painful moment. In dispite of this, from Rising Force to Black Star, War to End All Wars was one the best shows I ever watched. --ANDRÉ CONTI SILVA--

From Lucas:
    I want to express my feelings to Yngwie and specially Derek for what happen in Porto Alegre last night! I don't live in Porto Alegre .. I live in Brasília, about 1600 miles far from it but I'm travelling all over Brazil to watch all the 3 concerts here (Porto Alegre, Curitiba, and Sao Paulo)... and I'm very disappointed with the public there in Porto Alegre :/ .. I'm on a hotel room , just about to leave for Derek's work shop here in Curitiba , and for the Concert tomorrow ... and I hope that the public react as humam beings .. and not like anarchists .. I apologize for those people who did that, and they don't talk for all the public there! Me for example.

Let's talk about the concert ... which was amazing before the incident ... Doogie was really great there ... really constant in all songs ... very firm ... I really loved Derek's solo ... specially there little part of "Lines in the Sand" ... Mike and Patric made they parts very well ... and very heavy too !! they almost put the place down in "Crucify"! hehehe - and Yngwie ... well .. just amazing!! I'm glad to leave my home to see all the concerts of the Brazilian tour .. I think that he got mad with me for lot's of "ahhhhhhh fire and ice!! fire and ice" screams hehehe, but ... let's wait for another time :P
    Take Care, Lucas

From Bianca:
    Yesterday, Yngwie played a concert in Porto Alegre, Brazil. In the end of his concert, he played the anthem of USA. People didn't like and started hooting at him. Let me explain to you why they did it. Some people from the south of Brazil don't like USA and they think USA just exploit Brazil. In my point of view, Yngwie played the anthem of USA in honor of those guys who died in those terrorisms attacks and were from Brazil. I think it is a beautiful attitude and I am sure those guys didn't understand it. I'd like Yngwie forgive them and understand that few Brazilians think like that way. Please, don't make that event damage the next two concerts that are coming.

From Rodrigo Campagnolo:
    First of all, I'd like to apologize for the behavior of the people in Porto Alegre. I traveled several hours by bus to see Yngwie, my first influence on the guitar, and I was shocked!!! I could not believe in my ears, hearing all those "boos" for the American anthem... I'm really really sorry, and I'm sure I'm speaking for all the fans who stand and clap their hands for your patriotism. I also like to say... Derek, I'm sorry if your spirit was gone that night, but I stayed there 'till the very end, and no one threw things on stage or cause any damage to the equipment. I was so excited 'cause I was going to see Derek Sherinian AND Yngwie on the same stage!!!!!!!!! Once again, I say sorry. As a musician who lives here in Brazil, I feel terrible. I hope the rest of the tour went great. There is nothing I can say but SORRY!!! God bless America!!!

From Arthur Alvim:
    hi, i am great fan of Yngwie and i saw the show at porto alegre (brazil) last night. First of all, i must say a feel very sorry for what happenned at the audience. Their behavior was stupid and i got very surprised for the fact the band didn't leave the show at that time. The band was extremely professional (and I know that they don't have to cope with this kind of behavior). I thank you very much for the show , feeling very sorry for the impression these punks gave to you. Maybe yngwie will never be back to porto alegre (and he shouldn't, because his real fans , including me, would go anywhere to see the show) , and i know these people here don't deserve another chance. They are stupid, they don't have any love for their country or for themselves - that's one of the things that puts my country into this poor mental condition. I hope you don't be sad with this. Many fans felt sorry and we will continue to love your work, no matter that we have to live with this kind of people. Please answer, cause we almost had a fight with these people at the show! Your fan, Arthur
    According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless...

From Maurizio Tombini:
    I was in the Porto Alegre gig. I'm very sad with all that happened. I want to say that i wasn't among those who "booed" the star spangled banner. But look, Mr., I did not buy the ticket to see American war propaganda. Here in South America (yes, mr., we have two Americas, and they're VERY different) we've been living with the uncle sam boots on our faces for too long. We'll fight terrorism, not for the USA, but for all mankind. Your keyboard man said that we have started a riot and throwed shit on stage, which is NOT TRUE. He said that we live in a peasant infested city. You know they use to call europeans "eurothrash". But, in the end, I'm sorry for all of us. A single night turned 15 years of devotion to your music into dust. I hope we can clear our hearts of all that hate.
    According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless...

Comment

Working...
    X