What do you do for a living thread...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you do for a living thread...

I dont think we have had one of these in awhile...so here goes nothing...

I work as a Contractor for the U.S. Army taking care of the hardware end of their suites of Wargames that they use to train Officers. The hardware that I take care of ranges from DEC MicroVaxs running OpenVMS to workstations running Pentium 90s(windows 3.11 and DOS 6.2 ) with DEC VT's. The othe suite is a Windows NT 4.0 setup that barely gets used. In the next couple years we are supposed to go over to a Windows 2000 based system, replacing the old P90s we got..

Scott
    Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

Tech support for my department/company / tech support for our clients / web developer / sys admin / server admin / general hardware guy.

All depends who's away today!

Comment

As little as possible
      At the moment a part time english teacher until I can improve my Japanese (and get the right visa - another story) enough to actually use the MCSE and MCDBA certification I have sitting in a box somewhere.

Dan
      Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

Used to work in a Large Scale Printing Company as a "Finishing Assistant" (Basically a Lemming that isn't allowed to Die"

Now I am setting up my own business as part of a franchise of up and coming Northern Ontario PC Shops.. And Working at the HQ Learning Management and Working over my L33t Sk1LLz at most things hardware related (Plus learning Various Styles of Programming in my spare time)

Mainly though I just properly fix the average joes system after its been "Fixed" by "Knowledgeable Techs" who can be found by picking up their cards or taking down their numbers off of public display boards.
        AMD Phenom 9650, 8GB, 4x1TB, 2x22 DVD-RW, 2x9600GT, 23.6' ASUS, Vista Ultimate
        AMD X2 7750, 4GB, 1x1TB 2x500, 1x22 DVD-RW, 1x8500GT, 22" Acer, OS X 10.5.8
        Acer 6930G, T6400, 4GB, 500GB, 16", Vista Premium
        Lenovo Ideapad S10e, 2GB, 500GB, 10", OS X 10.5.8

Comment

Well I used to run a national network of air quality monitors (GCs) which was a data handling nightmare, using PcAnywhere to collect data hourly from all over the UK, disseminating some within the hour to web pages & teletext, crunching most of it on Win95 P600s.

Now I'm Senior Computer Officer for a university. which has a pretty up to date campus-wide Win2k system. They were a M$ beta site. Mostly web/vba/E-Prime/"how do I..." stuff.

Tony.

PS maybe this thread will show how some people have time to make so many posts
          Last edited by Fat Tone; 3 October 2001, 09:33.
          FT.

Comment

For those who don't know! I am a 4th year med. student at that same Uni.

Small world.

p.s. That reminds me! I have a query re: your exchange server. I'll send you a mail Tony.
            The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

High School student in my sophmore year.

Comment

final year (5th), secondary college for food technology

(or HTL für Lebensmitteltechnologie, I guess nobody knows what a HTL is...)

mfg
                wulfman
                "Perhaps they communicate by changing colour? Like those sea creatures .."
                "Lobsters?"
                "Really? I didn't know they did that."
                "Oh yes, red means help!"

Comment

Oh yeah - I forgot - I'm actually at university too I'm about to finish my holidays and go back for my 3rd year at essex uni doing electronic engineering

Comment

I just finished school a few months ago, and now I'm an R&D Engineer for Hewlett-Packard, working on McKinley. http://cpus.hp.com
                    Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Work for SAIC in the UK. Just recently finished a 3 year placement with BP doing Application design and support in VB, Java, Asp etc. Now on the bench awaiting further placement.
                      Interests include:
                      Computing, Reading, Pubs, Restuarants, Pubs, Curries, More Pubs and more Curries

Comment

I'm a bum!

I'm a bum.

I decided I needed a year off. The year ended on October 1st. Still a bum, but not quite as rich a bum.

I have to say, it's the best job I've ever had.

Pay sucks though.

Paul

Comment

I work for Oklahoma County, Oklahoma USA.
                          I am a designer and programmer on Oracle databases.
                          I am the designer and lead programmer for our property
                          tax collection system (among other things).
                          You know, the one where we take your house if you
                          don't pay. (No pressure to get it right at all )
                          chuck
                          Chuck
                          秋音的爸爸

Comment

Professional Scapegoat.

Or to use my official title - Network Systems Analyst.

I deal with my companies Lans, Wans and anything else that the server/desktop/application guys decide <i>can't possibly be our equipment</i> and throw at the Networks team, knowing that with the sheer amount and complexity of kit we have, and the fact we only have 1 network analyiser, it can take us days or even weeks to prove our innocence.

If the internet team ever check the proxy server logs, they'll see I've been spending a lot of time on Jobserve recently.
                            Athlon XP-64/3200, 1gb PC3200, 512mb Radeon X1950Pro AGP, Dell 2005fwp, Logitech G5, IBM model M.

Comment

Retired at age 38

In former life:

Medical imaging/special procedures (angiography, CT, MRI) department head at a major teaching hospital affiliated with the University of Michigan. Also taught physics, chemistry and anatomy.

I've been using personal computers since the days of the SuperPET and ALTOS 8000. In fact I still have my SuperPET and it's in perfect working order. I started editing seriously in the mid 80's when the Video Toaster came out for the Amiga.

Now I'm doing photography and videography when I'm not playing with my son Erik, 3, or betesting to the wee hours.

Dr. Mordrid
                              Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 4 October 2001, 07:45.
                              Dr. Mordrid
                              ----------------------------
                              An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Working...
                              X