there was a beautiful blue spark

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• there was a beautiful blue spark

I tried to fix a noisy hard disk because of resonance disturbance. I managed to fix that somehow. I also have 4 extra fans that have been disabled due to NOISE!!!..

The fans have a 3 Pin power supply and when I was “mending” the hard drive one of the fan power connector got near the chassis and boom there was a beautiful blue spark and the computer turned off (Doh). (I had to have it on else I could not locate the noise generator)

I tried to power it on and it worked J. Does the asus board cusl2-c have some sort of short circuit protection? Or the PSU?

The 4 fan connectors are now chain to other cables so that it’s impossible for them to touch any metal. (They are connected to the PSU so I cannot disabled them)

Is it really electricity going in them now? Or not until it is a complete circuit? Like when it touched the chassis?

Also do you think that if something went wrong I would have noticed it right away? (So my mobo is now safe)

Many questions, I hope for some answer. You can laugh and mock me but please some serious answers too!

Best regards, Tor
    Best regards
    Tor

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic"
    Arthur C. Clarke

Static will be attracted to whatever is of opposite in field polarity, regardless of whether the systen is on or off.

Most PS do have short circuit protection, but this does not prevent damage that can be done by static discharge.
    "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Just make sure you're grounded. And the system too.
      Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

That's what she said!
        "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

Comment

Ya!!!! Always keep one foot on the floor....

ZAP!!!! Ouch !!!! I hate that when when the static arcs right off the tip of my

Paul
          "Never interfere with the enemy when he is in the process of destroying himself"

Comment

I had this one class that had about 40 computers in a small room with carpeting and really dry air. It was basically stand up, touch table - ZAP. Walk a couple steps, touch table - ZAP. Sit back down - ZAP. Hope nobody ever decides to open up a system while in that room, cause it'll sure to fry something.
            Gigabyte GA-K8N Ultra 9, Opteron 170 Denmark 2x2Ghz, 2 GB Corsair XMS, Gigabyte 6600, Gentoo Linux
            Motion Computing M1400 -- Tablet PC, Ubuntu Linux

"if I said you had a beautiful body would you take your pants off and dance around a bit?" --Zapp Brannigan

Comment

TnT why hasn't any antistatic treatment been done to the carpet?!

Comment

Greebe, I have no idea. I took it a couple years ago though, so maybe they got around to it eventually. It was the Cisco Networking Academy for High School, and they just built the room for it since the program was pretty new in my area.
                Gigabyte GA-K8N Ultra 9, Opteron 170 Denmark 2x2Ghz, 2 GB Corsair XMS, Gigabyte 6600, Gentoo Linux
                Motion Computing M1400 -- Tablet PC, Ubuntu Linux

"if I said you had a beautiful body would you take your pants off and dance around a bit?" --Zapp Brannigan

Comment

Working...
                X