Hmm... I just realized MB of RAM in my system is nearly == Mhz

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hmm... I just realized MB of RAM in my system is nearly == Mhz

Never really thought about it, but I have a Celeron 466 and 448MB of RAM.
    Gigabyte GA-K8N Ultra 9, Opteron 170 Denmark 2x2Ghz, 2 GB Corsair XMS, Gigabyte 6600, Gentoo Linux
    Motion Computing M1400 -- Tablet PC, Ubuntu Linux

"if I said you had a beautiful body would you take your pants off and dance around a bit?" --Zapp Brannigan

Would you mind putting that into terms that the rest of the world can follow.
    "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Actually, I thought that the subject and sentence was quite self explanatory... *ducks and runs for the hills*

I'm sure what TnT meant was he nearly has 1MB for every 1Mhz of his processor. 448MB almost 466Mhz.

Thing is, most people don't have equal or more RAM than processor, as it doesn't boost too much in performance.

J1NG
      *still running*

Comment

I think he's just thinking aloud.

Comment

lol

yeah pretty much thinking out loud while doing some other stuff and reading the forum. Basically I was thinking about people with 500Mhz comps and 128 MB of RAM or people with 1Ghz and 512 MB of RAM. The RAM to Mhz ratio is important... didn't you know that???
          Gigabyte GA-K8N Ultra 9, Opteron 170 Denmark 2x2Ghz, 2 GB Corsair XMS, Gigabyte 6600, Gentoo Linux

"if I said you had a beautiful body would you take your pants off and dance around a bit?" --Zapp Brannigan

Comment

What happens when you've got more RAM than processing power then?

J1NG
            4GB RAM on a 1Ghz system is useless if you ask me... even if it is DDR PC2100...

Comment

I wouldn't uses 4g memory on a 1 g system, hmm.. 3 Gig of disk cache, maybe I would 8-)

But my brother who does atomic scatteringm modeling would use that and more if he could get it.

large database servers would consume that amount easily, even a smaller one would benefit form it, total database in memory with mirroring to a hardrive for backup.

my memory /mhz trend

16k /2mhz atari 400
              64k /2mhz atari 600xl
              2mb /8mhz atari 1040 st
              4mb /8mhz atari 520 ste
              8mb /66mhz pentium 66
              32mb /150mhz cyrix 150+
              48mb /233mhz k6
              64mb /450mhz celeron 300a
              128mb/450mhz celeron 300a
              256mb/980mhz duron 750
              512mb/1400mhz athlon 1.4

so thats a 32000x increase in memory
              and 700x increase in mhz

so memory capacity has increased a lot more than mhz but memory size is starting to match mhz increase rate..

hmm...I have to much spare time

Comment

That makes two of us Marshmallowman! Me for starting this thread and you for really analyzing it.

I can see some fields needing as much RAM as they can get, such as the one you mentioned.

I think I just need a new processor... I'm thinking a cheap PIII, is there such a thing, to hold me over until the next generation of processors come out. Then I'll get a new mobo and processor (assuming I have a job by then).

Comment

I'm getting mighty close to the RAM > MHz mark... 768 megs, 800 MHz Celeron (but it's O/C'ed to 1050).

Comment

Sometimes, I'm using our new working rig and that is 2x 1.2GHz Athlon MP on 2GB PC2100 ...
                    Despite my nickname causing confusion, I am not female ...

ASRock Fatal1ty X79 Professional
                    Intel Core i7-3930K@4.3GHz
                    be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2
                    4x 8GB G.Skill TridentX PC3-19200U@CR1
                    2x MSI N670GTX PE OC (SLI)
                    OCZ Vertex 4 256GB
                    4x2TB Seagate Barracuda Green 5900.3 (2x4TB RAID0)
                    Super Flower Golden Green Modular 800W
                    Nanoxia Deep Silence 1
                    LG BH10LS38
                    LG DM2752D 27" 3D

Comment

Wow... I'm afraid to know what they use a PC like that for!

Comment

Nothing scary ...

we're doing visual FX for movies and TV series and run a couple of tools to generate and combine some nice pictures.

Despite my nickname causing confusion, I am not female ...

ASRock Fatal1ty X79 Professional
                        Intel Core i7-3930K@4.3GHz
                        be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2
                        4x 8GB G.Skill TridentX PC3-19200U@CR1
                        2x MSI N670GTX PE OC (SLI)
                        OCZ Vertex 4 256GB
                        4x2TB Seagate Barracuda Green 5900.3 (2x4TB RAID0)
                        Super Flower Golden Green Modular 800W
                        Nanoxia Deep Silence 1
                        LG BH10LS38
                        LG DM2752D 27" 3D

Comment

Yeah lots of RAM is nice for multimedia stuff, but with my processor I have to do all the encoding while I'm sleeping.

Comment

Working...
                          X